Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 09:11 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,196,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Probably. That might actually help some people believe that airborne food allergies are possible and not just the product of an overprotective parent's imagination.

I used to babysit a little girl who had to wear a mask outdoors because dust and pollen triggered her asthma. She had to wear it on the playground at school too, and stay inside for recess during ozone action days. Her mom always felt like she was safer at school than home because the father smoked inside their apartment all the time.

As a former smoker, I am appalled at that father's behavior. Take it outside!!! My goodness.

I just wonder how well people would take to a no hairspray/perfume/cologne rule if it were enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 09:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,767,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

I just wonder how well people would take to a no hairspray/perfume/cologne rule if it were enforced.
That's the best thing about going to the allergist's office. No one will be wearing any products that make it difficult for me to breathe, at least the staff won't be.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,067,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
He could. Will people with peanut allergies die if in contact with peanuts? They have a better chance of lightning striking them.
By the way. I have peanut allergies according to my doctor. So does my daughter and im sure if we have my grand son tested he is too.

And the story is true.
Yes, some will. Read the thread. I posted links to stories of people dying from nut exposure pages and pages ago. Really, it's common knowledge that nut allergies can be fatal.

Anaphylaxis Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment & Management | AAAAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
You have to actually ingest it.
No, you don't.

Quote:
He's not making stuff up.

Do you follow Special Books by Special Kids on Facebook?

Chris Ulmer travels the globe interviewing adults and children with a wide variety of disabilities. Many of these people simply can't attend a school of any sort because of their condition. A recent video he posted featured a middle schooler named John. John has epidermolysis bullosa, that causes the skin to fall off his body. He's rarely able to leave his home let alone attend public school, though he would absolutely love to do so.

There are conditions so severe that public schooling simply isn't an option.

I'd guess most of us parents don't envy these kids or families their struggles in life. We don't delight in the trouble of others. But sometimes, it really is not possible for someone to function in a public environment AND protect their well being.
Is a peanut allergy comparable to something like that? I don't think so. Especially not when there are other options like, oh I don't know, nut-free classrooms.

Quote:
Again.

Death, while obviously the very worst outcome of an allergy, is NOT the only measure of an equal education. I challenge any of you to try to learn a new concept or build on a new one when you can hardly see the board for watery eyes and your head feels like it weighs 50 pounds.
Again, as I said, probably 50 pages ago, I would support accommodations for someone with a reaction like that. Again, as was pointed out about 50 pages ago, there may be accommodations in place for people like that, that you don't know about. Why do you keep coming back to that? Your argument sounds like "I don't get special treatment, so you shouldn't either."

Old 08-01-2017, 09:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,067,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I am asking, specifically whatsnext, what she envisions for these severely allergic kids. She seems to think they shouldn't be in a regular classroom. I'm asking to follow that thought out to the end.

We've established that it is rare, therefore, there unlikely to be many kids in one area.

She wants them out of the regular classroom/school so as not to inconvenience other families.

The kid(s) have a right to a public education.

I am asking how, where, and with whom.

Special ed school? No, not for a non-SPED kid. Plus, the special ed kids couldn't bring peanuts, so what would be the point?

Homeschool? Not for a family where both parents work, or the parent is single, or just plain doesn't want to homeschool.

Special school for kids with peanut allergies? Probably not enough kids to do that.

1:1 student-teacher ratio? Too expensive, not to mention socially isolating for the kid.

What is the solution, if not classroom nut bans? Saying "they shouldn't be at school" is not enough. Where should they be?
Still no answer to this, I see.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:51 PM

50,106 posts, read 46,699,006 times
Can't have the snowflakes sit at a table apart from the rest. We'd rather lock down the entire campus than make those affected feel like they are somewhat different.

Even if it's life threatening.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:07 PM

3,275 posts, read 2,322,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
So the constitutional right to a free public education doesn't apply to kids with severe allergies because other kids want to eat peanut butter? Think about what you're saying.
No. the allergY kid stills gets the education. He just has to sit in another room when kids eat lunch. The horror! Imagine having to sit at a separate table or room if it means you can continue to live. A small price to pay and he still gets educated.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:13 PM

1,078 posts, read 930,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Some people's allergy to peanuts is severe enough that the smell of it alone can kill them. Kill them. I have never heard of anyone with an allergy to pollen, or most other things, as severe as that.

I am allergic to grass, pollen, mold, trees, dust, and all sorts of air born allergens. Mums and hay are my biggest triggers so fall is a difficult time. I take Zyrtec 365 days a year. I only have to take something else if I have a flair up. Unless I literally roll in hay, a field of flowers, some fresh cut grass, or spend a long time cleaning some really dusty things, I don't get flair ups unless I miss a dose of medication. Even if go off of medication altogether, I could end up in the hospital, but I'm unlikely to die and it wouldn't be immediate. It would be a complication. I am fortunate.

Unfortunately for those with peanut allergies, they can't take a magical little pill to prevent their symptoms, or worse, their death.
To be fair, my shellfish allergy is that bad. It's not just nuts that can cause anaphylaxis with airborne protein. And I live in one of the seafood capitals of the world at present, though I'm leaving soon.

Epinephrine is necessary, not forcing everyone else to be compliant. I hate dosing but you do what you have to do.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:25 PM

14,219 posts, read 11,513,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Still no answer to this, I see.
I'm fine with the school peanut ban. It is for a few years of my child's life; it's hardly going to hurt him or her to consider someone else's medical needs over his personal food preferences.

About the only thing that would concern me is that if my child inadvertently exposes the allergic child to peanuts--say, there is a smear of peanut butter on her shirt that no one notices--and causes a serious reaction, that would be pretty traumatic for her (and me). I'm not saying it is as frightening as having a serious allergic reaction, but we would certainly feel guilty and absolutely terrible. And if the child died, oh my gosh, we would never get over it.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:45 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,767,263 times
It's also common for kids with allergies, especially multiple food allergies, to be bullied at school, sometimes with devastating results. School boy died from allergy when 'cheese was secretly put into his sandwiches' | Metro News

Old 08-02-2017, 01:25 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,437,631 times
Honest to God, I want to know what the parents of those kids whom are so severely allergic to peanut dust and oils want done. According to you, these allergies are so severe you are insisting on peanut free schools. Fine. When my kid was young she was no peanut butter fanatic, could take it or leave it. Didn't care one way or another. But for those of you insisting on peanut free schools, what about the other food sources, lots of packaged foods, that contain peanuts or were processed in factories that processed other foods with peanuts? Or how about families that ate peanuts/peanut butter at home and their child came to school with dust/oil on them? The elementary school my kid attended was about 80% free breakfast/lunch. I can guarantee you that the majority of parents who sent lunch with their children were not studying labels. Six years in that school (me volunteering and opening milk cartons for kindergartners) and I don't remember one peanut emergency despite knowing a few kids who were allergic. I ate a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup earlier this evening and now I'm terrified that I'm going to accidentally harm a child tomorrow when I head out to do errands unless I scrub myself down with lye tomorrow morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting