Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2017, 08:38 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times

Advertisements

The severity of these allergies sound Terrible and it's very sad. It's another reason why I wouldn't trust anyone if my children were highly allergic like this. You simply can't depend on other people in these situations it seems even when there is a ban. These stories also sound rare which is good...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 07:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I most certainly didn't say "autism is a mild annoyance." I said not being able to pack PB is a mild annoyance.
I'll say it again. Many children WITH autism will NOT eat anything besides a CERTAIN food no matter WHAT. So yes, it is more than a MILD ANNOYANCE when this is something you are faced with.

Hope that clears it up for ya!!!!

Old 08-06-2017, 07:44 AM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Organizations like the American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology do not recommend schools instituting bans on peanut butter and other products which may contain peanuts. They believe it creates a false sense of security for those with allergies. They also believe that banning these products does a disservice to children with allergies because it doesn't teach kids to be responsible for themselves.

Personally, I know children who have moderate to severe environmental allergies which include things like perfume and hairspray. These children must sit in classrooms with teachers and students who wear both of these things on a daily basis. One child in particular has such bad allergies that he receives weekly allergy shots and takes Zyrtec every day with Benadryl as needed. Where are the bans on perfumes, body sprays, hairsprays, fresh flowers, etc.?

Another example would be other food allergies such as shellfish, milk, egg, soy (which ironically is mentioned as a good alternative to peanut butter lovers) and wheat. Still others have allergies to things like strawberries, tomatoes and apples. Shall we ban all of these as well?

Lastly, I know many people with moderate to severe allergies to pollen, grass, trees, bees and wasps. Should we ban all children from being outside so those with allergies do not have to suffer while their schoolmates enjoy time outside?

I am sympathetic to the plight of parents who have to deal with children's allergies. It really stinks and its a crap card to be dealt. But I don't understand why we are not teaching children how to deal with their own medical issues when, at some point, they will be in a world where these things are simply not controllable. One last thing...I have a friend whose daughter is 24 years old. She has a severe peanut allergy. She always carries an EpiPen with her and has been taught from a young age how to protect herself and be educated on what she is ingesting. Her mother (my friend) is against such food bans because she feels it can be dangerous for children not to understand how important it is to be one's own advocate when it comes to dealing with one's health.
My child has a life threatening peanut allergy that was diagnosed when he was 13 months old. His allergy is severe and he could die if exposed to peanuts. The allergy is so severe he could have issues if it comes in contact with skin, is ingested or inhaled he could have a life threatening reaction. He was tested again recently and will never outgrow his allergy.

I have had to teach him- his entire life to be "responsible" for his allergy.

How do you explain to a 2 year old you can't eat peanut butter or you could DIE? Try and wrap your head around that for a minute? Two year olds can't read food labels so they rely on competent adults to protect them. It's scary to leave your child at daycare, school, when they are little (elementary) because you don't know when some irresponsible moron that doesn't think peanut allergy is a "big deal" is going to bring a treat to school that could potentially kill your child or some grubby kid gets peanut butter all over their hands and touches your kid. Is your kid's peanut butter cookies for a birthday at school worth my kid's life?

My kid has had to read food labels since he was in Kindergarten. Sometimes his teacher was not able to read the label correctly...Scary.

It's clear from your post you do not have a child who has a life threatening allergy that could possibly take their life or think that is a big deal. It's a little more than a "crap card."

Please educate yourself. It's not like a minor allergy where you break out, take some Benadryl and everything is OK the next day. Sorry hairspray and perfume aren't likely to kill. Peanut butter is for some kids. My son's allergy doctor does not let kids self-carry EpiPens until they 13. You really think a 5 year old child could self inject their EpiPen correctly and be "responsible"? I know adults that would have a hard time self injecting.

No one who has a child with a life threatening allergy does not teach their child to be "responsible" for their allergy and avoid the allergen. Clearly, anyone with a kid with a life threatening allergy teaches their kid to live in the real world which is not peanut free.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:48 AM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Hope this isn't OT. There is a thread on the Allergies site about Peanut Allergy. My daughter's OB 4 years ago told her to eat peanut butter once a week during her entire pregnancy to avoid her child developing a peanut allergy. She did and he doesn't have it. I know that I ate peanut butter when I was pregnant with her. She never developed it.

I wonder how many Mom's, whose kids have this allergy, ate peanut butter themselves on a regular basis when they were pregnant? Could this be the reason and solution? Since her OB specially told her to do this, has a study already been done?

Edit: It was very common in my generation and before for adults (pregnant women too) to eat peanut butter sandwiches. Probably not so much today because of dieting and weight gain. Reason why more kids today have this allergy?
I ate peanut butter daily when I was pregnant and my kid is severely allergic. That theory is out the door. My sister's child is also allergic to peanut butter.

Neither my sister or I have any food allergies and we both love peanut butter.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:57 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
I ate peanut butter daily when I was pregnant and my kid is severely allergic. That theory is out the door. My sister's child is also allergic to peanut butter.

How do you know your child is allergic? A alergy test?

One thing to note is that school age children rarely have anaphylactic reactions. It mostly seems to be people over 18 yo.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:23 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,100 times
Quote:
Sorry hairspray and perfume aren't likely to kill. Peanut butter is for some kids. My son's allergy doctor does not let kids self-carry EpiPens until they 13. You really think a 5 year old child could self inject their EpiPen correctly and be "responsible"? I know adults that would have a hard time self injecting.
Asthma attacks caused by environmental allergens can be deadly if not treated, so I don't think you can make that assumption about perfume etc. More importantly, I think you may want to consider getting a new doctor if he/she will not allow self-carry until the age of 13. I put an Epipen shot in my daughter's bookbag when she started riding the bus in elementary school. The bus can be a real danger zone for kids with allergies. Plus kids should start learning to remember to carry their own shot at as young of an age as possible--certainly before the age of 13.

Quote:

Yes, I actually craved cheese when I was pregnant with my daughter who is severely allergic to milk. Those theories and many of the other ones like the hygiene hypothesis and the vaccination one pretty much are out the window for us since our daughter was born allergic to milk.

The only theory that makes sense in our cause is that alterations in the food supply have led to this problem. I have read of a number of people who are only allergic to GMO soy for example, not other soy. There also is a strong correlation between the rise in peanut allergies and the genetic alterations of legumes. My daughter was born after the food industry was playing with growth hormones in milk. I think it is possible individuals with more genetically sensitive immune systems perceive these alterations as invaders in their body and overact. The scientific community would not get funding to test this idea though since Monsanto and other food giants have deep pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
One thing to note is that school age children rarely have anaphylactic reactions. It mostly seems to be people over 18 yo.
That is untrue. The main difference is children often are medically treated better when they have reactions since adults in their lives ensure they have epipens available etc. Most deaths happen in the teen years and young adult ages because they are more likely to forget an epipen or take more chances.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
I dont see how telling a 2 yr old they cant have a certain food should be a big deal. It's out of sight out of mind for them. Dont keep it around them.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:08 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Then post the thousands of news articles of all the kids who died due to peanut butter being brought to class.
I didn't say there are thousands of kids dying, so why would I post articles?

Something can be serious without being common (anaphylaxis, botulism, human rabies). very rare, but deadly.

Something can be very common without being serious (common cold, hand foot and mouth in kids). Very common but mostly harmless.

We're not talking about peanut allergies because they are common. We're talking about them because they can be deadly.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:41 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I dont see how telling a 2 yr old they cant have a certain food should be a big deal. It's out of sight out of mind for them. Dont keep it around them.
Sure, easy if they are under your care constantly and in your peanut free home but the danger comes when they go to daycare or to a party or to a friend or relatives house, to a restaurant, a playground, etc. . That is when they have to rely on competent adults to read labels for them and to make sure they aren't given anything with peanuts in the ingredients. You missed the rest of Angie's post when you responded to this.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:45 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I didn't say there are thousands of kids dying, so why would I post articles?

Something can be serious without being common (anaphylaxis, botulism, human rabies). very rare, but deadly.

Something can be very common without being serious (common cold, hand foot and mouth in kids). Very common but mostly harmless.

We're not talking about peanut allergies because they are common. We're talking about them because they can be deadly.
Everything is deadly. There are hundreds of issues that kill many more kids then peanut allergies. Lets start with the issues that only affect the kids that are involved.
Lets ban bicycles,
Lets Ban skateboards,
Lets ban chewing gum,
lets ban Camps.
Lets ban swimming pools,
Lets ban sports,
Lets ban electricity,
Lets ban bathtubs,
Lets ban concrete sidewalks,
Lets ban kids riding in cars,
Lets ban schools and teachers. Both contribute to more child deaths than peanut allergies.
Lets ban the parents while we are at it since many think that schools do a better job.
i can go on and on and on about things that are more deadly to kids then peanut allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting