Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:28 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,369 times

Advertisements

This sure makes me appreciate my up bringing. My parents grew up dirt poor and worked hard for what we had which wasn't a lot but it was enough. My parents learned early on how hard the "real" world is, they were determined to teach us the same. If we wanted something (other than the basics, and the occasional gift) we would have to work for it, there were no free rides in my parents house. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 AM

915 posts, read 3,180,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The last year they made the Mitsubishi 3000GT was 1998...
ya lol

Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
Hahaha. I think you guys are a bit uptight.

When I turn 16, in august, I am not accepting anything less than a Land Rover. My parents know that, and are willing to do it. Hell, they bought my sister one car, she crashed it and they bought her another.

It's not a matter of making a point. It's seeing a smile on your child's face.
And, that is all my parents look for.

Are you jocking or are you for real????

Old 04-07-2008, 07:41 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:

When I turn 16, in august, I am not accepting anything less than a Land Rover. My parents know that, and are willing to do it. Hell, they bought my sister one car, she crashed it and they bought her another.

You are lucky you arent mine! Actually your parents are not doing you any favors. 30 years from now you'll be another spoiled broke dude!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:58 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,870,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
The last year they made the Mitsubishi 3000GT was 1998...
Ok, so I got the model wrong...that's what they said. It was some new Mitsubishi sports car. The point is that it was an expensive, powerful car.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:

And this is why our country is going to H*** in a hand basket.....

Old 04-07-2008, 08:14 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
I think the comments here ranged from bashing the unappreciative teen to judging wealthy parents based on the gifts they can afford to give their children. Similar but not the same issue. I think everyone wants to give their kids the 'best' of everything (and most people try) but that 'best' is usually limited by your individual financial circumstance. One parent's best is a used '95 mustang while the other's may be an '09 Mercedes. I don't think its fair to say that the child in the second example is spoiled or that there's something wrong with the parents. The reaction to the gift (and not the gift itself) is the better indicator to whether you're dealing with a spoiled brat or not.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I think the comments here ranged from bashing the unappreciative teen to judging wealthy parents based on the gifts they can afford to give their children. Similar but not the same issue. I think everyone wants to give their kids the 'best' of everything (and most people try) but that 'best' is usually limited by your individual financial circumstance. One parent's best is a used '95 mustang while the other's may be an '09 Mercedes. I don't think its fair to say that the child in the second example is spoiled or that there's something wrong with the parents. The reaction to the gift (and not the gift itself) is the better indicator to whether you're dealing with a spoiled brat or not.
And if you read the post that you say we are bashing, it is stated plainly that he/she "will not settle for anything less than a Land Rover." That sounds pretty spoiled and unappreciative to me. If my son tried to dictate what he would and would not have, he'd be walking.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:24 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
I was referring to my example of the person receiving the '09 Mercedes (not to any comment in particular).

Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,864 times
Quote:

I hope you "grant" your parents a smile not only when they buy you some very expensive gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting