Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:40 AM

26 posts, read 14,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I went through this with my two boys. Don't even take a chance. Get drug test kits off ebay or Amazon or even the local drug store. There is no reason that she should refuse to take the test. If she does then I would suspect something is up.
jet757f, Thank you for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Feeling cold can be the result of an illness. Or it could be drugs. Or it could be self-harm. Or it could be an attempt to hide bruises inflicted by an abusive boyfriend.

Best bet is probably to schedule a checkup at the doctor's to rule out all of the above. If nothing shows up, she's just being a kid.
Catgirl, thank you for the info. Yes, we are concerned, but hope for the best.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My son started using drugs when he was 15 and I was clueless. What don't you ask her in a non-accusatory way if she is using drugs or if she is depressed. Sometimes, especially with young people, they don't know how to tell their parents they are depressed, they just withdraw. She could have mononucleosis or another virus making her tired. Just let her know you are there for her in a non-judgmental way.
chiluvr1228, thank you for the info. yes, we are preparing to start the conversation when she comes home.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Agreed, and even if she's had taken drugs, it's more likely to be something like weed or alcohol rather than going straight to needle drugs. That's a big step, and it's not cheap.
fleetiebelle, thank you for the info. we didn't know that. but she is working in the summer, and has her own bank account. we may not be able to find out if she spent things in cash. But we appreciated that you pointing it out.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
If you are at the point where you are wondering if she is taking drugs then she probably is.
RogerAnthony,
Thank you. We want to find out and hope for the best.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Something is wrong. Depression sounds more likely than drug abuse. If you had a good relationship with her pediatrician, and the pedi will still see her, I'd start there.
parentologist, Thank you for the info. She has her own doctors from her college healthcare system. There is no way we could "work" with her doctors for that. Besides, she is 19, and she is entitled to keep her own medical records. We still appreciated that your pointing this out.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Maybe she is hiding tattoos...
Angie, Thank you. We want to find out and hope for the best.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
there are at home drug tests that you can use to confirm your suspicion, but keep in mind that a 19 year old is an adult.

drugs are rampant but recreational drugs such as marajuana, meth, lsd and others would be the first things to reach for before injecting.

I'm betting the long sleeves are covering a tattoo.

teens and adults sleep alot, their circadian rhythms are just different.
gunslinger, Thank you for the info. Yes, we want to find out, and we hope for the best.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
How do you know the college has a drug problem? How are your daughter's grades? Kids with hard drug habits don't do well in school, and don't last long. Nothing you've indicated about her behavior screams drug abuse.
Mattie, Thank you. We just want to find out and hope for the best.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellebud View Post
Self harm, "cutting", is unfortunately very popular among young girls today. I'd try to see her arms if you can, so that you can provide support and help if that's the case.

If she has needle marks, then that's not something to take lightly and any parent telling you to 'get over it' isn't a good parent and not someone you want advice from. Teens drinking a bit, maybe smoking pot in college is hopefully what these other parents mean, not shooting up.

Good luck and I hope all is good with your daughter.
bellebud, Thank you. Yes, we want to find out and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting