Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 12:23 AM

3 posts, read 1,632 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a student at UC Berkeley studying Development Psychology. A few of my classmates and I just created a website about helping children develop creativity! It's important to nurture creativity early (creativity peaks around preschool age), and we've put together some ways that parents can help their children become more creative.
Please check out our website and tell others about it if you found it useful!
https://developingcreativity.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
pkong, that's a really pretty website that's easy to navigate around on.

I'd suggest it's a useful website for beginning students to use, to introduce concepts like "Authoritative Parenting" and concepts like the value of encouraging creativity.

I don't think it will be a helpful resource for parents who are new to the idea of fostering creativity in their children. It speaks in academic psychological generalities that everyone knows already, and doesn't give enough concrete examples that are helpful.

I'd suggest you clearly define "Authoritative Parenting" as a concept, giving examples. "Authoritative" is synonymous with "dictatorial", which is the opposite of what you're trying to encourage. Most parents who don't know how to encourage creativity or necessarily value it also will be completely mislead by the term "Authoritative Parenting" to mean it's my way or the highway bub, because I said so.

I'd also suggest you have a link for creative resources. Put printable pages for creative questions to ask in the car, a printable page of circles and other shapes similar to the page of circles given in the "circles creativity test", ideas of things to have on hand (puppets, playdough, blocks, connecting tubes, felt board with shapes, sidewalk chalk, "fridget magnet marble game", Klutz books series, etc.)

Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Seems like pretty basic info

Old 08-08-2017, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 1,632 times
Clara, thanks for the feedback. I've tried to clarify the definition of authoritative parenting, in contrast to authoritarian parenting (the one that is actually synonymous with dictatorial)
We'll look for some more resources that parents can actually use and update the website.
Thanks again!

Old 08-08-2017, 05:44 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
I didn't check your website or link but I will say. .. . Parents that don't like mess.. . Don't like messy kids. . . Don't have a creative bone in their body have a hard time working with and encouraging their children in the arts. Even those that do enjoy art and want to interact with their kids don't know how to limit supplies / pinpoint age and fine motor skills. Unless they're a teacher or research it. And some parents are just so tired of basic household chores the art stuff stays hidden and out of mind.

Just like any activity there are rules and expectations. Helping with clean up is one. Waiting your turn, taking your time. Not trimming your sisters hair is another.

I loved it when I was told my fridge was too empty and was given artwork to display by a 7 year old. Part of encouragement is being proud in displaying their accomplishments. It's the 'show and tell' that gives children confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting