Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2017, 03:55 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post

Also can he move the equipment then? Seems pointless to have a whole room used for storage knowing damn well you have two daughters who might hate sharing a room sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 04:47 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,085,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Those kids did not chose to be born. If you cannot pay the bills or have no space for children, don't have any. It is YOUR choice, not theirs.

Choosing a computer hobby room over giving kids their own room is rather selfish.

Not all kids are the same. Some want privacy, some don't. OPs kids do not want to share nor should they. I am all for eating veggies and being strict but having their own room is a simple human need.

They have space, and the children just want different space. It's absolutely ridiculous to insinuate that a family can only have enough to children to put one kid in each bedroom, except for the parent(s)' room. Having one's own room is not a simple human need.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
It is not unreasonable, but there is also noting wrong with them sharing one room. If you can accommodate, fine, if not, fine also.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
This idea that not expending tens of thousands of additional dollars to get more bedrooms (or even hundreds of thousands of additional dollars) is somehow "disrespectful" of one's children is as addled a notion as I've ever heard.
The OP already has the extra room. And considering the two girls probably already have their own bedroom sets, I dont see how it would cost tens of thousands of dollars to move one daughter into the extra room.

Last edited by Sundaydrive00; 08-08-2017 at 06:26 PM..

Old 08-08-2017, 06:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The OP already has the extra room. And considering the two girls probably already have their own bedroom sets, I dont see how it qould cost twns of thousands of dollars to move one daughter into the extra room.
Exactly. I don't think anyone on this thread is advocating going into some kind of financial ruin in order to give each child their own personal haven. These people already have the room.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:37 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
The family should do what is best for them. If it's a workspace then the girls need to deal with sharing a room. If it's just a room to store junk, then maybe packing up that junk and moving it to the basement or garage would make more sense. At any rate there is no right or wrong answer her. It's what works best for the family.

On a side note...I don't think that kids who have their own rooms are spoiled. If you have the space and don't need it for a work space or for visitors then give them their own rooms. If you need that space then don't. They can share as they are close in age and same gender. No one is saying to move just so they have their own rooms, now that would make them spoiled!!!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
There is NOTHING wrong with them wanting separate rooms and there is NOTHING wrong with saying no... why draw conclusions on a non-issue?

Old 08-08-2017, 09:49 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,715,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfapple View Post
I have 2 daughters, 12 and 10, who share a bedroom. Both daughters, especially the older one, are telling us that they want their own bedroom. The problem with this is that the only other room in the house that we could turn into a bedroom is the room where DH, who's a computer technician, keeps all of his technology equipment. We'd have to remove a lot of things from that room and put them elsewhere in the house, which would be very inconvenient to him.

Frankly, I can't understand why they have a problem sharing a room. My sister and I never had a problem sharing a room when we were growing up, and she and I are even further apart in age.

1.) It is not unreasonable for them to want their own rooms.

2.) It is not unreasonable for them to share, either, but your daughters are not you and your sister. The personalities/dynamics are completely different.

3.) Is the extra room an actual office where your husband works, or is it just a storage space? If the former, that takes precedence. If the latter, then your husband can find someplace else to store it.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:25 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Beaver and Wally (Leave it to Beaver) and David and Ricky (The Nelsons) both lived in houses that I presume had at least 3 bedrooms - the initial Nelson home must've had 5 (looked like a small hotel). But those boys always shared one bedroom. Twin beds no less. Right up to college age. They seemed no worse for the wear. So what's the fuss?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Beaver and Wally (Leave it to Beaver) and David and Ricky (The Nelsons) both lived in houses that I presume had at least 3 bedrooms - the initial Nelson home must've had 5 (looked like a small hotel). But those boys always shared one bedroom. Twin beds no less. Right up to college age. They seemed no worse for the wear. So what's the fuss?
I try not to base my decisions on 1950's TV shows.

That kind of stuff is done on TV to facilitate interaction and conversation between characters. It has nothing to do with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting