Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:47 PM

181 posts, read 138,915 times

Advertisements

Many people believe that they should do things like listen to classical music while they are pregnant.

They feel that they should make an effort to expose their child to intelligent and positive situations while they are forming in the womb.

Does any one believe that stuff like that has a real effect on the child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 08:27 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
I'm sure it does have positive effect. I would expose them to all kinds of music. If I were pregnant. And if I were a woman.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:19 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I am extremely doubtful that a child's brain is well enough developed to be influenced by such things before birth.

However, I've seen psychological studies that children (maybe 3-12 years old) benefit from two things: learning to speak two or more languages, and learning to play any musical instrument. The multiple languages should be under 10 and the musical training could be tweens. Doesn't matter if the music training lasts only a few years and they quit; the benefit lasts lifelong.

The two together have been correlated with increased language skills and increased IQ.

Sadly I learned my second language in high school, probably too late to benefit although I've always been good at English (grammar, spelling, vocabulary, composition) but probably was just gifted with those skills. My music training was about 14-16 (guitar) and was probably too late to benefit my IQ although to this day I feel that I enjoy music more because of my understanding of musical relationships and structure; I did learn something there, I do understand the math of music. That's right, there is math in music!

If I were to have kids (I'm too old to start now) I'd make sure they learned at least English and two other languages before 10, and they would get music training same age, I'd let them pick whatever instrument they wanted (or change instruments if they wish) as long as they get the training. After they've had a few years I'd let them quit if they wanted.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:40 AM

181 posts, read 138,915 times
Mod cut.

A child's emotional health is developed before it is born. What a pregnant mother feels emotionally is transferred directly to her unborn child. Because of this negative emotions can have a damaging effect on the fetus. The fetus absorbs negative feelings like anger, stress, frustration, etc.
Some studies show that parents start effecting the personality of the child soon after conception. As the fetus develops its subconscience stores information to prepare it for its mothers environment.
By the sixth month the fetus can hear and move in rythem to its mothers voice. Sonograms taken when parents yell at each other show the fetus flinching in agitation. Mothers that have negative thoughts send that negative energy to the fetus.

If a pregnant women has negative thoughts, creepy thoughts, crooked thoughts, anger, stress, frustration etc it has a negative effect on the fetus causing it to have mental health problems. So if the sound of a mother yelling and being angry can effect the fetus in a negative way, why couldn't classical music effect it in a positive way?
Adults listen to classical music because it has been proven to improve how they think when they listen to it. They think more intelligently.
So if a child's brain can be influenced by negativity before it is born why couldn't it be influenced by music?

I know a gal that is such trash that she actually committed crimes while her fetus was in the womb.
Can you imagine what a negative effect that had on the mental health of her child? As it was forming it was absorbing her negativity and her crooked energy. So obviously it's a bad seed that will grow up to be a predator and a thief etc just like it's mother. The kid was stalking people before it was even born because it's mother was taking it on stalker field trips while it was developing in her womb. So gross. It was also doing drugs and accompanying its mother as she stole from people. The chick just can't stop stealing. Severe mental illness. It's probably going to be a seriel killer with the combination of its crooked DNA and the fact that it was formed by being fed negative and criminal energy. If it was listening to soothing classical music while in the womb instead of its lunatic mother screaming and going crazy like the time when she was arrested for disturbing the peace it wouldn't be at such a high risk for severe mental problems or participating in criminal behavior. But then again all the classical music in the world probably couldn't help that kid because it's mother is such a piece of trash it's bound to be that anyhow. It's in its blood to be. Not only that, the kid has to live with the shame of having a crooked piece of trash for a mother. So it's obviously going to have some real big problems.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-08-2017 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Multiple personal attacks.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamarose View Post
A child's emotional health is developed before it is born. What a pregnant mother feels emotionally is transferred directly to her unborn child. Because of this negative emotions can have a damaging effect on the fetus. The fetus absorbs negative feelings like anger, stress, frustration, etc. Some studies show that parents start effecting the personality of the child soon after conception. As the fetus develops its subconscience stores information to prepare it for its mothers environment. By the sixth month the fetus can hear and move in rythem to its mothers voice. Sonograms taken when parents yell at each other show the fetus flinching in agitation. Mothers that have negative thoughts send that negative energy to the fetus.
While I can't support your statement with authoritative studies, it seems reasonable to me that when the mother experiences strong emotional states they cause they release hormones which the fetus is subject to. It seems that the brain begins forming about 4 weeks after conception (source: Mayo Clinic) so I have doubts that there would be any effects until about 4 weeks.

However, I think it's only prudent that a pregnant woman should strive to live a healthful life during pregnancy just to ensure that the baby has an optimum environment to develop in, and one that is free from negative influences. It goes without saying that the mother should eat a healthful diet, get reasonable exercise, abstain from alcohol and even coffee, and of course should not take drugs of any type except those prescribed by her doctor.

So I'm willing to accept that negative emotions are bad for fetal development, although unfortunately for many of us it is impossible to lead happy, stress free lives. Positive emotions are probably good since they too cause the release of good hormones, so perhaps playing music while pregnant might improve the mental state of the mother, and that may benefit fetal development indirectly.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:22 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
My son wasn't exposed to classical music while in the womb but I used it to help him sleep starting when he was an infant and as a tween he still uses it. But it actually trained him to fall asleep during classical music. Even though he likes the symphony and ballet, he falls asleep every time. He had a teacher who played classical music during reading time but stopped when I explained to her that is why he was always falling asleep during silent reading. When she stopped, he stopped falling asleep.

I think the most important thing to a developing fetus is the wellbeing of their mother, so if classical music soothed her, then it would be great for the baby. Otherwise, I think its a waste of time. Just help the mom stay happy and relaxed and that is the best thing for baby.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:02 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I had one tape in my car when I was pregnant with my first child, just background music, not classical either, just calming songs. Insterestingly enough, my oldest child now enjoying listening to that tape. It does have some effect.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I had one tape in my car when I was pregnant with my first child, just background music, not classical either, just calming songs. Insterestingly enough, my oldest child now enjoying listening to that tape. It does have some effect.
Just curious, after birth did you expose your baby to that same music? If so then you have no way of knowing whether the effects are pre-natal or post-natal.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:07 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Haven't there been actual studies showing the benefits?

Classical music is mathematically based so listening to classical music might help develop the math portion of the baby's brain.

Just my kid, so no scientific study, but my child was very aware of what was going on around him while I was pregnant. It would be odd indeed if my child were the only one who was aware and every other baby was just a lump of non-sentient plasma..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting