Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:17 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times

Advertisements

I've actullly heard other people say it's easy to let boys pee in public places if it's urgent. I never, ever, not once let my boys pee in a public place. They either held it or I took them to the restroom. In a real pinch they peed in a disposable cup in the car and I threw it away in the proper place.

I even have known people who let their boys pee in their back yards. Ewwww.

Today I was in a line in an outdoor area that was all cement. The line was about 20 minutes long followed by a 5 minute bus ride.

I did feel for this dad. He had his hands full with 3 young boys. One said "daddy I have to pee". He didn't get out of line. He didn't ask the kid to hold it. He ushered the boy to pee on a stone wall next to the line.

I was so grossed out. It's gonna get stinky and people will have to stand next to it. I was somewhat horrified.

But I wonder if I am too uptight? I would have gotten out of line and walked back in the building to take him to the potty if I didn't think he could hold it. I mean, it wouldn't be convenient..but would have only added 10-15 minutes to their journey.

Am I overly grossed out? Is it normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 07:29 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
On concrete, in a crowded area, in the summer, mostly inconsiderate. Would you feel the same way though, if it had been a dog on a leash? Happens all the time, right?

In the backyard, against a tree, out the side of a car when no restrooms are available, shrug. There's nothing sanitary about the outdoors, thanks to our wildlife friends, so I don't see the harm. The truckers who toss gallon jugs of urine on the interstates are the ones who bug me. They are doing it out of laziness, not need.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:37 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
At one point I would have thought this was awful...but now that I have a 3 year old boy...

This situation you mention is tough. He was in line with no other adult and 3 kids...if he got out of line with all 3 boys I'm guessing he'd have lost his spot...would you have saved it for him? Just sounds like an overall stressful situation, one I wouldnt want to be in. What if the kid had puked? Or wet his pants? Things happen. It's pee...and like someone said dogs pee all over the place outside.

i was once outside walking home when i saw a guy pull his child off to the side to pee. he actually said, dont pee on this girl as i walked by somewhat disgusted. The guy could have hid himself better or gotten further from the road. Some people dont think toddler/young boys peeing out side is a big deal.

i've had a few times this summer on long trips where when my son has to pee we've pulled over on the highway for him to go. We also have a 1 year old so if it's just me it would mean me finding a rest area, taking everyone out, walking into a public restroom and not really knowing what to expect. DS has also peed in our yard..but we want to make sure he understands he should be using the toilet.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 08-14-2017 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: added

Old 08-14-2017, 08:02 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
How old was the kid? Under 5 or 6? It wouldn't be my ideal, but better than wet pants. An older kid, that would gross me out. If they're old enough to hold it, then they should. If not... meh.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I'm not a fan of it. When we lived in the apartment complex, all the little boys would do it at the pool and I was just glad they weren't doing it in the pool. One time my daughter imitated them, which was funny and embarrassing at the same time.

But after a couple years of cleaning up after my dad, who has dementia and was gleefully urinating everywhere, indoors and outdoors, I started thinking about how little boys are allowed to pee everywhere, and that's why they revert back to that behavior when they're drunk or mentally incapacitated.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
If it is a young boy I don't mind. My son had issues holding it. There was a park we used to go to and there were no facilities for kids. So what else can you do?

Old 08-14-2017, 08:13 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Absolutely not right in the situation you describe.

My son was older when we moved into our current home--about 8 so old enough to take a break from the outdoors and go inside. My sisters/brother let their boys pee in our backyard when they were under 4 or so. That said we have a pool so it was better than going in the pool. We also have an extremely private backyard with acres of woods. It was easier than taking a wet kid into the house to pee.

I don't know why, but little boys have this thing about peeing outside. They seem to enjoy it. I once caught my son, about 4 and his friend, 6, peeing in our previous backyard. Since it wasn't as private, it wasn't okay.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:15 PM

Very interesting. I guess it's just me. I've been in line with 5 kids and still left the line to take a kid to the restroom.

I think with dogs it's parks...places like that. There was no dog in sight.

I guess it's my deal. I've raised 3 boys without ever needing to let them pee in public.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If it is a young boy I don't mind. My son had issues holding it. There was a park we used to go to and there were no facilities for kids. So what else can you do?
Go home? Pick a different park? That's what I did.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:20 PM

691 posts, read 419,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post

Am I overly grossed out? Is it normal?
I agree with you. there is times and places for things and beyond that there are considerate ways of dealing with problems.

THIS gave the boy no lesson to learn this fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting