Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 01:39 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,648,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Yeah, not distorted at all.

There's an assumption (not just in your reply but in several topics here in many fora) that everything you deem an inconvenience can and should be rectified post haste. First off...your definition of an inconvenience is likely not universal, particularly the definition of an inconvenience that requires immediate fixing. Second...you can't expect your path every day to be paved with rose petals. If you assume it will be you better plan on living with disappointment, frequently.
Pure distortion.

If you'd like to address what I actually said, then we can have a conversation. If you are only interested in making stuff up, then have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 01:39 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,307 times
The gulf exists between those who say, "Babies scream" and those who say, "It's okay if babies scream."

Why anyone would ever think it's okay and acceptable to have their child scream in a restaurant of any type is beyond me.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:40 PM

125 posts, read 81,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Where in the article did it say the two old ladies had neuro disorders?
Though you quoted her exact post, you somehow missed understanding her words. Here it is again

She never stated any specific old ladies had neuro disorders.

"and some people, especially older folks with neurological disorders, cannot stand that kind of shrill noise. So to to consider that, might be wise....and helpful to develop that awareness?"

Old 08-17-2017, 01:40 PM

581 posts, read 455,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Doesn't always work. One year, we went to a fancy French restaurant for a late dinner for our anniversary. A family with 2 toddlers came in and proceeded to let the toddlers run wild, stare and talk at other diners and literally take food off their tables and run off with it. The parents thought it was charming, the other patrons did not though I have to admit it was pretty funny. The manager swiftly went over and gave the parents a talking-to, they left in a huff and everyone was happy.
That happened the last time I went out to eat with my husband. There was a kid who was maybe 4-ish running around the entire restaurant while his parents completely ignored him. It eventually became a safety issue because he was getting tangled up with waiters who were trying to carry trays of food. When the hostess said something to the parents, they had looks on their faces like "how dare you!". Those are the types of parents I hate. I give a pass to everyone else who at least makes a reasonable effort to get their kids to behave.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:41 PM

125 posts, read 81,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
The gulf exists between those who say, "Babies scream" and those who say, "It's okay if babies scream."

Why anyone would ever think it's okay and acceptable to have their child scream in a restaurant of any type is beyond me.
Those who live for their own instant self gratification of course

I give a pass to those restaurants like Chuck E Cheese who essentially, cater to children. In my mind, there is a little more flexibility

Old 08-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Because that's the price of a public facility in a free society. Babies don't need to be locked away because some folks can't stand them.

Babies cry, that's normal. It's like hating old folks because they're in a wheelchair, ugly or wearing dentures. "Move that old lady, now, restaurant manager!"

Don't like crying babies? Don't go to public places. Problem solved.

Really? Bizarre that you consider hatred of crying babies in public to not be the entitlement mentality, and rather blame the parents.
The "Special Snowflake Syndrome" is strong with you.

Check the poll - you are in the minority.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:42 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's an article written in more detail. I'd be curious to know if the baby had a piercing scream, or just kind of was yelling. The article references the baby screaming at approaching waitresses, and was also excited by a group singing "happy birthday". Which is loud, too, actually.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...meal/73454406/
from that article

Quote:
"We're in the hospitality business. We want all our guests to have a great experience," said Travis Doster, a spokesman for Texas Roadhouse. "We were voted one of the loudest restaurants by Consumer Reports. We are proud to be loud. If you want to hear clinking wine glasses and clinking forks, then this probably isn't the place for you."
People who go there and complain that it's not quiet are the same ones who buy a house next to the train tracks and then complain that trains make noise

Old 08-17-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Most parents are considerate enough of other diners to take their screaming baby outside.
This is such a small, simple thing. Too bad more people just don't get it.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
First of all, 10 months old is too young to be teaching him to use his indoor voice. He's not even aware of himself or what he's doing. You just have to calm him down and keep him quiet so he won't disturb other people.

It's true that the baby was disturbing other people, but the table behind them was wrong to judge the mother. Yes, they can be annoyed, but did they have to tell her? No one wants to be judged like that. Keep it to yourself.

And I absolutely hate self-righteous women like them who claim that their children/grandchildren NEVER acted this way. Get off your high horse. People with no compassion and no heart suck. Having an infant is tough and very stressful.
I don't think that is what most in this thread are saying. A 10 month old is going to be disruptive at times, but that isn't really the issue. The issue is parents that believe they have the right to subject everyone around them to their child's poor behavior.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:48 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeWannabee View Post
Though you quoted her exact post, you somehow missed understanding her words. Here it is again

She never stated any specific old ladies had neuro disorders.

"and some people, especially older folks with neurological disorders, cannot stand that kind of shrill noise. So to to consider that, might be wise....and helpful to develop that awareness?"

No...further back, she was speculating that perhaps one of the ladies might've had MS or something similar, and thus passed the note to the young parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting