Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 01:48 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post

Check the poll - you are in the minority.
To his/ her defense: The poll is mathematically flawed.
The OP gave three options that would point to a certain outcome and only one that points to the opposite. Thats called 'fishing for a result' in my profession.

My guess is that in real life most people would roll their eyes about the screaming baby UNTIL the old lady hands the couple the nasty note. At that point point the eye rolls will be about that poorly behaved ADULT.

ETA: There's also such a thing as selection bias. Most of the people that would answer the poll will feel one way or another.

So basically it proves nothing.

Last edited by BLDSoon; 08-17-2017 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 01:48 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My "hypothesis" is that a restaurant that calls ITSELF a casual restaurant is not transformed into a fancy restaurant based on the menu or the prices.
"Casual" refers to the dress of the customers, price point of the food, and level of service. That doesn't mean parents are allowed to destroy the dining experience of all the other paying customers. It's no different from a couple having a screaming argument in a restaurant. If I'm paying good money for my meal, I expect the manager to walk over and ask them to leave.

This isn't Chuck E Cheese that markets to young families and lets kids terrorize the place.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:49 PM

125 posts, read 81,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
My "hypothesis" is that a restaurant that calls ITSELF a casual restaurant is not transformed into a fancy restaurant based on the menu or the prices. Yes, it has table service and yes, it's more expensive than fast food. That does not make it a fancy restaurant and the income level of a patron, whether it's high or low, doesn't change that. It might be a rare treat for a poorer person to go there, but that still doesn't make it a fancy restaurant.
I don't care what they "call" themselves. My husband called himself "a premier painter" for years when he first started out. But that didn't necessarily make it true. He tried to appeal to the upper class thinking he'd be paid more. Sorta like Texas Rhodehouse specializing in steaks .Here is the menu again. https://www.texasroadhouse.com/menu

Quote:
I never said anything about "only" a Texas Roadhouse, merely commented on the fact that it's a self-defined casual restaurant and it's on the loud side. So someone with a neurological disorder who cannot handle loud noises should not be dining there in any case. I've been in restaurants many, many times with adults who are every bit as loud - or louder! than a yelling baby, particularly with a bit of alcohol in them.

If someone needs a quiet environment, then they have the affirmative responsibility to seek one out, not to complain because a loud restaurant is loud, whether it's adult or child patrons who are contributing to the loudness.
There is so much here going so many different directions, I will respectfully decline to comment on all of it.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:49 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is simply not fair to parents. Society has to accept the baby, not the other way around, IMO. Babies cry, and society has to deal.
Bizarre. . .

Quote:
My wife and I each have stressful professional jobs. We have a ten-month old. We live in a small apartment, with limited kitchen. We live in NYC, which has like a billion good restaurants.

You're saying we have no right to go to a restaurant for many years if our kid is fussy? No, just no. We take our baby to restaurants 2-3 times a week. Of course we take him to baby-friendly restaurants only; loud, messy places, mostly. But we will not stop going out, no way.
That's not what we are saying.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:51 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Doesn't always work. One year, we went to a fancy French restaurant for a late dinner for our anniversary. A family with 2 toddlers came in and proceeded to let the toddlers run wild, stare and talk at other diners and literally take food off their tables and run off with it. The parents thought it was charming, the other patrons did not though I have to admit it was pretty funny. The manager swiftly went over and gave the parents a talking-to, they left in a huff and everyone was happy.
Yeah, this was clearly inappropriate.

I go to fancy restaurants in Manhattan quite often, for work (thankfully not paying) and almost never see small children. I think MOST parents know that a fancy bistro isn't an ideal place for a baby.

When you do see babies in nice white tablecloth places it usually larger groups celebrating an occasion on weekends. So for example, celebrating Grampa's birthday at a nice place, and grandkids are along. I don't see this as horrible if the kids aren'tt too fussy.

Re. Texas Roadhouse, though, I can't imagine anyone who has been there can accurately claim it's inappropriate for a fussy baby. That restaurant is a ZOO. It's so freaking noisy. Probably even bad for your hearing noisy, at least for the employees.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:53 PM

125 posts, read 81,373 times
In looking up the definition of "casual" the first word that comes up is "relaxed"

This is a far cry from a screaming baby in a restaurant. Just thought I'd note this for perspective

Old 08-17-2017, 01:53 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
When people say "take their child outside" what do they specifically mean? I'm genuinely curious.

You mean into a car? On the sidewalk? In the waiting area? Do you do this regardless of weather? What if you're eating alone, you just take everything and vacate the table?
Any of the above, as appropriate for the location.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:54 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

This isn't Chuck E Cheese that markets to young families and lets kids terrorize the place.
I would say, if anything, Chuck E Cheese is significantly quieter, cleaner and calmer than a Texas Roadhouse.

I was actually shocked the first time I went to a Texas Roadhouse. You basically have to scream to hear anyone. It's likely unhealthy loud for the workers.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:54 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, I cannot believe how early people take newborns out today, before they have all their shots.
It just wasn't done when our children were growing up. And if we couldn't take our child along, we just didn't go. Even in church, we walked out with our child if he started crying or left him in the nursery, but, I really wanted to start him early at learning how to behave in public. The do's and don'ts so to speak. I believe he was a toddler, when we started, and I remember so many people stopping and saying what a good boy he was, and he was, we were very proud of him and still are.
I couldn't be taken out in public when I was first born. I had hemolytic disease of the newborn, so they had to induce labor 10 days earlier than my due date (November 2-3), and give me a blood transfusion (can't recall whether it was a total or partial transfusion). My parents were under strict instructions not to bring me around other people, and when I needed to go in for checkups they had to bring me there first thing in the morning.

My mother's obstetrician was strict. You did things his way, or you found another doctor to deliver your baby. He wasn't shy about giving verbal beat-downs to parents who didn't follow directives. Mom told me about one time he was driving past the house of a couple who just had a child, and the child wasn't supposed to be around other people either (probably like you say, they hadn't had their shots?). He went right up to the door, and when they answered, he told all the guests they would have to leave because it wasn't good for the baby to be around all those people.

He didn't lack for patients, so he couldn't have been too bad. These days, though.... I wonder what he would think about stuff like water births, or doulas. They didn't exist when he was in practice 40-50+ years ago.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:55 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeWannabee View Post
I thought you had to be 18+ to be at an R Rated movie and 13+ to see a PG13 movie?
Yes, but apparently that doesn't apply to babies. We've seen babies in r-rated movies plenty of times, but thankfully most of them were fairly quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting