Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 10:53 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Babies have every right to be in restaurants. Babies cry. That's totally natural and expected. Something would be wrong if they didn't cry. As a parent, when I get the evil eye from nasty old folks when I bring my baby into a restaurant, I give them the evil eye right back.

If the old hags don't wanna see or hear babies, they can leave. This is a trashy restaurant where all are welcome, not some five star Manhattan restaurant with a 20 course tasting menu.

Of course babies cry. When my kids were babies, they cried at home. I didn't bring them into a restaurant until they had mastered their inside voices and manner. Crazy right? There is absolutely no reason to have a baby crying in a restaurant. Don't you feel bad that you are ruining someone's dining experience?

And I don't care if it's a Texas Roadhouse. There's a difference between loud music and a child screaming. One is pleasant and part of the reason I'm there. The other is unpleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 10:53 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'd like to hear these words of advice. Probably by someone who never had kids.

Anyone who has had kids knows you can't reason with a six (or ten) month old. You can only hold and comfort them. Babies cry. It's totally normal. What isn't normal is old folks angry at babies crying, especially at Texas Roadhouse of all places (which is like rock concert loud).
I had kids.....and I told my story....kids learn at a very young age....and it's very easy to break bad habits.

And back then we didn't have the internet to research. There is tons of information out there

Old 08-17-2017, 10:55 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
The message the restaurant managers sent is that they're in the business of running a "noisy" restaurant. They even stated they're proud of that. So customers now know not to expect a quiet dining experience there. The public has been put on notice. It's a restaurant for noisy kids that can't be controlled. The dining public can make their choices accordingly.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:55 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Quote:
Babies have every right to be in restaurants. Babies cry. That's totally natural and expected. Something would be wrong if they didn't cry. As a parent, when I get the evil eye from nasty old folks when I bring my baby into a restaurant, I give them the evil eye right back.

If the old hags don't wanna see or hear babies, they can leave. This is a trashy restaurant where all are welcome, not some five star Manhattan restaurant with a 20 course tasting menu.

Even "five star Manhattan restaurants with a 20 course tasting menu"? If you think it's OK for them to scream in "trashy restaurants", then it should be OK in "five star Manhattan restaurants"? I mean, what's the difference?

Signed,

An Old Hag who loves babies, but doesn't want to hear them screaming in restaurants, even "trashy restaurants".

Old 08-17-2017, 10:56 AM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
So is believing one can float through life never having to suffer a trifling inconvenience, and that any such travesties will be rectified immediately!
That's clearly not what I said. Do you really have to distort the conversation in order to try to make point?

Old 08-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It really depends on exactly what was going on and how much the baby was yelling. It definitely isn't the same thing as a screaming, crying baby - on that case, if you can't soothe the baby within a minute or so, you need to take it outside, and if necessary, get your food to go and leave.

But babies also go through a yelling phrase where they discover the power of their voice and they just make some happy yells as a way to express themselves. It's a totally different sound than a crying baby although I suppose there is a line where it would be excessive and disruptive.

Given that the manager told the family with the baby that they were welcome any time, and kicked out the people who complained, I'm going to assume that the baby's noise making was in the acceptable limits for a family restaurant that is already on the noisy side. Probably no more noise than a particularly loud adult makes, it just happened to be a baby and some people get bent out of shape about babies making noise, any noise.

However, more yelling than that might be a different story, as would it be if this were a more elegant restaurant with a hushed and quiet atmosphere.
I completely agree. It would be helpful to know how much this baby screamed out. If it was 5 or so times during the meal, well, that's kids. If it was pretty continuous, then that's not acceptable. I was in Target the other day and there was this kid in a cart who screamed out pretty much continuously. The mom shrugged apologetically and said it's echoey in here. It was, too. I didn't care, but hey, I'm headed to the other part of the store away from that irritation. I'm not sure how I would have felt seated next to him for an entire meal at a restaurant.

I wonder what the manager actually did say to the 2 women. The article says "they were asked to leave after they finished their meal". I wonder if they were asked to leave and not handed a bill. "Thanks ladies for coming in, we're going to comp this because of your experience, but if you could leave when you're finished to avoid further confrontation it would be greatly appreciated". That's my guess. It would be good to hear from the women.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Even "five star Manhattan restaurants with a 20 course tasting menu"? If you think it's OK for them to scream in "trashy restaurants", then it should be OK in "five star Manhattan restaurants"? I mean, what's the difference?

Signed,

An Old Hag who loves babies, but doesn't want to hear them screaming in restaurants, even "trashy restaurants".
That's an easy answer. Different behaviors are more (or less) acceptable at different sorts of venues.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:02 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
If adults are not allowed to scream in a place, neither are kids. We raise kids with the intention of them turning into good adults, right?

Of course, kids aren't going to get it right every time, and no one is perfect, but there are much better ways of teaching them how to act appropriately than ignoring it or saying, "Shh, Johnny" every 5 minutes.

Your kid screams in a restaurant - ANY restaurant - you get them to stop quickly or you take them outside. The idea that kids or anyone are allowed to act horribly just because people spent less on their meal is ridiculous.

The people on this thread say you should practice at home first are 100% right. I bet these parents didn't care or thought it was cute to let their little angel whoop and make fun, loud noises at home.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That's clearly not what I said. Do you really have to distort the conversation in order to try to make point?
Yeah, not distorted at all.

There's an assumption (not just in your reply but in several topics here in many fora) that everything you deem an inconvenience can and should be rectified post haste. First off...your definition of an inconvenience is likely not universal, particularly the definition of an inconvenience that requires immediate fixing. Second...you can't expect your path every day to be paved with rose petals. If you assume it will be you better plan on living with disappointment, frequently.

Last edited by elhelmete; 08-17-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
If adults are not allowed to scream in a place, neither are kids. We raise kids with the intention of them turning into good adults, right?

Of course, kids aren't going to get it right every time, and no one is perfect, but there are much better ways of teaching them how to act appropriately than ignoring it or saying, "Shh, Johnny" every 5 minutes.

Your kid screams in a restaurant - ANY restaurant - you get them to stop quickly or you take them outside. The idea that kids or anyone are allowed to act horribly just because people spent less on their meal is ridiculous.

The people on this thread say you should practice at home first are 100% right. I bet these parents didn't care or thought it was cute to let their little angel whoop and make fun, loud noises at home.
Wow, so now we're judging what parents do in their own home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting