Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:14 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well that's just BS.

They weren't 'old'. They were in their 50's

One of the ladies slapped the note down and then went and SAT BACK DOWN at their table, and then they both snickered.

Their motive was not to kindly give child rearing advice, their motive was to shame the mother and father, and maybe cause a scene. Which they did.

IF they were REALLY concerned for their health and well being, they would've put the note on the table just before they were ready to leave, and then they would've high tailed it out of there.
calm down, no need to get upset or defensive/who was telling the story?

there are two sides to every story, maybe the women didn't snicker, maybe the teller of the story was making light of a nuisance child, perhaps they didn't slap the note down? Maybe they left after laying the note on the table....or, maybe they were as you say, who knows....???

the bottom line is noisy kids in restaurants....and each of us who agree that the mother and the manager was wrong, have experienced this, if not once, but several times....so, we relate to our experiences.....
and believe you me, there have been times when the mother was wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:20 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm going to say this once more, only, doesn't matter if the restaurant is high end, or a loud family restaurant, parents should be in control of their children, if they are not, they shouldn't be taking them out to a restaurant, to upset the times of other people around them. And that is what it does, it upsets what should be a perfectly fun evening.

People who don't have children anymore or never had children, don't like to hear babies cry...it is like someone scratching their nails down a chalkboard...and if you can't get that, I'm sorry for you. Its noise, period....and a very irritating sound, especially when the child isn't yours.
Ahhh, so those people with those preferences should just simply and always be accommodated. It's pretty clear you just don't like noise in a public place, and when it emanates from a little one you feel empowered to tee off.

No need to be sorry...I'm much more adaptable and patient, I guess. Good traits to go through life with.

Or maybe I'll advocate for old-people rooms in restaurants with their annoying mobility aids, and talking loud because of their hearing aids, and taking up so much of the waitstaff's time, and using their phone lights to read the menu, SO DISTRACTING, plus their arguing over the check. Bad tippers too. I go out with my wife for a darn nice meal at Chipotle and I have to hear this?!! People that don't live with old people don't like to be troubled with this sort of stuff. Believe you me, it's like nails on the chalkboard.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:29 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
calm down, no need to get upset or defensive/who was telling the story?

there are two sides to every story, maybe the women didn't snicker, maybe the teller of the story was making light of a nuisance child, perhaps they didn't slap the note down? Maybe they left after laying the note on the table....or, maybe they were as you say, who knows....???

the bottom line is noisy kids in restaurants....and each of us who agree that the mother and the manager was wrong, have experienced this, if not once, but several times....so, we relate to our experiences.....
and believe you me, there have been times when the mother was wrong...

Perhaps perhaps perhaps.

Let's stick to the story, and what the story said.

According to the story, that quoted the mother, who was backed up by the manager, one of the women walked up to their table and slapped down the note, (which didn't offer ANY kind of kindly advice by the way, but rather, called the parents out for having a noisy baby.) And then she went and sat back down. And then, the ladies snickered.

Not sure why you keep wanting to inject your fantasies into this.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:55 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:

According to the story, that quoted the mother, who was backed up by the manager, one of the women walked up to their table and slapped down the note, (which didn't offer ANY kind of kindly advice by the way, but rather, called the parents out for having a noisy baby.) And then she went and sat back down. And then, the ladies snickered.
What's so difficult about simply taking your child outside when he is repeatedly screaming? When you've calmed him down you can bring him back in.

If you literally cannot control your child's screaming, you need to recognize that you won't be able to go to places where screaming is not appropriate.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Perhaps perhaps perhaps.

Not sure why you keep wanting to inject your fantasies into this.
first off, not interjecting fantasies, they have happened to me, and others here, so I don't think we're all telling bedtime stories.

second, yes, I read the article again and the mother states that the one woman slammed the note down on the table. (again, that is her side of the story, and btw, if the child was screaming the whole time they were there, I'd be a bit huffy to, if they were sitting next to this couple) and admit, not the best way to handle the situation, but, those women grew up when no internet existed, so in those days notes were written.

the mother admitted that her child screams, screams when she says no, screams when he get excited, that he is in a screaming phase of his life at the time this happened.

you can fight this all you want, you can say the women were rude, however, the point is, what is any one human beings level of noise they should "be made" to tolerate, when out in public. (and everyone of us is different) If the child is yours, you are probably used to it and completely ignore it....but if the child is not yours, it's going to bother others and probably ruin their night out, and the older someone is, the more it will bother them, b/c they are no longer used to being around babies/toddlers who scream. Maybe these women got together once a year...did you ever try to hold a conversation, with someone else, when a child behind you is screaming? Now, lets factor in that the woman WERE older, and maybe hard of hearing? I mean, REALLY!

I'm sorry you don't agree, and there is probably nothing I can say to even get you to remotely agree, so????

Last edited by cremebrulee; 08-24-2017 at 09:41 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's so difficult about simply taking your child outside when he is repeatedly screaming? When you've calmed him down you can bring him back in.

If you literally cannot control your child's screaming, you need to recognize that you won't be able to go to places where screaming is not appropriate.
Quite frankly if it were me, and my child was annoying others, I would not only recognize it, but be embarrassed by it.

We would take our child outside, and let him know that isn't the way to act in public. We practiced it, by going out to places he enjoyed. We said "no" twice...and if he didn't listen, we would say, "WHAT DID I Just Say?" after taking him out for good, he got the idea pretty quick. But you must practice it and be firm.

I would be embarrassed if I knew anyone was annoyed by my child screaming and spoiling their dinner.

If you cannot control your child, you need to question your own parenting, and not the person complaining.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Um, you could also question why a parent would bring any child (unless specifically invited) to a wedding. If the child acts up at a venue like that, that's a double slam on the parents.
and I believe one of the reasons why some wedding invitations say, "no children please" not to mention, the expense of weddings today.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Honestly I get tired of being called a "hag" or "intolerant" if I don't like hearing someone else's loin fruit screaming when I'm dining out.

I haven't left a note for anyone, but I have asked to be moved or have gotten up and left.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:10 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
Quote:
first off, not interjecting fantasies, they have happened to me, and others here, so I don't think we're all telling bedtime stories.

second, yes, I read the article again and the mother states that the one woman slammed the note down on the table. (again, that is her side of the story, and btw, if the child was screaming the whole time they were there, I'd be a bit huffy to, if they were sitting next to this couple) and admit, not the best way to handle the situation, but, those women grew up when no internet existed, so in those days notes were written.

the mother admitted that her child screams, screams when she says no, screams when he get excited, that he is in a screaming phase of his life at the time this happened.

you can fight this all you want, you can say the women were rude, however, the point is, what is any one human beings level of noise they should "be made" to tolerate, when out in public. (and everyone of us is different) If the child is yours, you are probably used to it and completely ignore it....but if the child is not yours, it's going to bother others and probably ruin their night out, and the older someone is, the more it will bother them, b/c they are no longer used to being around babies/toddlers who scream. Maybe these women got together once a year...did you ever try to hold a conversation, with someone else, when a child behind you is screaming? Now, lets factor in that the woman WERE older, and maybe hard of hearing? I mean, REALLY!

I'm sorry you don't agree, and there is probably nothing I can say to even get you to remotely agree, so????

You posted a story where the only information we have is that there was a BABY (a baby, in case you are missing that fact), who was HAPPY, but loud about it...in an already loud restaurant. Where adults were likely being far louder, but it's easier to judge a young mom.

You did not post a story about a loud baby at a 5 star restaurant. It's not about a toddler running around threatening to run into waitstaff. It's not about a tantruming 3 year old. It's not about 5 year olds climbing around in a booth. It's not even about an unhappy crying baby. That would be a different discussion. People are defending the mom because it was a HAPPY BABY. At least with the only information the story gives.

Either way, when you get one little snapshot into the life of a family, it's not enough to truly make an accurate judgment call. You can pat yourself on the back for your superior parenting skills all day long, but you made mistakes. There is zero doubt of that. Parents make mistakes. They have lapses in judgment. They are learning on the job. There is no one perfect way to do it. You weren't a perfect parent. Someone harshly judged you more than once. I guarantee it. That doesn't make it right.

And FWIW, if anyone needs parenting skills or a crash course on child development, it's a person who would be embarrassed by the behavior of a BABY.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:20 AM

36 posts, read 74,397 times
Any possibility that this story is not true? The original handwritten note had to be "recreated", and is not the original note written by the two older ladies? What happened to the "original" note?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting