Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who was Wrong?
Manager 10 5.08%
Mother 67 34.01%
Couple 63 31.98%
Both Manager and Mother? 77 39.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's so difficult about simply taking your child outside when he is repeatedly screaming? When you've calmed him down you can bring him back in.

If you literally cannot control your child's screaming, you need to recognize that you won't be able to go to places where screaming is not appropriate.

And that's crap too.

The baby was happy, and making noise in a noisy restaurant. Have you ever BEEN to a Texas Roadhouse? Honestly, and sincerely, I'm not sure how the baby's noises could be differentiated from all the other babble going on.

I've been to Texas Roadhouse on a few occasions, and heck, I could barely hear my own voice when trying to talk to other people at the same table. I would not be surprised if the workers there wear ear plugs, and I'm not exaggerating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 10:36 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Just an FYI to childless people who think people with children ALWAYs have to keep your life peaceful by making sure their kids make no noise...even when adults are making noise...parenting people are doing the had work of keeping the human race going. So, at minimum, someone is around to take care of you in your old age.

You are welcome.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:41 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

you can fight this all you want, you can say the women were rude, however, the point is, what is any one human beings level of noise they should "be made" to tolerate, when out in public. (and everyone of us is different) If the child is yours, you are probably used to it and completely ignore it....but if the child is not yours, it's going to bother others and probably ruin their night out, and the older someone is, the more it will bother them, b/c they are no longer used to being around babies/toddlers who scream. Maybe these women got together once a year...did you ever try to hold a conversation, with someone else, when a child behind you is screaming? Now, lets factor in that the woman WERE older, and maybe hard of hearing? I mean, REALLY!

I'm sorry you don't agree, and there is probably nothing I can say to even get you to remotely agree, so????
The older ladies should have made better financial choices in life so they could afford quieter, although more expensive, accommodations in their later years. Obviously, I'm using dark humor to make a point about the lopsided logic here.

You say 'everyone is different' as well...OK, so are supposed to poll everyone when we come in to a place to determine how sensitive we need to be to each and every person? Or, more maturely, do we expect adults (and yes I include the mother of the child) to make a reasonable assessment of what's fair to expect?

If you're a sensitive older person with hearing and neuro issues, you're insane to go to a Texas Roadhouse and then clutch your pearls about one of the dozen sources of loud noise.

On the flip side, if you're a parent with a colicky 10-month old and you take him out to Chez Panisse for a 10:30 dinner "just because", you're insane too.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
first off, not interjecting fantasies, they have happened to me, and others here, so I don't think we're all telling bedtime stories.

second, yes, I read the article again and the mother states that the one woman slammed the note down on the table. (again, that is her side of the story, and btw, if the child was screaming the whole time they were there, I'd be a bit huffy to, if they were sitting next to this couple) and admit, not the best way to handle the situation, but, those women grew up when no internet existed, so in those days notes were written.

the mother admitted that her child screams, screams when she says no, screams when he get excited, that he is in a screaming phase of his life at the time this happened.

you can fight this all you want, you can say the women were rude, however, the point is, what is any one human beings level of noise they should "be made" to tolerate, when out in public. (and everyone of us is different) If the child is yours, you are probably used to it and completely ignore it....but if the child is not yours, it's going to bother others and probably ruin their night out, and the older someone is, the more it will bother them, b/c they are no longer used to being around babies/toddlers who scream. Maybe these women got together once a year...did you ever try to hold a conversation, with someone else, when a child behind you is screaming? Now, lets factor in that the woman WERE older, and maybe hard of hearing? I mean, REALLY!

I'm sorry you don't agree, and there is probably nothing I can say to even get you to remotely agree, so????

It's not simply a matter of me disagreeing. It's that you've exaggerated a lot of things here, and interjected a lot of "what ifs" and simply made up some other stuff.

Now we're supposed to imagine that maybe the ladies were hard of hearing, and yet picked one of the busiest, most noisy restaurants imaginable for their once a year reunion. And they don't know how to behave better because they grew up without the internet. Not sure what the internet has to do with this story, unless maybe they should've written a Yelp review?

They were being mean and petty. That's it. Mean and petty.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:45 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Sassybluesy It's not simply a matter of me disagreeing. It's that you've exaggerated a lot of things here, and interjected a lot of "what ifs" and simply made up some other stuff.
I have made up nothing....

Quote:
Now we're supposed to imagine that maybe the ladies were hard of hearing, and yet picked one of the busiest, most noisy restaurants imaginable for their once a year reunion. And they don't know how to behave better because they grew up without the internet. Not sure what the internet has to do with this story, unless maybe they should've written a Yelp review?
your not supposed to imagine anything, you never consider that there may be two sides to the story...the article was from the mother's perspective, only.

If you don't understand the rest, I'm sorry for you, however, I think if you reread I did say, it's something I wouldn't do, but if they're story is correct, I'd be upset as well....difference of opinion....
But nothing is made up here and neither are the stories from others in here, we're talking from experiences, and I'm sorry you are unable to grasp that....

You think it's ok, fine...we agree to disagree.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:59 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:

your not supposed to imagine anything, you never consider that there may be two sides to the story...the article was from the mother's perspective, only.

If you don't understand the rest, I'm sorry for you, however, I think if you reread I did say, it's something I wouldn't do, but if they're story is correct, I'd be upset as well....difference of opinion....
But nothing is made up here and neither are the stories from others in here, we're talking from experiences, and I'm sorry you are unable to grasp that....

Yes, we only know the mother's perspective.

But you threw in other experiences (which yes, I believe they happened to you) involving vastly different children, parents, older diners, and venues. You also just threw out "oh maybe" assumptions about neuro issues, that it could have been the one night out all year, etc. You can "oh maybe" all day long and of course you can make one party of the other look terrible. But it's called 'moving the goalposts.'

What if the story was written from the perspective of the two old ladies. Then some of us could bring up "oh maybes" like the kid has tourettes, the mom is dying of cancer and this is their last meal together, the parent is being deported, the dad is being shipped to Iraq, etc.

Or we could talk about the time we were at the beach on a Saturday and a group of city teenagers sat nearby and played some music and once their frisbee sailed away and landed near us. Because you know...it DID happened to me so I can tell the story and lecture everyone.

None of that would be helpful.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:13 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And that's crap too.

The baby was happy, and making noise in a noisy restaurant. Have you ever BEEN to a Texas Roadhouse? Honestly, and sincerely, I'm not sure how the baby's noises could be differentiated from all the other babble going on.

I've been to Texas Roadhouse on a few occasions, and heck, I could barely hear my own voice when trying to talk to other people at the same table. I would not be surprised if the workers there wear ear plugs, and I'm not exaggerating.
Er, this kid was yelling, not just "making noise."

That's when you take your kid outside. If you can calm them down to a reasonable level where they aren't disrupting other people, fine, bring them back in.

If you can't quiet them down, wait until they are a little older before you take them out. What parent hasn't been through this?

Would you take an extremely loud cell phone into a restaurant and when it goes off over and over say, "Gee, I just haven't figured out how to turn the volume down yet."

According to the article:

Quote:
Noting that Drew's 'new thing' is yelling, the mother shared: 'He will yell when I tell him no, when he's super excited and happy or just for no reason at all.

'I'm doing my best to teach him indoor voices and to not yell back at me when I tell him "no" etc., but he is only 10 (almost 11 months) and learning.'

She went on to say: 'We all tried quieting him down which a majority of the time he did but he also was so excited to be around all the commotion,' adding: 'He was not yelling to be mean or because he was mad, it was purely from excitement and being happy.'

Old 08-24-2017, 11:42 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
arjay57 Er, this kid was yelling, not just "making noise."

That's when you take your kid outside. If you can calm them down to a reasonable level where they aren't disrupting other people, fine, bring them back in.

If you can't quiet them down, wait until they are a little older before you take them out. What parent hasn't been through this?

Would you take an extremely loud cell phone into a restaurant and when it goes off over and over say, "Gee, I just haven't figured out how to turn the volume down yet."

AccordinQuote:
Noting that Drew's 'new thing' is yelling, the mother shared: 'He will yell when I tell him no, when he's super excited and happy or just for no reason at all.

'I'm doing my best to teach him indoor voices and to not yell back at me when I tell him "no" etc., but he is only 10 (almost 11 months) and learning.'

She went on to say: 'We all tried quieting him down which a majority of the time he did but he also was so excited to be around all the commotion,' adding: 'He was not yelling to be mean or because he was mad, it was purely from excitement and being happy.'g to the article:
so in essence what she was actually doing was making light of the situation by telling herself, that he was only yelling out of excitement and being happy....so in her mind, it excuses his behavior and says, it's ok to allow him to act like that in public.

it wasn't and never is ok, we all have to be mindful that there are others around us and it isn't always about us...and excusing a kids behavior like that, while he is ruining the night for others is wrong.

Most parents do take their children outside if and when they carryon....out of respect for others...but like I explained, I saw it more so, b/c I waitressed and one couple in particular were asked not to return to the restaurant....we carried trays of dishes, and if those kids would have run into us, the establishment would have had a law suit on their hands, plus kids that could have been cut or burnt.

Common sense.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I think I'm understanding just fine. You have projected lots of scenarios into this story, instead of sticking to the story, making some of us have to constantly bring you back to point. Kind of like batting gnats all the time.

I will remind you one more time for any links about training 6 month olds to not cry. I googled, and couldn't find anything. But since you know all about it, maybe you could share your knowledge with the rest of us.

You want to make up pretend scenarios? I can too. Maybe the two old ladies were constipated from having sticks up their butt. Maybe the old ladies had too many bud lites and got obnoxious. Maybe the 2 old ladies have no idea what normal babies behave as because they're meth heads, and their own children won't have anything to do with them now.

All of my scenarios are as likely as yours.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:47 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think I'm understanding just fine. You have projected lots of scenarios into this story, instead of sticking to the story, making some of us have to constantly bring you back to point. Kind of like batting gnats all the time.

I will remind you one more time for any links about training 6 month olds to not cry. I googled, and couldn't find anything. But since you know all about it, maybe you could share your knowledge with the rest of us.

You want to make up pretend scenarios? I can too. Maybe the two old ladies were constipated from having sticks up their butt. Maybe the old ladies had too many bud lites and got obnoxious. Maybe the 2 old ladies have no idea what normal babies behave as because they're meth heads, and their own children won't have anything to do with them now.

All of my scenarios are as likely as yours.
The only baby training I've ever heard of is the Pearls. To Train Up A Child. Be forewarned if you google it. It is abusive and horrifying. I hope this is not what she was referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting