Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you rather your 16-year-old do?
Smoke cigarettes 3 4.62%
Drink beer 11 16.92%
Smoke weed 11 16.92%
Have sex 17 26.15%
Use a gun 23 35.38%
Live on their own 10 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:02 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
All of the above re cannabis is wrong. ALL of it. What's a "mental birth defect" anyway? Definitely no link to heart disease, nor any link to traffic accidents. Just testing "positive" for marijuana has nothing to do with marijuana intoxication, all it shows is that you have indulged in cannabis use sometime in the last month or more. 100% of those fatal traffic accidents involved a driver over the legal limit for ALCOHOL.

There are millions of people who have used marijuana for decades - 50 or 60 years. Tons of available data, and nothing showing any negative health consequences.

No one has ever caused a train wreck due to marijuana use. A report that an engineer showed "traces" of marijuana byproducts in a urine test did not show current intoxication. The engineer was driving below the speed limit but there was an piece of repair equipment sitting on the tracks where it was not supposed to be. That was the cause of the accident - a train takes a long time to stop when it is going 106 mph.

Alcohol use on the other hand has a long and well-documented history of being at the bottom of many types of accidents, including train wrecks.

I use medical marijuana legally. No jail time. No criminal record. Put that in your pipe and vape it.
Well, such notable health organizations and institutions such as the American College of Cardiology, Harvard Medical School, Boston's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and the American Heart Association have published studies on this and would beg to disagree with you, but I'm sure you know better than they do.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:27 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
This is a parenting thread, not a weed thread.
You asked the question, and don't want people to discuss the answers? Then what was the point of even starting this thread?

Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
So says a disciple of cannabis. They can be as much in denial of the facts about its dangers, as others are about factions of politics or religion.
That's an empty "argument" - if you feel anything they wrote was factually incorrect, please explain instead of just throwing out insults.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:50 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I would also say none, with one exception: If I lived in a rural area where hunting was a common thing, I might be OK with a teenager using a shotgun. But even then only if he or she were with an adult on a hunting trip. Many of my southern relatives live in the country and were old hands at handling a rifle at that age.
agree with this one.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:57 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Smoking cigarettes gets last place due to high potential for addiction, high potential for health mitigation & high potential for life mitigation.

Drinking beer gets 2nd to last for moderate potential for addiction, high potential for health & life mitigation & high potential for legal consequences.

Having sex gets 3rd to last for high potential for lifelong lifestyle mitigation & moderate health mitigation.

Smoking weed gets 4th to last for high potential for temporary lifestyle mitigation, moderate potential for health mitigation.& minor legal consequences (I'm in Colorado).

Using a gun gets 5th to last for it's potential consequences being highly influenced by education, instruction & training.

Living on own gets first place because in the absence of the last place to the 4th to last place factors, there is less chance for negative influences & consequences are likely to be fixable.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:16 PM

834 posts, read 744,242 times
Use a gun....why would that be a bad thing? Of course I'm assuming this is at a range with someone qualified supervising.

No smoking anything ever, sex after marriage, beer at least 18+ to try, and live on own would be second after gun.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:54 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Teenagers are having sex people...you just have to not advocate it, accept it and school them on being SAFE!

Old 08-20-2017, 08:56 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Use a Gun.

My best friend's son, Forrest, was taught to shoot handguns by Uncle Blondebaerde when he was about 16. Under dad's supervision, though Forrest was (is) a sturdy and responsible young man now at 21.

I figured it best to teach the kid guncraft correctly from the get-go. If he ever shot again, I know not, but I'm damn sure he can handle a custom 1911 and other kinds of small arms now, with at least enough competence to get one loaded and pointed correctly.

He's in college, and will be heading to Cal Poly in a month or so to be with his "girlfriend" (LOL) now in junior or so year, so if he has any brains at all he knows more about sex that I do. I wouldn't throw that 21 y.o. girlfriend out of bed myself, but I'm a single old pervert anymore.

Didn't seem like the kind of kid heavily into smoking or drinking at 16, either. I see kids who do, it's mostly just a sign of being a bum or having emotional problems of some kind. I dabbled in all of the above, but frankly that was a long time ago and we had different pressures.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:27 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post

Sex - That belongs after marriage, and there's no two ways about it. There is no reason people in high school should be canoodling. End of discussion.
Lol, no, it doesn't. And second, what if they never decide to get married? Should they just avoid sex forever? Dumb reasoning. Also, do you mean High School students shouldn't have sex, or people that aren't married shouldn't? Your post is confusing there.

And like it or not, kids and young adults and above will always have sex (unless they're one of those that believes in only sex after marriage). Better to teach them to use protection and what not then pretend that they'll listen to you and never have sex pre-marriage. Very naive thinking.

Last edited by NewYorker11356; 08-23-2017 at 12:37 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 03:44 PM

494 posts, read 501,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Put in order from your first to last choice as to what you'd prefer that your 16-year-old do.

The choices are:

- Smoke cigarettes
- Drink beer
- Smoke weed
- Have sex
- Use a gun
- Live on their own

I'd prefer that my parenting would be such that I didn't have those problems.
Well, except use a gun in self-defense or to defend the homestead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting