Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 09:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Honestly, over the years, I've come to the conclusion that it's not so much the name that leads to teasing, it's more the person that leads to teasing.

My kids go to school with a Pooja (Indian name). When I first heard about Pooja, I thought to myself "wow, that poor girl" (especially given that we live in an area without a lot of Indians so Pooja is pretty "out there"). But then my kids told me that no one makes fun of Pooja's name because she's outgoing and confident and just not the kind of girl people would think to make fun of. On the other hand, I remember being a kid and people making jokes out of totally benign names (e.g. Fat Matt).
Yes, I think that's true. My female cousin and I each had a younger brother, both younger than the two of us. We gave them many mean nicknames, e.g. "Bobby Slobby" and "David the Devil", stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 11:43 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
First grade teacher sees a girl talking and calls out "Debbie!" but the child doesn't answer. "DEBBIE!" but still the child does not answer. Teacher goes over, actually gets the child attention, and says, "Debbie! Why didn't you answer when I
This is what roll call was like in the parochial school in the 1940's and 1950's:

"Mary?"........."Here, Sister!"

"Mary?"........."Present!"

"Mary?"........."Present, Sister!"

"Mary?"........"I'm here, Sister!"

"Mary?"
"Mary?"
"Are you here today, Mary?"......."She's out sick today, Sister!"

"Theresa?"......."Here, Sister!"

"Theresa?"......."Present, Sister!"

"Theresa?"......."I'm here, Sister!"

Old 08-23-2017, 12:02 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Several coded words for minorities in replies were deleted. So some of my posts are without context. Minorities are still minorities if they live in a predominantly same race neighborhood or town. Stop trying to justify racism.
Stop trying to justify it? Are you kidding? I'm thinking that the person who automatically assumed that the family was a minority was being racist, not me. You know, the person who saw the name, and jumped to the mistaken conclusion that "only a black family would name their child such a strange name." Which, BTW, wasn't me.

On the other hand, at which point does a "minority" stop becoming a minority? Worldwide? Nationwide? School-wide? City-wide? State-wide? Company-wide? What if an area reached a 50/50 balance? Then are they both minorities? Are neither of them minorities? Inquiring minds . . .

Old 08-23-2017, 12:08 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^This. All of it.

She could always use "Alizabeth" in later life. "Liz" is popular right now as a nickname for the regular spelling.

People do tend to name their kids for current events, or things that happened on the day they were born. Lots of kids born in December with Christmas-y names, for ex. When I had my second daughter on the 4th of July, people joked that we should have named her "Betsy Ross", "Martha Washington", etc.
I agree with both. There are far worse names. And the pairing of it with "Alizabeth", an unusual variant of "Elizabeth", adds to it's flexibility.

I have a friend with a son (now in his early 20s) named Orion. He is comfortable with his name, and has not changed it to "Ryan" which his parents thought he might.

We have many nature inspired names that have become accepted and commonplace. In the period of time when I was born, (late 50s early 60s) Dawn became popular.

Heather is another name that has caught on.

I think Eclipse Alizabeth has a pleasing Victorian lilt to it.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:34 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Stop trying to justify it? Are you kidding? I'm thinking that the person who automatically assumed that the family was a minority was being racist, not me. You know, the person who saw the name, and jumped to the mistaken conclusion that "only a black family would name their child such a strange name." Which, BTW, wasn't me.

On the other hand, at which point does a "minority" stop becoming a minority? Worldwide? Nationwide? School-wide? City-wide? State-wide? Company-wide? What if an area reached a 50/50 balance? Then are they both minorities? Are neither of them minorities? Inquiring minds . . .
As I said, many racist "code words" for minorities were used and those threads were deleted so there went the loss of context for some of my comments.

My automatic thought was just that they were hippies

Old 08-23-2017, 03:35 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
My MIL used to be a "Pink Lady" in the maternity ward of their local hospital. About once a week, someone would ask her "How do you spell 'Latisha Shaniqua'?" She would invariably respond "S-U-S-A-N". When they would look at her suspiciously, she'd shrug and saw, "People spell it lots of different ways. That's the way I spell it."

Always wondered how many babies are walking around today with their name spelled Susan, while their mother calls them "Latisha" . . .

That is freakin' hilarious. I worked in the accounting department of a national company years ago and the people on the 800 # would tell us stories of names that would leave the rest of us in shock.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:36 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times
Actually, there was another baby born at my hospital in Easley, around 10 a.m. on the day of the eclipse in South Carolina. We have chimes that play when a baby is brought into the world..... They were giving the babies born on the eclipse "one-sies" (outfits) The GHS owns most of the hospitals here.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
As I said, many racist "code words" for minorities were used and those threads were deleted so there went the loss of context for some of my comments.
The only one who continues to bring race into the subject is you. Mom and baby look to be white.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:30 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The only one who continues to bring race into the subject is you. Mom and baby look to be white.
yeah because my posts aren't offensive enough to have been deleted when replaying to racists. I saw one photo initially where they mother looked likely Hispanic and then one where she looked white.

So let me take race out of it (because the flat out racial comments were all deleted by admin). People are still making judgements on the parents and on this beautiful baby girl because of her name. Do you think that is right? Morally or accurate factually?

Yeah...it isn't.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:35 AM

73 posts, read 101,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Naming babies after athletes has always been popular too. I bet there's been an uptick in babies named Clark, Addison, Bryant, Anthony, etc. in Chicago since the Cubs won the World Series.
I know of a baby girl named Arrieta - yes, for the Cubs player. They call her Ari. Other than it being a Cub - it's not a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting