Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 PM

22,168 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
Why are there so many sickos out there? If you click on the red squares, it brings up a photo of the offender and a lot of them look like normal people, which makes it even scarier.
good point, good reality check.
they ARE the normal people you see out there
the "stereotype" is false as stereotypes usually are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 04:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
oh, I agree. This situation stated that this person sexually assaulted a 12 year old family member. Whatever the case may be, its a gentle reminder to always keep an eye on our little ones.
My point exactly! While it's really a bad scene for the girl no question about that, it doesn't mean he'll be scheming on anyone else's kids. Also don't forget the recent rash of female teachers. If I followed the latest round of hand wringing on the news I wouldn't let my child go to school either...

Old 03-16-2008, 08:40 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,741 times
I looked at Illinois state's sex offender website to check for sex offenders near a house we wanted to buy. Nothing came up near that house. We decided to put an offer on the house. Then I saw this thread two hours after we signed all the paperwork. I looked up the address we're interested in buying at familywatchdog.com and saw that there's a pedophile a HALF block away! I called my realtor and told her to put a hold on the offer. She HAD NOT sent the paperwork over to the seller's agent yet, thank goodness. So this guy was listed on family watch dog's site, but not the state of IL. I don't understand the discrepancy. I called the local police dept. where the house we want to purchase is located and told them about our dilemma. She said the state of IL must have different criteria than familywatchdog. Huh??? She said she would talk to her supervisor about it and have her supervisor look into all of the records to see if they are currently updated. Hopefully I'll get a call back tomorrow to see which website is accurate.
This guy's crimes were against male children. That's way too close to home for my comfort level.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Default With reference to people who don't belong on the registry

Personally, I do think some kind of differentiation be made when its a teenager having sex with their girlfriend.

However if my daughter is around an eighteen year old who has the habit of de-flowering young girls, I would like to know about it.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Personally, I do think some kind of differentiation be made when its a teenager having sex with their girlfriend.

However if my daughter is around an eighteen year old who has the habit of de-flowering young girls, I would like to know about it.
Of course you would and should! If your schools are anything like ours reputation usually proceeds these "on the prowl" teens or if some asking around is done someone will say something. I've found if you ask in the right way the friends will be more than happy to let you in on what they know about the people around them. While a lot of it is pure gossip there's usually nuggets of info in that gossip that are worth filing away in your cranium! If you listen real close you'll get who makes them uncomfortable, who worries them and who they trust. The big thing is never burn your source because if you do you'll most likely never hear another thing.
That being said all his friends know that if I hear something that puts someone in immediate peril I will do what I have to do.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:45 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
A lot of molestations happen in the home, you just cannot be vigilant enough. That's the scariest to me, not only that strangers would do this but family and friends of the family. It seems like there is no safe place. Kids need to be taught very early on what's good and bad and just because a relative does it, doesn't make it OK.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:36 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
oh, I agree. This situation stated that this person sexually assaulted a 12 year old family member. Whatever the case may be, its a gentle reminder to always keep an eye on our little ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
My point exactly! While it's really a bad scene for the girl no question about that, it doesn't mean he'll be scheming on anyone else's kids. Also don't forget the recent rash of female teachers. If I followed the latest round of hand wringing on the news I wouldn't let my child go to school either...
Are you aware that an abuser who preys on children within his own family doesn't necessarily stay within the family? ONE sexual abuser wracks up approximately 100-400 children in his lifetime if he is not stopped. They prey on children within the family because of availability but they by no means remain within the family. Its very unlikely that this incidence of abuse is his first time.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:50 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree Brian
I was searching sex offender site and the address came up three houses down from where I use to live. My neice and her 3 sons live there now so I inquired further. Turned out to be a young woman who had a fling with a 17 yr. old. I would'nt consider her a threat or pedophile. Maybe a horn dog that makes bad decisions, anyway she will be labeled a sexual predator for the rest of her life.
I agree too - I have a feeling many of these people labeled as sex offenders are no threat. Obviously someone who preys on children and teens or a rapist is someone you don't want around, but my neighborhood recently discovered a "sex offender" a block away and everyone's freaking out. The site doesn't say exactly what he did, but it wasn't related to children (they state if the person is a known pediphile) and I see him regularly at the gym, and he certainly doesn't look like some creepy guy. He's also fairly young (22) so it could have been something like a relationship with a 17 year old when he was 19 or something like that. I'm aware, I know he's here, but I'm not on the bandwagon with a few neighbors to chase him away.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:57 AM

22,168 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I have a feeling many of these people labeled as sex offenders are no threat. Obviously someone who preys on children and teens or a rapist is someone you don't want around, but my neighborhood recently discovered a "sex offender" a block away and everyone's freaking out. The site doesn't say exactly what he did, but it wasn't related to children (they state if the person is a known pediphile) and I see him regularly at the gym, and he certainly doesn't look like some creepy guy. .
this a really dangerous attitude to carry around, dangerous sex offenders DO NOT fit the "creepy guy" stereotype so by thinking they must, or that someone who doesn't is no threat, is really skewed thinking.

Whether it's through denial ('i don't want to admit things like this exist in the world, especially in my neighborhood'), or defending the attacker (it's a red flag in general when people start "sticking up for" rapists or sex offenders, and downplaying their crimes).....so to say for whatever reason 'it's not a big deal'.....that attitude and response is a red flag to have. The list exists for a reason. Nobody NOBODY gets on there for "no big deal."

Why would you "make up excuses" for this person, especially when you don't even know what they are on there for?
Or is it somehow disturbing that someone who "hangs out at the gym and seems to be a regular guy" is on a known sex offender list? Time for a reality check, it sounds like you are in denial big time.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
this a really dangerous attitude to carry around, dangerous sex offenders DO NOT fit the "creepy guy" stereotype so by thinking they must, or that someone who doesn't is no threat, is really skewed thinking.

Whether it's through denial ('i don't want to admit things like this exist in the world, especially in my neighborhood'), or defending the attacker (it's a red flag in general when people start "sticking up for" rapists or sex offenders, and downplaying their crimes).....so to say for whatever reason 'it's not a big deal'.....that attitude and response is a red flag to have. The list exists for a reason. Nobody NOBODY gets on there for "no big deal."

Why would you "make up excuses" for this person, especially when you don't even know what they are on there for?
Or is it somehow disturbing that someone who "hangs out at the gym and seems to be a regular guy" is on a known sex offender list? Time for a reality check, it sounds like you are in denial big time.
I think our society is too quick to stick this label on people. I have a brother who was placed on the list years ago, and he's paralyzed from the waist down and in a freakin' wheel chair! (He was with a girl doing something other than intercourse and she was 4 months from being legal, he was 2 years older). He's no sexual threat to anyone. After seeing how he was treated by the system, I just fail to believe that all these people are dangerous threats.

The site I looked at had different categories and the guy near our house was not a child predator or a rapist, listed in the lowest threat category. I'm not in denial - I'm just a realist. If he were listed as having stalked children or raped women, then my attitude would be very different. I'm aware of the guy in the neighborhood so yeah, I'll pay more attention when I see him. But I'm just sick of neighbors passing around e-mails about him like he's a terrorist about to pounce on us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting