Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:40 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,404,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
But, one of her friends has a Dad who is a widower and is not remarried.
Of course you would invite them all. Leaving him out would likely make him feel bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:02 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Great idea - this probably goes without saying, but be sure to have alternatives to wine and beer for those who don't partake.

Have fun!

Old 08-25-2017, 10:18 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
My daughter is an 8th grader (almost age 14). I have been contemplating hosting a "Mom's Night" to get to know her BFFs' parents. I wasn't really looking to have a big couples' party, but rather more like a wine and cheese get together. But, one of her friends has a Dad who is a widower and is not remarried. So, I don't want to make this weird for anyone.

In this situation, would you:

a. Invite all the moms plus this single dad
b. Invite all the parents (so all couples except single dad)

I don't want him to feel weird, but I don't want to exclude him just because he's a Dad and not a Mom.

I'm willing to do whatever. I just know that my husband and his buddies aren't generally interested in this type of thing. I don't know if it's different for a single Dad since he's having to play both roles.
Does he possibly have a significant other? Could you word the invitation to let him know it's ok to bring a plus one if there is one?

Old 08-25-2017, 10:27 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Does he possibly have a significant other? Could you word the invitation to let him know it's ok to bring a plus one if there is one?
I don't think he does, but I do not know that for sure. I can get my daughter to subtly inquire with her friend. From the little I've seen of him, it appears that his two girls are his priority.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:30 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Very nice idea, CMMom. I don't have specific advice for you, but you're absolutely headed in the right direction by making friends of the parents of your daughter's friends.

Best wishes with this effort.
Yes, I want to know them before we get to the driving and possibly unsupervised party stage! To know who I can trust to be on top of things and who might be too lax about that kind of stuff. And to make friends, too, of course.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,075 times
Absolutely all the parents.

People might not be available and moms aren't the only ones who care about their kids (I know you weren't saying that) and may not even be the primary caregiver.

I have a female friend with two children. She loves them well enough, but their father takes care of all the regular parenting stuff.

If it's a wine and cheese type neighborhood, that would be fine, I'm sure. I would personally do my best not to make it seem only upper class though, in case some child's parents were more chips and dip type people.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:28 AM

284 posts, read 234,437 times
Quote:
I don't think he does, but I do not know that for sure. I can get my daughter to subtly inquire with her friend. From the little I've seen of him, it appears that his two girls are his priority.
Do you have a good SINGLE friend you could also invite? Wouldn't have to be a mom of one of the kids, just o hey, my friend Patty showed up too!

Old 08-25-2017, 12:11 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andie1969 View Post
Do you have a good SINGLE friend you could also invite? Wouldn't have to be a mom of one of the kids, just o hey, my friend Patty showed up too!
I think this is a BAD idea.

Invite all the parents.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:14 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
My daughter is an 8th grader (almost age 14). I have been contemplating hosting a "Mom's Night" to get to know her BFFs' parents. I wasn't really looking to have a big couples' party, but rather more like a wine and cheese get together. But, one of her friends has a Dad who is a widower and is not remarried. So, I don't want to make this weird for anyone.

In this situation, would you:

a. Invite all the moms plus this single dad
b. Invite all the parents (so all couples except single dad)

I don't want him to feel weird, but I don't want to exclude him just because he's a Dad and not a Mom.

I'm willing to do whatever. I just know that my husband and his buddies aren't generally interested in this type of thing. I don't know if it's different for a single Dad since he's having to play both roles.
I'd invite ALL the parents. Why single out the moms? Dads are parents, too. Just because your husband and his buddies aren't interested in this type of thing, doesn't mean that other men feel the same. It's good to get to know your children's friend's parents...never know when a crisis may happen and you need each other. You could make it a wine, craft beer, and cheese get together or grill dinner for everyone.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:17 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andie1969 View Post
Please do NOT do this! Fixing up someone you don't know is a horrible idea. He could be VERY offended and the friendship with your children could be over. He's a widower....let him date on his own schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting