Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 01:11 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post

I'd go to the principal and ask. Is it possible that your granddaughter misunderstood? That's completely absurd. If the principal confirms it, go over his head (if that's the case, I would assume the principal is a male) and talk to the superintendent.

This whole topic goes back to how boys feel about the breasts of their female peers. It's gross. Let girls and young women wear what makes them comfortable and teach the boys to act like civilized humans. Problem solved.

AGREED!! Especially in middle school! Geez, some of those girls in 7th and 8th grade are bigger endowed than me! Could you imagine running in gym class without a bra? Something is just not right and I really think your granddaughter is misunderstanding. I'm sure they can't have the strap hanging out, but they can't ban girls from wearing undergarments! Talk to the principal and then the Superintendent and school board if needed, but I have a feeling it's a misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
I was 12 when development occurred. It took til I was 13 to surrender to that contraption!

My poor guardians had a heck of a time in reminding me to wear that gear....augh!

Only reason I wore it in the beginning was that I was painfully aware of how the Boys...who were supposed my friends ....stared. That was terribly uncomfortable...to be an "object".

Old 09-02-2017, 01:52 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
We have a situation that is related I think. My granddaughter is ten and is developing, She just started Middle School and is having a problem, She does wear bras, and has been told the school does not allow the wearing of bras because, "get this", if a boy sees the outline of a bra or the brief exposure of a strap, they will be distracted.
That has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard, not to mention how uncomfortable that would make the developing girls at the school.
School just started a week ago and we are not sure how we are going to handle this yet.
At my daughter's school, the policy is that a bra strap can't be showing. That means tank top straps etc. have to be 3 fingers width. I can only assume she misunderstood what she was told.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:01 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
At my daughter's school, the policy is that a bra strap can't be showing. That means tank top straps etc. have to be 3 fingers width. I can only assume she misunderstood what she was told.
Same rule at my local school district and going without a bra of some sort is not an option the student will be sent home. Can't remember what grade the bra rule goes in effect but I'm thinking 6th grade.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:15 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
My oldest starting developing the summer between 4th & 5th. I asked her if we should pick up some bras when we went back-to-school shopping and she readily agreed. It made me think she'd been thinking about it for a while and was just shy about asking. She was 10.5.

My younger daughter is 10 and in 5th now, but has a more petite body type and is completely child-like right now. She hasn't asked, and I haven't brought it up. I'm fine with getting her some if she wants, even if she doesn't physically "need" any. I figure I'll ask her right before 6th grade starts next year, if she hasn't mentioned anything and is still flat. She may want them just for locker room changes.

I wouldn't force the issue for my girls, though, regardless of what size they were. Their body, their choice as long as it's nothing unhealthy, and going bra-less doesn't fit that category.

If they're missing parties because of their bra status, I say good. Not a party I want them at, anyway.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:19 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My daughter complains about putting one on if I have to ask her to (she does it about half the time on her own) but I don't think it bothers her too much.
Mine complained too, and she went without probably till she reached cup A and started moving towards cup B. Then I started insisting on a sporty light support bra, - and yes, it required almost daily contention. That was at 11. She always rejected with horror the "grown woman" bras, and it was OK with me - the sporty ones were OK, too.

What I did not realize was that she would keep developing, developing and developing..... Beyond my imagination. I sort of assumed that she would be size A like me, and only after childbirth might move onto B and C. But what happened, was that she moved to live with her father, I haven't seen her for a year, and she just stuck with the sporty kind as usual over there. When she returned, I was horrified. She needed non-standard sizes, she did not fit into the sport bras anymore, she would stuff herself into them haphazardly, spilling all over the place, and was uncomfortable with all this as if a foreign body was attached to her. Her father did not understand that she needed help.

IMMEDIATELY we went shopping, buying the "grown ladies" firm support , and she did not issue a sound against it. She finally matured enough to feel the difference between a weak piece of cloth (the sporty bras) and the real support. The solution was temporary, I had have to search high and low online for nonstandard sizes with small under-chest circumference. All this was happening at 13-14.

Last edited by nuala; 09-04-2017 at 12:01 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 12:36 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times
My daughter is 12, and has been wearing cami tops for ages. When she turned 11, I bought her some soft sports-type bras (we call them bralets) to wear in dance class & to soccer. She is quite developed, and I explained it might be more comfortable. I bought plain bralets, then asked if she wanted to go shopping for fun ones. She was hesitant & embarrassed until I told her they were another accessory. That's all it took. She likes all things fashion & shopping. Now she wears them every day. She recently asked if she could try a "real" bra. I'm glad she's comfortable enough to ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting