Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:12 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
People are allowed not to find jokes funny. Not everyone has the same sense of humor. And many people find some types of humor crass. So chill.

+1

But I wasn't offended. I was just reminded of all the people I play tennis with saying how happy they were to get rid of the kids when school started.

Then just today some woman at my 3 year old's gymnastics class got on my wife for not putting her in daycare.

A conversation we are faced with often: "What school does stan4 jr go to?"
"None. No such thing as *school* for a 2 year old."
"I can't believe it! We are not qualified to teach these kids."
"You don't know how to count and read? Stop reproducing."

My wife is wayyyyy nicer, though. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There are tons of folks I know who are ecstatic to offload their young once school starts.

Different strokes...
Maybe I just hung around with a strange group when mine were younger; I don't remember anyone ever saying that. Some would say, "it's about time" and stuff like that, but none of this "I can't wait till they get back in school, blah, blah".

Old 09-05-2017, 07:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Maybe I just hung around with a strange group when mine were younger; I don't remember anyone ever saying that. Some would say, "it's about time" and stuff like that, but none of this "I can't wait till they get back in school, blah, blah".
You had a good crowd then. I remember my mom told everyone who would listen how tired she was of her kids being home. There were some others. A few moms in my crowd but I don't usually hang out with people like that long. Some people make a huge deal out of it, like being around your own kid is like spending time in an insane asylum. Sometimes I do need a break. Not going to lie. But overall, I actually like being around my kids.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:12 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Oh gosh, I love my children to pieces, but it's really nice to have time alone. I've been a mom for twenty-one years, and I not feeling the least bit guilty about relishing the quickly approaching empty nest stage. After they're all gone for a few years, I'll be ready to dive back in with grandchildren, but for now, this is heaven.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:44 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
People are allowed not to find jokes funny. Not everyone has the same sense of humor. And many people find some types of humor crass. So chill.
Its still a joke, even if you don't find it funny.

There is nothing "crass" about parents sending their children off to school. It doesn't mean the parents hate their children, don't like spending time with them, or whatever other wild thing some of the posters are coming up with to put down these parents. Its a normal thing that a lot of parents do each and every fall.

What is so wrong with these families wanting to have a little fun, and relieve some back to school stress? I get that it wouldn't help alleviate any stress for your children, but that is why you wouldn't take such a picture. Other families are different and enjoy goofing around with each other and taking these types of silly pictures. I'm sure there are plenty of things that you do in your family that wouldn't work in mine. But I wouldn't call you crass for it.... Different strokes for different folks, right?

Can't we just enjoy the fact that parents are having fun with their children without getting all judgmental over it?

And considering I'm not one of the posters getting bothered by a joke, family pictures taken in good fun, I'm not really understanding why you think I'm the one who needs to chill.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Eh. Even if I'm relieved on the inside to get back to the structure and order of the school year (and not be paying out the nose for day camp anymore), there's just no way I'd hurt their feelings by making a BFD about it.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:35 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
there's just no way I'd hurt their feelings by making a BFD about it.
From the pictures, you can tell a lot of the kids are either laughing, or trying not to laugh. They're in on the joke. There are no hurt feelings. Obviously if this is something that would hurt your kid's feelings, then its not the type of silly picture to take on the first day of school.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:44 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Family #3 is adorable.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Bet my mum loved it when we went back to school - 5 kids in the house all summer must have driven her crazy!

I had mixed feelings with my daughter started school, partly "at long freakin' last!" but when it came time to say goodbye I was surprised to find myself blinking back tears. I expect next year after the long summer holiday I might feel more relieved when she goes back.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It's a joke!
Stick. Butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting