Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

While kids are not always thrilled to go back to school, for some reason parents do not always share that feeling. Heck, one might say that they are even happy about it.

Funny pictures, Moms And Dads Post That Horrible Moment Their Kids Go Back To School | Bored Panda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:10 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
My kids would be heartbroken if I did that. But they both had anxiety about starting so it would be very hurtful to them. They were even happy about going back, just anxious. They also would feel sad if they felt like I was happy to get rid of them.

I know it's meant as a joke...I tend not to like jokes at the expense of kids. But perhaps all the kids enjoyed it.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:15 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My kids would be heartbroken if I did that. But they both had anxiety about starting so it would be very hurtful to them. They were even happy about going back, just anxious. They also would feel sad if they felt like I was happy to get rid of them.

I know it's meant as a joke...I tend not to like jokes at the expense of kids. But perhaps all the kids enjoyed it.
OMG. You only joke like this if your kids know it is a joke and also think it is funny. Sometimes being too serious can actually increase anxiety and hurt.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:16 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,281,440 times
I'm impressed the kids in these pictures cooperated as well as they did. Our first day pictures are more like this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhcA4Ry65FU

Old 09-05-2017, 11:51 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm impressed the kids in these pictures cooperated as well as they did. Our first day pictures are more like this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhcA4Ry65FU
>

That was HILarious. THANK YOU

Old 09-05-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
OMG. You only joke like this if your kids know it is a joke and also think it is funny. Sometimes being too serious can actually increase anxiety and hurt.
I was sharing my kids wouldn't think that was a funny joke and it would hurt their feelings. And I acknowledged it was a "joke"...just that I didn't personally find it that funny, but maybe the kids in the photos did...what is wrong with any of what I said?

I handled the first day in a way that made it low stress and more fun for my kids. The kids got up with their alarms (woohoo) so we got to get breakfast out and I drove them to school and walked them in, said good bye. They were in fine spirits. I didn't even do a first day back to school photo because that increases their stress and this morning was about *them* and their start to a new year. It was not about me and my chance to take a viral photo.

I think I was pretty even minded when I posted not expecting all kids to by like mine are. But when I was a kid, I HATED school and would start the dreaded countdown to back to school the second day of summer. As the days wore down, it really upset me when my parents would joke about getting rid of me. They were too tone deaf to realize that a) it hurts sensitive children to hear they are a burden on their parents when they are home and b) it just reminds the anxious kid how close it is until school. Eek!

And honestly, I don't feel the same as these parents. My kids participate in camps off and on through the summer. We get to travel and explore places we haven't been to when they aren't. And I get to sleep in. But being a SAHM, I don't mind having them around. I was able to conquer the screen time battle, so there wasn't much in the way of fighting. My kids are pretty well behaved so its not like they are little monsters I hate being around.

The only big thing I am happy about with school being back in is a consistent schedule instead of changing week to week. And I am excited to see how both kids do in new schools. They seem like good fits for them so I am looking forward to (hopefully) seeing that.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsez View Post
i'm impressed the kids in these pictures cooperated as well as they did. Our first day pictures are more like this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhca4ry65fu
lol!

Old 09-05-2017, 12:14 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,540 times
Hilarious!! Nobody at my house is sensitive, thank goodness. When our kids were young the moms used to get together for brunch on the first day of school. We all enjoyed some good food, adult beverages and adult conversation with no kids present. It was a tradition while the kids were in grammar school.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:20 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,734,181 times
That's me and I love it!!! Mine are all in college and the military now so those days are gone.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:23 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,868,668 times
I'm surprised that my mother wasn't dancing naked in the street when we all went back to school. I'm sure after she dropped us off, she went home and rolled around on the floor laughing. We were a handful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting