Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 04:56 PM

776 posts, read 394,418 times

Advertisements

https://www.vox.com/a/teens

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/25/5748178...tion-on-record

https://nytimes.com/2017/07/31/well/...teenagers.html

The end of young love: Dating is in decline among the "i-Generation", study finds

All these studies show one thing: Teenagers today are the most obedient in a long time, if not ever. What's causing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:14 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
This is intereresting to me as well. My own kids - almost teens - are so much more rule-bound than I was, so much more risk-averse. I guess it's good in some ways but also kind of annoying. They act like we're going to get arrested if we break any rules!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:40 AM

776 posts, read 394,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
This is intereresting to me as well. My own kids - almost teens - are so much more rule-bound than I was, so much more risk-averse. I guess it's good in some ways but also kind of annoying. They act like we're going to get arrested if we break any rules!
What do you think has caused this? Years of indoctrination? Changes in parenting? Post-Columbine, post-9/11 hysteria?

Old 09-13-2017, 05:09 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
What do you think has caused this? Years of indoctrination? Changes in parenting? Post-Columbine, post-9/11 hysteria?
not letting them make mistakes/getting into trouble/accidents

being overly protective means they don't learn from their own experiences but from "stories" and books/lessons

only "world" they know are the things they are given/told, why would they do anything different?

the risk takers on the other hand, take even larger risks as if to make up for lost time

edit: I don't buy the binge drinking article, younger people are more "cyber" social than actual face to face social due to social media... hard to get drunk off virtual beer... harder to get real beer when sitting at home with a cellphone when they can't buy it on their own. smoking/drinking/sex, all "social" activities, and all are lower in today's youth. the common denominator, they aren't socializing anymore
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2667880
Quote:
My own kids - almost teens - are so much more rule-bound than I was, so much more risk-averse.
bet you could play outside without needing to be watched, that you could fall down, lick your wounds then get back up without someone handing you a bandaid

Last edited by MLSFan; 09-13-2017 at 05:19 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 05:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
It used to be that they were horrible at 14, but by 15 turned around in order to improve their chances of parental approval in getting their drivers license. Now, driving at 15-1/2 is not as critical as it was, with social media. Perhaps that carrot is now college, and even being able to live at home longer.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Ive definitely noticed this, I think its due to kids being so sheltered today, in the 70s and 80s when I was in my wild rebellious youth, it was not uncommon for kids of 12 to start smoking, drinking, drugs, having sex, staying out all night, etc etc. Some parents didnt like it but its not like it is today, rarely would police be involved or anything serious, it was just part of growing up.

I remember when I was 14, one of the girls in my neighborhood that also went to the same school, started acting rebellious, she hung out with a different crowd, she was drinking, staying out all night, doing drugs, she was even dating a 25 yr old guy living on the same street for a short time. We all knew she was doing this kind of stuff, many of the other parents knew as well, but it wasnt as serious as if the same thing were to happen today, no one ever called police, they may have brought her home a few times for being drunk or being out too late, but nothing was ever done to intervene or change her behavior.

I knew her somewhat back then, but didnt run with her crowd too often, however in the long run, she survived, eventually went to college and today works in a veterinarians office.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:26 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I imagine teens who had to run farms or families 100 years ago were pretty responsible, too.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:00 PM

696 posts, read 905,092 times
I'm not sure that they are.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
My kids have less initiative than I had as a teen. I remember being really bored, already read every book in the house, nothing on tv except reruns, the radio played the same ten songs over and over, most of my time was taken up with schoolwork, chores or taking care of my siblings, but if I wasn't home, I couldn't be made to do those things. I used to go out and find things to do to chase away the boredom. Most of those things were forbidden. My mother was also really stingy with the air conditioning and there was never any food in the house, which also made me want to leave whenever I could.

My kids aren't bored. There's Netflix and Amazon Video and Google Play and YouTube and Pandora. They never run out of things to watch, read or listen to. They can socialize as much or as little as they want without ever leaving the house. There's food and good air conditioning. Their beds are big enough to sprawl out on and their rooms are full of cool stuff. There's no incentive to go out and do dumb things out of boredom. There's not much incentive to go out and do anything at all. My 15 year old is at the 15 1/2 mark this month and could be getting her learner's permit, but she says she's not interested in driving yet and she'll let us know when she's ready.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
I don't know that they really are but more that we keep them busier and they have less time to cause trouble. I mean, my teen has more homework than I did, hockey practices, off ice workouts. Plus they spend time chatting online, playing Xbox online, and not hanging out somewhere. We are not at college planning yet but it is clear that far more extracurricular activity is required to get those spots in the great universities where I had to get great grades and join a few token clubs. Now, they need more extensive involvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting