Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I started this thread to ask questions. You know nothing about what I teach my child, whether he/she cries or not, or anything else.
Okay, I did not intend to be preachy but maybe that's how it came across. I certainly don't (and didn't) claim to know what you teach your child. I was cautioning about what lesson might be imparted to him/her based on how you reacted to the unfairness, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is a question for parents only. Have you ever encountered a situation where your child's teacher, didn't like your child or treated him/her unfairly? And why do you think that was? And how did you deal with it?
... that was your OP (as a reminder only), and I responded to your describing the situation as being unfair to your child. Life has its unfair moments, and how you handle this with your child can teach many things: it can impart a victim mentality, or it can show how to reach across and open a dialogue, or it can teach him/her to run/cry/hide, or it can teach how to take initiative and work collectively towards a solution, or other things. And you, as the parent, help to teach those lessons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 05:30 AM

922 posts, read 1,111,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Texas? It's your state. Sorry. It gets much worse next year. This year they are trying to prep them for 2-3 hours of homework next year. Look into options to opt out of the STAAR.

We are definitely opting out of the STAAR tests. There is no way we are going to allow our kids to go through the stress and military-like quality of those tests.

And we originally came from CA, which is even worse for testing and now has Common Core. I'm college-educated and I can't figure out 3rd grade Common Core math problems.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:31 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
As a teacher, I can honestly say that I have never run across a child that I didn't like. I would never treat a child differently because of his/her behavior. They are children. There have, however, been plenty of parents I couldn't stand. Nine times out of ten, if a child has issues (barring any true diagnosable condition) it all made sense as soon as I met or talked with the parents. Or if the parents didn't have time to meet or talk about their child, which happens a lot.
Pretty sure you are one of those teachers that does treat a child "differently",just from your post I can tell.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:31 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Our daughter began 2nd grade this year and my DH and I are not terribly thrilled with her teacher. This particular teacher is very focused on tests and scores and we feel as if the love of learning may be getting muddled some. The homework is piling up and there have already been several episodes of our daughter getting upset because she has to do yet another worksheet or assignment after completing several others.

I let her teacher know that we are NOT going to allow our daughter to get to the point of tears when it comes to homework. She's freaking 7 years old, for crissakes! It's one thing to develop solid homework/study skills but it's another to just pile it on and on after a day of quizzes, tests and score-keeping. What good does that do, really? Our kids have been in school all day and when they come home they want a good snack and some down time spent outside, reading a book, doing a craft project or playing with their toys. Several of the other parents have also expressed dismay at the amount of homework required in this teacher's class and have told me that their children are exhausted, too.

Being bombarded with homework often has a negative effect and I've already let our daughter's teacher know that my husband and I are not going to push the homework crap with our kid. The teacher didn't particularly like hearing that but that's not my problem. Our daughter still has to complete the assignments but if she needs a break for a day then we're fine with it. And if her teacher doesn't like it then that broad can kiss my a$$.
I agree. None of that is developmentally appropriate. I would arm myself with the numerous studies supporting that, and take it to the teacher as you explain that she's not doing it. I would even go so far as to switch classes.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My daughter's kindergarten teacher really seemed to dislike her. We suffered through a whole year of it because we didn't know better.
No, if there was any suffering don't blame it on ignorance of the situation.Sounds like you just want to blame the teacher and not take responsibility for yourself as a parent.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
We are definitely opting out of the STAAR tests. There is no way we are going to allow our kids to go through the stress and military-like quality of those tests.

And we originally came from CA, which is even worse for testing and now has Common Core. I'm college-educated and I can't figure out 3rd grade Common Core math problems.
I'm in Texas too. Trust me, no one hates the STAAR test more than teachers. And even though we technically don't have Common Core, it's basically the same thing; they just don't call it that. And it's horrible.

What sucks about opting your kids out is that you can't opt them out in their senior year of high school. They will have to take and pass the test in order to graduate, unless you go to private school. That's the only reason I haven't opted my kids out. I'd rather they have the practice, so hopefully they won't stress so much in 12th grade. I consider them practice tests.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Our daughter began 2nd grade this year and my DH and I are not terribly thrilled with her teacher. This particular teacher is very focused on tests and scores and we feel as if the love of learning may be getting muddled some. The homework is piling up and there have already been several episodes of our daughter getting upset because she has to do yet another worksheet or assignment after completing several others.

I let her teacher know that we are NOT going to allow our daughter to get to the point of tears when it comes to homework. She's freaking 7 years old, for crissakes! It's one thing to develop solid homework/study skills but it's another to just pile it on and on after a day of quizzes, tests and score-keeping. What good does that do, really? Our kids have been in school all day and when they come home they want a good snack and some down time spent outside, reading a book, doing a craft project or playing with their toys. Several of the other parents have also expressed dismay at the amount of homework required in this teacher's class and have told me that their children are exhausted, too.

Being bombarded with homework often has a negative effect and I've already let our daughter's teacher know that my husband and I are not going to push the homework crap with our kid. The teacher didn't particularly like hearing that but that's not my problem. Our daughter still has to complete the assignments but if she needs a break for a day then we're fine with it. And if her teacher doesn't like it then that broad can kiss my a$$.
Check out the private and Parochial schools close to you.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Every teacher now is "very focused on tests and scores". The entire educational complex is. For teachers it's their job on the line with every wrong answer, for Administration at all levels, from school based to the Superintendent's office, it's their bonuses which are impacted.
To a point,the Private and Parochial schools are different and allow teachers to actually teach.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:10 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My daughter's kindergarten teacher really seemed to dislike her. We suffered through a whole year of it because we didn't know better.
This and several other posts are right on . I should have insisted my youngest be moved her 4th grade teacher's hatred toward our entire family was so intense . I did speak to 2 other teachers who said they would like to take her instead - everyone could see this . She was a shy, small, child and since my husband is dutch this woman - I wont be calling her teacher - bullied her to the point of raising her voice to her and asking her , WHATS THE MATTER WITH YOU , DO YOU ONLY SPEAK DUTCH OR HAVE A HEARING PROBLEM ??? Stupid *$^#& had the nerve to tell me this .
She would not speak to us during our conference times she would run late with the parents ahead and tell us we could look through J's work ourselves. She was EXTREMELY rude when my husband and I saw her at a large grocery market and she called us over . We were trying to avoid her and she started her *#&@ about our family right then . I walked off and not sure what my DH said if anything .

This woman constantly belittled her about her accent ,knowing more about the Alamo instead of Lewis and Clark ( 4th grade fresh out of Texas ) How WE dressed you can see our outrageous frightening selves right here! and even what my make up looked like.

Daughter is a junior now . We were never able to get her to like school again where before she'd been a straight A honor roll student - everything crashed and burned right there in that woman's room - she should have been woman enough to recognize her own dislike for her and had her transferred .

The High and Junior high thats she attends here in the district we live in now are aware of this and its taken along time and alot of trouble for alot of people to get her self esteem back and grades good enough that she can get into the school she wants to . She loves her drama classes and French , the rest is like pulling teeth . VERY angry at myself for not transferring her to another teacher . I was afraid she would get it worse during the times she would have to be with her for math and like some other posters here foolishly thought she needed to get to learn to have a bit thicker skin . I was wrong .

Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Pretty sure you are one of those teachers that does treat a child "differently",just from your post I can tell.
Wow. Didn't realize you could judge my entire career by a post. I guess all of those awards I've won and letters I continue to receive from children and parents of children I had years ago thanking me are all just BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting