Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times

Advertisements

When I was in middle school I LOVED the Mediator series by Meg Cabot. Age range is apparently 12-17 but if you look it up you can decide what you think for your own daughter. I also liked reading and was always good at it (read quickly and relatively advanced for my age). It's a supernatural series but not scary. Basically, it's this teenager who can see and talk to ghosts and help them resolve whatever reason they're still hanging around, but otherwise she's totally normal and has friends, does normal teen things, goes to a Catholic school in coastal CA. There are 6 books but a search told me she's since written 2 more shorter ones to complete the series. I actually reread this series at least once I loved it so much, but I like that genre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 02:42 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,366,656 times
For genre fiction, my older two read mostly fantasy, urban and high, and dystopian.

My 5th grader read Wicked a few weeks ago and is on book three of The Mortal Instruments. She also really loved A Wrinkle in Time, and plans to read the rest in the series once she's finished with her current series. Her favorite series last year was Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn, and really enjoyed Hidden Figures. She liked Enders Game okay.

When my oldest was in 6th grade she read The Maze Runner, The Mortal Instruments, LOTR, The Hobbit, Uglies series, Neil Gaiman books, which she and her sister love, especially Stardust, and many others I can't possibly remember. She just finished book one of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. The Discovery of Witches is her new favorite series at the moment.

ETA:

His Dark Materials. My girls loved this series and were disappointed in the movie The Golden Compass. They tend to pick apart film adaptations that don't follow the books. Lol.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
For genre fiction, my older two read mostly fantasy, urban and high, and dystopian.

My 5th grader read Wicked a few weeks ago and is on book three of The Mortal Instruments. She also really loved A Wrinkle in Time, and plans to read the rest in the series once she's finished with her current series. Her favorite series last year was Valkyrie by Kate O'Hearn, and really enjoyed Hidden Figures. She liked Enders Game okay.

When my oldest was in 6th grade she read The Maze Runner, The Mortal Instruments, LOTR, The Hobbit, Uglies series, Neil Gaiman books, which she and her sister love, especially Stardust, and many others I can't possibly remember. She just finished book one of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms. The Discovery of Witches is her new favorite series at the moment.

ETA:

His Dark Materials. My girls loved this series and were disappointed in the movie The Golden Compass. They tend to pick apart film adaptations that don't follow the books. Lol.
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is a really good series but has some very descriptive sexual content. I was thinking that was what OP was trying to avoid.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is a really good series but has some very descriptive sexual content. I was thinking that was what OP was trying to avoid.
Then I guess ignore those that aren't PG. A Wrinkle in Time and others of a similar theme and content are a good bet.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:39 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,026 times
My daughter LOVED Chris Colfer's Land of Stories series. She's an avid reader who has read everything in the world, but this was one of her favorites. She also loves Rick Riordan's books (he has several series that are somewhat similar- they follow different mythologies (Greek, Roman, Norwegian, Egyptian).

Old 09-27-2017, 10:40 PM

218 posts, read 172,057 times
Cosmopolitan.com - The Women's Magazine for Fashion, Sex Advice, Dating Tips, and Celebrity News

Old 09-28-2017, 11:36 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,440 times
https://www.amazon.com/Shelf-Discove.../dp/0061756350 - this is a great book for re-discovering some of the classics we read as kids!

Old 09-28-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
My daughter LOVED Chris Colfer's Land of Stories series. She's an avid reader who has read everything in the world, but this was one of her favorites. She also loves Rick Riordan's books (he has several series that are somewhat similar- they follow different mythologies (Greek, Roman, Norwegian, Egyptian).
How could I forget. My girls loved this series.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:19 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,440 times
Isn't it funny to think we were reading Flowers in the Attic when we were in 7th/8th grade? Yikes!

Old 09-29-2017, 06:23 AM

214 posts, read 180,294 times
My daughter really liked the Michael Vey series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting