Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 PM

417 posts, read 189,038 times

Advertisements

[quote=HighFlyingBird;49680571]How often does a store forget to put something in a bag that you paid for and you end up without it? A lot. I used to work at a store. They make no effort to get it back to you. In fact, its returned to the store shelves and sold again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not necessarily,

I once purchased some ice cream that was not in the bag when I got home. I called the market and the manager checked and said the cashiers didn't have any ice cream left on the counter, but to give her my name and she would make sure that I got it when I came back in. I told her I would come right back now.

When I got arrived, there was an older women coming in with her husband giving him grief over his trying to sneak ice cream into the house when he was a diabetic. And the husband kept telling her that he didn't. It was my ice cream. It inadvertently got packed into their bag.

And just last week I had a store employee run a can of refried beans out to my car when they saw it had been left on the counter. I was standing next to my car texting and when he tapped me on the shoulder, it scared the hell out of me. I must have jumped two feet. LOL

Two different stores, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:23 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,627,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not sure why we're having such trouble communicating. Maybe it's me.

Intent has everything in the world to do with how you handle a child taking something from a store.

If it's a 2 year old, and the item is of little value, you put the item on the hall table and take it back next time you're in the area.

If it's a 4 year old, there's a lesson to be taught here along with the return of the item. You need to react differently, due to the intent of the 4 year old to purposely take something that doesn't belong to him, unlike the 2 year old who doesn't understand that concept.

So the action that's different is the immediacy of going back to the store, and the necessity of involving the 4 year old in the process of making things right.
No it doesn't.

Regardless of intent you return it or pay for it. End of story.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:45 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,679,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It doesnt take 10 minutes to give an employee a pack of gum. Since it wasnt paid for, there is no return to process. It takes less than one minute to do. Even if it took longer, the employee is getting paid no matter what. Its not like stores only pay their employees for the time they are physically interacting with a customer.

And no, they wouldn't throw away a pack of gum just because a baby touched it. Gum packets are wrapped in plastic, and then the gum itself is wrapped in paper/foil inside of a paper container. The gum is safe.
Right, that's my point. You're costing the store money by standing there interacting with their employee. As for it not taking 10 minutes... have you ever been to the customer service department at a store like Walmart? I imagine this would necessitate a call to the manager (because they have a zero-tolerance policy for shoplifting) and they'd probably need to consult with others to figure out what to do.

I personally would never buy gum that looked like someone with only two teeth had gnawed on the package, regardless of whether the foil was keeping it safe. I'm quite certain that if your baby squeezes and mouths a pack of gum, the store is not going to sell it!

Old 10-03-2017, 07:57 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,877,211 times
Quote:
What does speeding have to do with stealing? They're not in any way comparable.
You're right. Speeding's worse than keeping a pack of gum or something equally small and cheap, that your tiny kid snagged, unbeknownst to you, while he was bored to death sitting in the cart at Shop Rite. Speeding can cause death or injury. I'm sure no one here has sped, even 2 mph above the limit, right everyone?

Old 10-03-2017, 08:03 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,676,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No it doesn't.

Regardless of intent you return it or pay for it. End of story.
At this point, it seems we've beaten this dog to death.

I can't tell if you're purposely acting like you're misunderstanding what I'm writing to pick a fight, or if we truly aren't communicating.

In no case should you keep the goods. Only with an older child than 2 should you involve them in the return.

I'm done.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,912,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're right. Speeding's worse than keeping a pack of gum or something equally small and cheap, that your tiny kid snagged, unbeknownst to you, while he was bored to death sitting in the cart at Shop Rite. Speeding can cause death or injury. I'm sure no one here has sped, even 2 mph above the limit, right everyone?
Speeding 2 miles over the speed limit is not going to cause death/injury.

Stealing a $2 item however, is going to cause the store to lose $2. And maybe you don't think that $2 matters, but what if everyone decided that it was okay to steal $2 every time they went to the store... that adds up quickly!

Old 10-03-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Right, that's my point. You're costing the store money by standing there interacting with their employee. As for it not taking 10 minutes... have you ever been to the customer service department at a store like Walmart? I imagine this would necessitate a call to the manager (because they have a zero-tolerance policy for shoplifting) and they'd probably need to consult with others to figure out what to do.
You're really over thinking this. All you need to do is go up to an employee, any employee, and hand the item to them as you say "This was accidentally with my stuff. " That would take maybe 5 seconds. There is no reason to stand in long lines, involve managers, loss prevention, etc. You just hand it to an employee and move on with life, it doesn't need to be a big production.

And before you claim it's impossible to find a store employee in Walmart, there are probably at least 3 cashiers at the front of the store. Walk up to one, any one, and hand them the item. Since it's only a 5 second interaction, you wouldn't even be holding up any customers waiting in line.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:26 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,679,910 times
Quote:
You're really over thinking this. All you need to do is go up to an employee, any employee, and hand the item to them as you say "This was accidentally with my stuff. " That would take maybe 5 seconds. There is no reason to stand in long lines, involve managers, loss prevention, etc. You just hand it to an employee and move on with life, it doesn't need to be a big production.

And before you claim it's impossible to find a store employee in Walmart, there are probably at least 3 cashiers at the front of the store. Walk up to one, any one, and hand them the item. Since it's only a 5 second interaction, you wouldn't even be holding up any customers waiting in line.
How is that going to teach the child the lesson not to steal? You'd be just adding a lie that it was accidentally with your stuff. I thought the point was to "raise your kids right" and hold them accountable.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:35 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,810,577 times
Quote:
Speeding 2 miles over the speed limit is not going to cause death/injury.

Stealing a $2 item however, is going to cause the store to lose $2. And maybe you don't think that $2 matters, but what if everyone decided that it was okay to steal $2 every time they went to the store... that adds up quickly!
Actually with margins and loss its more like 2 cents.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Actually with margins and loss its more like 2 cents.
No, it's $2. If the store is selling the item for $2, you are stealing $2 worth of merchandise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting