Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:11 PM

461 posts, read 509,103 times

Advertisements

My daughter is a single parent and the baby daddy is not involved. She and her baby live with my husband and I while she saves to get out. We have both started new jobs and can't take time off. Her baby gets sick easily and was sick last week where we each had to miss a day of work. Now he has hand, foot, mouth disease and has to take the rest of the week off of daycare. We can't possibly miss that many days. What do other people do when their kids are sick and no relatives to help? How can we find someone to watch him when he is sick? I realize that is not easy for them but what can we do? If daughter loses her job she will never be able to get out on her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:27 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Can your daughter get a job in the evenings and leave the baby with you while she's at work? Or can she hire a private babysitter? Daycares are full of germs and the babies get sick frequently (and share the germs and continue the cycle). I remember how hard it was to juggle a sick baby when my husband and I both worked... it's a tough situation.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
First of all you need to plan ahead and make arrangements for sick child care well before the child is sick. Can your husband take off of work? Can the baby's father or paternal grandparents be involved for emergencies such as this? What about a good friend or a neighbor or a member of your church?

Hubby and I did not have any relatives in town so we used a variety of caregivers and sick child care when our children were sick and neither of us could take off of work.

I will list who we used, perhaps one of these people/places would work for you. BTW, most of these people/places were people/agencies that we only used once or twice during the decade or so that one of our children were too young to stay home by themselves when sick (as usually my husband or I were able to call in sick to our jobs).

A retired couple who lived in the neighborhood.
A neighbor who was a SAHM.
A neighbor who worked in the evenings (so could babysit during the day).
A good friend who was currently between jobs.
Our former teenage babysitter who was then a college student with a flexible schedule.
Our former fulltime childcare provider who was now a SAHM.

The following were extremely expensive, but sometimes "you need to do, what you need to do".
A nanny from an "emergency nanny" agency.
A sick child daycare facility staffed by a nurse and nurse's aides.
A sick child daycare center in a hospital (usually used by staff but open to the public, too).

Good luck.

What about out-of-town relatives or friends? One of my co-workers used to drive her sick child almost an hour to the grandparent's house when they were sick. She had to leave at 5:30 or 6 AM to get to work by 8 AM but it worked for her. Another co-worker had a relative who would drive 90 minutes to her house to babysit in an emergency. In a real emergency people may be very willing to help your daughter even if it is an inconvenience to them.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-09-2017 at 08:49 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
op, i would try to find a baby sitter that comes to your house. Day-cares are not going to take the baby when it's sick.
You can try to look here

https://nextdoor.com/

This is a neighborhood app or website . You create a free account and you can sell things,advertise, discuss topics....you name it. And it's only for the neighborhood you live in so it's all local. I see college students often posting that they are looking for baby sitting jobs.
You have to register your address and that might take a couple of days. They want to verify you actual live where you say you are. But it's not shared to anybody.

I live in Chicago and I use it often.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:49 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
We have begged and borrowed friends and relatives. I've said several times someone should start a business that caters to sick kids so parents can go to work. I'd try care.com or nextdoor to see if there's anyone willing to take that on.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
I have no family closer than 1000 miles away. Also , non of our friends are able to babysit since they all work Monday to Friday. It's very hard for parents.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:48 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
There are sick child daycares, but not many. Usually these are in hospitals.

http://www.rainbowstation.org/get-well-place/

Quote:
Rainbow Station is now a franchise with nine facilities in Virginia, North Carolina, and Texas. The Get Well Place is staffed by a pediatric nurse, who dispenses medication and calls parents with updates during the day. Kids are cared for in separate rooms according to illness (respiratory ailments, such as flu; gastrointestinal illnesses; highly contagious diseases, such as pinkeye and strep throat; plus a room for kids recuperating from surgery). Each is equipped with a reverse ventilation system so no one has to worry that a child with, say, a broken leg, will catch the flu. Fees can range from $5 to $10 an hour depending on location.
https://esme.com/resources/content/c...y-care-centers

Quote:
Where to find sick-child centers

You can call your local hospital to ask if it sponsors a sick-child center or knows of any locally. Some day-care centers offer sick-child care.

Child Care Aware offers referral agencies and lists of local resources, and has a referral hotline.
You can call 1-800-424-2246 to inquire about sick and backup centers.

Rainbow Station is a comprehensive child-care facility that provides care for mildly and chronically ill children. It has several locations in Virginia.

Under the Weather is a sick-child-care company that provides in-home and child-care center services in Minnesota.

If you live in the Birmingham, Alabama, area, contact Huggs & Kisses Sick Child Care at 205-324-8447.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
We have begged and borrowed friends and relatives. I've said several times someone should start a business that caters to sick kids so parents can go to work. I'd try care.com or nextdoor to see if there's anyone willing to take that on.
Over the years our city has had several agencies that focused on providing child care for sick children or providing emergency short term child care. To my knowledge they all went out of business, presumably because they did not have enough customers.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:29 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Such a shame that in the USA, workers are not granted sick time to care for ill children.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:20 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Such a shame that in the USA, workers are not granted sick time to care for ill children.
That completely depends on who you work for. I've got no say in the actual question since my wife and I don't have to worry about finding care last minute, but we both have sick leave and plenty of it if either of us, or our kiddo, get sick.

OP - that said, we've got a care.com account for backup sitters if we needed one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting