Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:39 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

So, I read this in the local paper's online site:

Olivia Wilde receives backlash for smooching her kid on the lips - Houston Chronicle

I just have to say 'Wow'! Is this really how people think? I guess I don't pay attention to the world because both my wife and I kiss our children on the lips. Never in our lives did we even think twice about it, it's been happening since the day they took their first breath. 14, 12, 10 and 8 years old, and the 12 year old is a boy, in case that matters to some.

Political Correctness run amok. We just love our children, that is as simple as I can say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 09:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

Olivia Wilde receives backlash for smooching her kid on the lips - Houston Chronicle

I just have to say 'Wow'! Is this really how people think? I guess I don't pay attention to the world because both my wife and I kiss our children on the lips. Never in our lives did we even think twice about it, it's been happening since the day they took their first breath. 14, 12, 10 and 8 years old, and the 12 year old is a boy, in case that matters to some.

Political Correctness run amok. We just love our children, that is as simple as I can say it.
If you really want to have fun, you should post this in the Parenting subforum. Unless you MEANT to post it in Romantic Relationship :

//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...kiss-baby.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...your-kids.html

Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
This belongs in parenting.

Maybe it's a regional and cultural thing? I grew up kissing my parents and maternal grandmother on the lips. It's also what I've done with my kids since birth until it no longer interested them. Our almost three year old gives kisses. She's super affectionate.

But it's not really a "PC" thing because there are plenty older generations that aren't fond of it. My in-laws didn't kiss their kids on the lips. So it really comes down to family dynamics, background and culture.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Hmmm, yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

Maybe it's a regional and cultural thing? I grew up kissing my parents and maternal grandmother on the lips. It's also what I've done with my kids since birth until it no longer interested them. Our almost three year old gives kisses. She's super affectionate.

But it's not really a "PC" thing because there are plenty older generations that aren't fond of it. My in-laws didn't kiss their kids on the lips. So it really comes down to family dynamics, background and culture.
You are probably right... I am Mexican/American, and my wife is Norwegian/Spanish, and we all do it, although with family members, it's two kisses. I guess I've always grown up like this, I've never thought anything of it. When we visit family in Argentina, Spain, Mexico, and Norway, always kisses.

BTW, I apologize, it was in the wrong forum originally. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:48 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I let my kids choose...when they were little, there was a elaborate kiss routine. Butterfly kiss, Eskimo kiss, kiss on the forehead, kiss on the lips. Over the years it's tapered off to just a hug. They won't hug extended family, other than their grandmothers. Even their baby cousin gets a fist bump rather than a hug or kiss.

I think as long as your kids are comfortable with the kiss on the lips, it's fine. If they outgrow it, you'll have to let it go too.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:57 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

Actually, your disagreement with people's freedom of speech to express their opinion on lip-kissing is Political Correctness run amok.

Basically you want us all to keep our opinions about lip-kissing to ourselves if they upset you or this elite actress.

She posted something to a public forum, some responses were positive, some were negative. A few mean facebook posts are hardly oppression. You seem to want to eliminate the negative responses because they don't agree with your personal belief system. You are coming out strongly in favor of PC censorship.

For the act in question: I don't intend to have anything to do with bathing my 12-year-olds, nor are they going to be allowed to walk in on my shower or bath. That's pretty weird, but I recognize that some families have different boundaries than we, especially those whackadoo hollywood-types.

Kissing on the lips is kind of gross and has a slightly higher chance of communicating disease, but since you are living in close proximity to your children anyway, it's probably a wash.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
I am 57 years old and kiss my Mother and Brother as well as my children on the lips, always have, always will.
I do not care what others think about anything pertaining to me so there is not an issue there.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:15 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

My parents and grandparents were the same - a quick peck on the mouth - it was mostly when we were little. As we got older, behaviors change and that is typical for many kids as they get more independent. But it is silly to make such a big deal out of something that is just a custom.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 PM

173 posts, read 134,762 times
I really don't think it is appropriate especially with older children. My 15 year old is over 6 foot. It would not feel right.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:05 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
Everyone is free to say what ever they want.

I'm free to ignore you, not give a **** and or think you're an idiot for your up tight views you feel so strongly about

That's the thing about folks today. High on strongly held opinions and low on critical thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting