Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 06:51 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

I feel bad for the little boy whose parents don't seem to want to help him socialize and be part of things.

But you have to put your foot down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 07:44 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
It's completely normal for elementary to middle school kids to play only with children of the same sex. You're right to support her in moving into activities and socializing with other girls at this age.

It would be kind of you to gently explain to whichever of the parents you think would be more receptive, that daughter is moving into that girl stage, and that their son needs to get involved with boy activities, and socialize with other boys. From what you're describing, it sounds as if the parents are socially awkward, but might understand if it were gently explained to them.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:56 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Make it obvious you are ignoring their requests. At least that way you can remain neighborly regarding other things. Of course, this will depend on their getting the hint.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:32 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I feel bad for the little boy whose parents don't seem to want to help him socialize and be part of things.

But you have to put your foot down.
I feel badly for him too, but his parents feel it's easier to just keep using us as the fallback. We feel guilty when we turn down requests and now my daughter feels guilty too. But people often outgrow friendships after a time, even adults do. I may suggest some activities for their son and see what they say.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
I'd ghost the ever-loving flock out of them. I don't raise other people's kids or Band-Aid their social problems. I've got enough to deal with my twins, thanks.

No returning calls, no answering texts or emails. If they showed up on my doorstep I'd tell them "Sorry, my daughter is busy and doesn't want to hang out with little Jimmy anymore."

Your daughter needs to know that it's okay to stay away from people she doesn't want to be around or who are bad for her. She shouldn't feel pressured or guilted into doing something just to keep from hurting another person's feelings. Nor does she need to have a savior complex where she wastes her life trying to rescue somebody in a downward spiral.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:17 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
She played with him steadily for a few years, but now she has other friends and doesn't want to spend all her free time with him.
So it's not a case of she doesn't want to spend any time with him? More that you don't like how they spend their time when they are together? Can you not arrange for them to do other activities while still maintaining their friendship to some extent? Offer to occasionally take both kids to the park, the lake, free day at the zoo or museum or whatever sorts of activities are available in your area, play some board games with them or haul them into the kitchen to help make cookies.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:42 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I'd ghost the ever-loving flock out of them. I don't raise other people's kids or Band-Aid their social problems. I've got enough to deal with my twins, thanks.

No returning calls, no answering texts or emails. If they showed up on my doorstep I'd tell them "Sorry, my daughter is busy and doesn't want to hang out with little Jimmy anymore."

Your daughter needs to know that it's okay to stay away from people she doesn't want to be around or who are bad for her. She shouldn't feel pressured or guilted into doing something just to keep from hurting another person's feelings. Nor does she need to have a savior complex where she wastes her life trying to rescue somebody in a downward spiral.
Same.

It took me a minute to realize my 10 yr son may be the type to collect homeless puppy type kids. He already had a very great social circle of 8 families who we socialized with every weekend and all week at sports etc.

But random kids would pop up as school progressed.

Once I found a new "friend" asleep in my mother's car in the garage at 6 am when he was supposed to go HOME the night before when he left with the other group of kids getting picked up. Apparently the parents were not even out there or he chose to not go with the other kids for a ride home and he was sorta faking it. Or my SON had that brilliant idea!

Thereafter, my mother and I learned to walk every kid out to the parent's car.

I have so many stories it's not funny.

For a GIRL, as you point out, it's particularly critical for her to do all the stuff you said and also learn how to do it HERSELF eventually - not rely on mom.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:33 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So it's not a case of she doesn't want to spend any time with him? More that you don't like how they spend their time when they are together? Can you not arrange for them to do other activities while still maintaining their friendship to some extent? Offer to occasionally take both kids to the park, the lake, free day at the zoo or museum or whatever sorts of activities are available in your area, play some board games with them or haul them into the kitchen to help make cookies.
We've done that for several years. However, I'm really not interested in fostering the friendship anymore. She doesn't want to spend all her time with him.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I think the most tactful way is to use the video game explanation. It makes it not all about him and about what's best for your daughter, without being mean.

Might be a heads up for the parents, too, that perhaps it's not good for HIM to be spending all his time video gaming.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
How do you deal with a child who isn't a great influence on yours? Our neighbors keep pushing their son on our daughter's time. I finally put my foot down and said they can only play together on weekends, not school nights. This boy has no other friends and keeps trying to dominate my daughter's time. She played with him steadily for a few years, but now she has other friends and doesn't want to spend all her free time with him. His parents call or text every day wanting to know if they can play together. Every time it sounds like a begging tone of voice. They don't enroll their son in any activities and he only plays video games. Our daughter was addicted to these same video games and we had to work hard to get her out of the addiction, because she was gaming with this boy, to the exclusion of doing anything else. Recently, I was feeling grateful that she actually said she doesn't want to spend much time with him anymore and she has gotten interested in a few extracurricular activities. But his parents still contact us all the time begging and then wanting to know what her schedule is as far as her extracurricular activities. That part angers me because I really don't think they need to know her schedule. I told them she can only play occasionally with him. I feel badly for their son but his parents aren't helping him. And my fear is that he'll get my daughter back into gaming again and she might lose interest in her activities.
Okay so I just had to get that off my chest.
Why don't you just put your foot down and tell them what you've told us?Say to them that they should get him involved in other activities and that your daughter is not going to be able to hang out with their son anymore due to her busy schedule that you have created for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting