Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 02:08 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
There are a ton of twins being born. True, more than twins less common. I think people are terribly selfish that do not adopt. It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. There are ways around that. People that tend to adopt had parents that were absent or not great and they know the importance of loving a child that doesn't have love; instead of just bringing in another one that looks like you. If they adopted they would know for certain one is coming home not two or three. And less help needed.

Not so fast, Thee OP does not believe in adoption. Only if both parents are dead, and their are no living relatives to care for the children.

And there really not "a ton of twins" being born out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 02:41 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My coworker was the sweetest kindest woman you ever met. I don't know what you are talking about, with "lose" their infant, this was a Catholic adoption agency and no babies were taken from anyone, they were almost all babies had my young unwed mothers who chose to have her baby and offer it to loving parents rather than abort it.

You really need some empathy lessons if such a thing is possible. I find your attitude sick and twisted.
There's nothing wrong with being an unwed mother, happens to divorced women, too. What's wrong is exploiting them for their babies, inferring they cannot be loving when it's proven over and over again, they can, with support. Apparently, this co-worker was misled, and it may not be entirely her fault since it was a Catholic Agency. (Oops, Mary was the first unwed mother.) Of these two situations, empathy is deserving of both, but the victim with the medical condition (sweet, kind lady) has no right to resolve it, at the expense of another family. Nothing personal, facts are facts.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Not so fast, Thee OP does not believe in adoption. Only if both parents are dead, and their are no living relatives to care for the children.

And there really not "a ton of twins" being born out there.
OP's posts suggest otherwise. Instead, they are pro-ethical adoption. If we go back, and read them, it's pretty evident.

Last edited by Middletwin; 10-17-2017 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Plural

Old 10-17-2017, 03:30 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
OP's posts suggest otherwise. Instead, they are pro-ethical adoption. If we go back, and read them, it's pretty evident.
So, trying to understand yours and the OP's position. You don't want adoptive parents that have a yearning to be parents, correct? Because you don't think it should be about their inner feelings and love for children.

What do you want for adoptive parents? Adults that dislike children??

Please correct if I'm wrong. Please don't just say "fail".

Old 10-17-2017, 03:31 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:

Your narrow definition of "ethical" includes only open adoption and kinship adoptions.

It appears that you do not believe that some teenagers do not feel ready to parent, and some people are not able to parent. Or do a terrible job of it.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My coworker was the sweetest kindest woman you ever met. I don't know what you are talking about, with "lose" their infant, this was a Catholic adoption agency and no babies were taken from anyone, they were almost all babies had my young unwed mothers who chose to have her baby and offer it to loving parents rather than abort it.
Many young women are still coerced and pressured to give up their babies for adoption, especially if they are white/Caucasian. You can read some of their stories online as there are many blogs and forums where this is discussed. It can be difficult for a teenaged girl to stand up to that kind of coercion and pressure, especially if she has no financial support for keeping her baby and no one else to turn to. Of course, the story is that she voluntarily gave up her baby and that's what people choose to believe.

And no, this isn't every scenario out there, but it still goes on. To me, that would not really be an ethical adoption situation.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:51 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Getting away from the "adoption issue", many parents who experience a large multiple birth either as a result of fertility treatments, or otherwise, are ethically opposed to "selective reduction" that involves destroying one or more of the fetuses.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So, trying to understand yours and the OP's position. You don't want adoptive parents that have a yearning to be parents, correct? Because you don't think it should be about their inner feelings and love for children.

What do you want for adoptive parents? Adults that dislike children??

Please correct if I'm wrong. Please don't just say "fail".
Thank you for trying. Prior to adoption agencies with their powerful lobbying, it was understood that adopting was for children needing a home, and not about whether or not someone wants a child because they're not conceiving. When it becomes the latter, the system is flawed, resulting in children not having a home. Relative to inner feelings and love, those attributes are assumed until proven otherwise for any parent. This thread is about entitled IVF couples needing care for their litter (special needs children usually). Anyone can say no.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:49 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The obvious solution to this raging epidemic is adoption, so that the infertile women will get the babies they covet and the IVF abusers will be limited to no more than two kids and won't need platoons of around-the-clock caregivers. Of course, then we'll have the epidemic of traumatized adoptees yearning for their "real" parents and their 8 or 9 "real" siblings.

Geez, fixing society's ills is HARD!!

and don't forget about the adoptive "parents"...

Old 10-17-2017, 10:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Thank you for trying. Prior to adoption agencies with their powerful lobbying, it was understood that adopting was for children needing a home, and not about whether or not someone wants a child because they're not conceiving. When it becomes the latter, the system is flawed, resulting in children not having a home. .
I do think adoption should be first and foremost about the needs of children, not the needs of adults who want to have children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting