Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:30 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times

Advertisements

Yes chewing gum is an atrocious behavior!! (Not).

Op- take parenting classes...Your kids deserve a positive enforcer...
Saying what they can do...Creates growth...Denying them limits the options to resolve .

This scenario glares of 'control'. And not the healthy kind.
Keep your wits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 07:37 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,057,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I remember ages 13 and 19 as being the two hardest years of parenting. Chill and do your best. You are experiencing normal growth. Good luck and God bless you.
Read an article one time when moms were complaining about the ages of their children. . . it went something like this:

- Terrible Twos are the worse!
- If you think that's bad, wait until they're a teenager!
- Teens are easy - wait until they're 30!!
- Just wait until they're 50, then you'll wish they were two again!!!

Old 10-18-2017, 07:46 AM

25,960 posts, read 22,132,993 times
My as close to perfect son as most could get was a nightmare at age 13. I thought he had become possessed, or maybe replaced by some alien from another planet.

I called the school and talked with the guidance counselor who helped work through it. She understood 13 year olds much better than I did.

While the gum incident seems minor, saying "No." to the request of the mother is not minor.

For discipline, I removed everything from my son's room, no electronics, no posters, no anything but his bed, bedding, dresser, nightstand and clock radio and he got it back when he was able to do "the right thing". Even today almost 3 decades later when he says he doesn't know what to do, I say "Yes, you do." and he says "The right thing."

I believe 13 may well be the turning point where you either hang onto to your children and your place in the household as the one that makes the rules or you lose it.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:57 AM

1,257 posts, read 889,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
While the gum incident seems minor, saying "No." to the request of the mother is not minor.
Yes. I don't think I've ever, even to this day at age 42, told my parents "no" when they asked or told me to do something. My children never did. I would take that little word as an indication that things are very wrong between parent and child.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:58 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Actually what she means by healthy, well-balanced human is one who is only 13 years old and runs the household, does what he wants when he wants because he knows there's no consequences, can be as verbally and physically abusive to his parents and any other adult as he feels like it, and thumbs his nose at anyone who tells him what to do.

That kind of child had parents who did the following:

asked their children nicely to quit running in stores, quit yelling in libraries, quit screaming in public. Sometimes they even threw a please in all that begging. And they ask and they ask and they ask and the kids just keep on doing the same thing over and over and over and annoying everyone else.

or who asked or told their children to do something not once, not twice, not three times, not four times, but sometimes five and six times before they make the child do what they were told to do, at which point the parent is screaming and yelling along with the kid.

Quite frankly, if you're a parent and you don't mind your kid not minding you when you say something, feel free. But the parents who act like parents and the parents that back themselves up are the ones who have the well behaved children and make the rest of you whiny parents look like idiots. Plus, your kids are the ones that get children banned from restaurants and public places because you're the parents that don't make them behave.

I know plenty of parents whose children claimed they were going to call CPS on their own parents and the best way I've heard from a parent to handle that is to pick up the phone and tell the kid, hey, no problem, I'll dial the number for you.

So thank you, HFB, for completely missing the point of my comment about detention centers.
You are thinking in black and white terms. Either a parent is super permissive or they are authoritarian (like your post suggests). I am neither, I have very well behaved kids (which I am told very often).

Old 10-18-2017, 12:02 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Yes. I don't think I've ever, even to this day at age 42, told my parents "no" when they asked or told me to do something. My children never did. I would take that little word as an indication that things are very wrong between parent and child.
I think exactly the opposite. If a child never challenges a parent then there is something wrong with the dynamic there. If the child never pushes for autonomy and steps on some toes...there is controlling going on, not parenting.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:04 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
There are bigger issues than gum....

Old 10-18-2017, 12:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Oh please! Find me a two year old who never said no. No is their favorite word.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Yes chewing gum is an atrocious behavior!! (Not).

Op- take parenting classes...Your kids deserve a positive enforcer...
Saying what they can do...Creates growth...Denying them limits the options to resolve .

This scenario glares of 'control'. And not the healthy kind.
Keep your wits.
The kid is out of control. No parenting classes needed. A swift kick to the but is in order though.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:43 PM

1,257 posts, read 889,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Oh please! Find me a two year old who never said no. No is their favorite word.
At two you don't know what you're doing. At 13 you know exactly what you're doing.

If your (in general) kids treat you like crap, have no respect, and you think it's okay, I see that as a big part of the reason that teachers can't control their classrooms, and prisons are overcrowded. Mom's make excuses for their children while teaching them to blame other people.

I didn't raise my kids for myself. I raised them to be respectful and obedient in my home so they would be respectful, law abiding and productive members out in society.

You don't have to agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting