Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 03:01 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times

Advertisements

Something reminded me of this and wonder if other kids get cravings for weird things.

When my little sister was around 4 I caught her at least 3 times eating our cats canned food, only went after the liver flavor. Would get a spoon from the drawer and go at it. We were not starving kids by any means. Mom decided maybe she is craving liver because she is low on iron. She started fixing liver and onions every couple of weeks for her and she never touched the cat food again. So did she need more iron or just really liked liver. I'll have to ask her if she still likes liver and onion. I would not be hungry for for dinner on those nights, the smell make me gag.

Do you think kids by instinct get cravings for something their bodies need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 03:20 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Ewwwwwwww

My kids crave things their bodies don't need extra of like sugar and salt

Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 PM

407 posts, read 370,117 times
A friend of my son likes to dip saltine crackers in ranch dressing. Every time he comes over, he asks for that.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:39 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Something reminded me of this and wonder if other kids get cravings for weird things.

When my little sister was around 4 I caught her at least 3 times eating our cats canned food, only went after the liver flavor. Would get a spoon from the drawer and go at it. We were not starving kids by any means. Mom decided maybe she is craving liver because she is low on iron. She started fixing liver and onions every couple of weeks for her and she never touched the cat food again. So did she need more iron or just really liked liver. I'll have to ask her if she still likes liver and onion. I would not be hungry for for dinner on those nights, the smell make me gag.

Do you think kids by instinct get cravings for something their bodies need?
Whoa. And I thought my daughter dipping broccoli and carrots in ketchup when she was a kid was weird lol

Old 10-18-2017, 04:11 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
My opinion? Some kids eat their own boogers. Just be happy they're not doing that.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:59 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
Yeah, yuk. Mom and I would catch her eating it and take away her spoon and scold her. She was asked why she did this. She would laugh and shrug her shoulders and say I don't know. She was a strange and funny kid.... She was completely normal otherwise.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:50 AM

797 posts, read 238,555 times
Could be craving related or simply the result of appeal.

My oldest daughter loved butter by the spoon-full. I had to be careful and keep butter up high in fridge, and my oldest son loved ketchup and mayonnaise sandwiches. Both were really young at the time and quickly grew out of their strange cravings.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,881 times
Mine craves peas, will literally eat an entire bag of peas either cooked or still frozen.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:27 AM

797 posts, read 238,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Mine craves peas, will literally eat an entire bag of peas either cooked or still frozen.
LOL about peas! I was getting my second oldest son ready for bed one evening, and when I pulled his rubber pants down to change his diapers, a mess of peas came rolling out of his rubber pants, that is the ones that weren't squashed and stuck to the inside of the pants.

Said kid had stuffed the peas down the front of his diapers in his highchair, unbeknownst to myself.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:32 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post

My oldest daughter loved butter by the spoon-full. I had to be careful and keep butter up high in fridge, and my oldest son loved ketchup and mayonnaise sandwiches. Both were really young at the time and quickly grew out of their strange cravings.
My daughter takes a heaping spoonful and places it on the plate NEXT TO the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She does this every single time she makes a sandwich. It's like a side dish lol...when I was a kid, I ate ketchup sandwiches and sometimes did one side mayo and one side ketchup. I'm glad it's not just me!!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting