Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
No idea if it is wise or not - I just know it is something I would never and could never bring myself to do.

Rather I see my role as a parent to equip my child with the skills - self confidence - diversity of knowledge and experience - and so forth to make such decisions for themselves.
yep.

Teach her to think critically.

Teach her to thing logically.

Instill compassion.

Instill a love of reading. If you can read you can do.

Spend time outside being active.

Build her character.

Those are *forever* skills that apply to everything she will ever do. Career interests change over time. Some times you need to make more money. Sometimes your time is more valuable. Sometimes the market says you need XYZ skill and you have to learn it.

Careers are fickle. Self confidence, love of learning, exercise, compassion? Goes well with any career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 10:19 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I didn't read all 9 or 10 pages here...

But OP, I don't think there's anything wrong with your approach per se. I DO think lots can change between 8 yrs. old and 18 yrs. old, but I think it's neat if you have the resources to allow her to explore her options.

You've got her in gymnastics, and that's great. But also know as her body changes as she gets older, gymnastics might not be a viable career path. But hey, it's still a healthy thing, and maybe she can be a cheer leader later, and turn THAT into a career path, or a scholarship...etc.

Fashion designer? I'd get her paper and colored pencils, gel pens, water colors, etc. and I'd also buy her pieces of fabric and encourage her to sew doll clothes. See if she has a knack for it, and if she does, maybe buy her a cheap sewing machine. I used to have a friend who made custom Barbie Doll clothes. Beautiful stuff. Not sure she got rich from it, but her stuff was in demand.

If she's interested in acting, maybe there's a community theater group that she could get involved with. Maybe she'll love it. My brother was involved with a local community acting group. He was good. He didn't make it a career path, but he made friends and had fun.

I really don't see a problem with the idea at all. Parents sign kids up for tball, basketball, soccer etc. What's the difference in this parent wanting to sign the daughter up and encouraging her to find her passion, and allowing her to explore different options?

Old 12-07-2017, 03:31 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
What's the difference in this parent wanting to sign the daughter up and encouraging her to find her passion, and allowing her to explore different options?
The difference is intent. Its one thing to encourage your child to pursue their interests; it’s quite another to thry to “figure out” the “passions” of an 8 year old so you can “focus” those “passions” toward some profitable end.

An eight year old cannot decipher intent but a 16 year old that’s been having their “passions” “focused” for the last eight years can and in most all cases will rebel fantastically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting