Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 05:10 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,157 times

Advertisements

Is it wise to try and push your child towards a career path as early as 8? It seems people who are successful knew exactly what they wanted to do when they were young.

I'd like to help my daughter figure out a career path now. I've asked her to name 5 jobs/careers she'd like to have. Here's what she chose:

1. Gymanst
2. Actress
3. DJ-Radio Personality
4. Fashion Designer
5. Tennis Player

With this info I plan on focusing completely on these 5 with classes, events, playing with her, camps, etc. Do you recommend focusing her on these 5 or exposing her to other possibilities as well? I don't want to mess with her focus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 05:15 PM

581 posts, read 455,982 times
I recommend letting a kid be a kid. She can choose a career path when she's in college.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:34 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
It is never wise to push a child to determine their future. The push, if it's meant to be, should come from her. Yes, let her be a child, exposed to limitless possibilities.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Let her choose activities that are fun to her, and let her do those activities for fun, not looking toward a career path yet.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:21 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Your daughter isn't trying to pick a career. Your daughter is trying to become famous.

I think that while it's always been normal for kids to want to be a celebrity -- movie star, sports hero, astronaut, or whatever -- I always get the feeling that nowadays kids don't want to be famous for doing anything significant, but just for the sake of being famous. All the reality show are full of absolute nobodies, losers and misfits and the next day everybody the kid knows, including his family, is talking about them. Not because they're famous for actually doing anything important, but because they're boorish, untalented, and obnoxious in front of millions of people and can parlay it into a fortune. It's why I hate reality shows with a passion. Most of them set the horrible example for kids that being famous is a desirable end in itself.

But to answer your question: don't limit your daughter to those five things. That way she'll have a chance to discover other stuff she's good at and that she enjoys when it dawns on her that she may not be the next Venus Williams or Simone Biles or Dona Karan. Remember that for every successful celebrity who says "I knew I wanted to do this since I was 5 years old!" there are many many successful people in all walks of life who didn't hit their stride until their 40s, 50s, or even later.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Is this a joke?

No...back off. Many people don't pick until college or later. Back off.

What? Really? Your kid isn't likely special enough to have any of those jobs. And if she chooses to, it will be about her drive.

Or do you want a Tiger or a Britney?

Old 11-08-2017, 07:03 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Those sound like fantasy careers. They might work out, might not.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:23 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Is it wise to try and push your child towards a career path as early as 8? It seems people who are successful knew exactly what they wanted to do when they were young.

I'd like to help my daughter figure out a career path now. I've asked her to name 5 jobs/careers she'd like to have. Here's what she chose:

1. Gymanst
2. Actress
3. DJ-Radio Personality
4. Fashion Designer
5. Tennis Player
<>
Fine. Just don't try to teach her spelling.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:47 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
<>
1. Gymanst
2. Actress
3. DJ-Radio Personality
4. Fashion Designer
5. Tennis Player
<>
To give a more serious and helpful answer, kids do not need to be pushed into a career unless the have the skills of a budding Mozart.
All of the areas you mention can be developed as hobbies. We bought a grand-daughter a narrow mat that lays on the floor that is the size of a gymnastic balance beam. She pranced around on it for a week and it has not been seen since. She does love to dance and sing to music on the TV and play pretend with her friends.
A tennis racket and some balls can be found at a sporting goods recycle store to see if your daughter is up for it.
Good luck.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,157 times
I'm not saying I'm going to push her and force her to do something. What I'm saying is, if she has a particular passion, I'd like to help her focus on it from a young age. That's it.

My goal is to find a few things she's interested in and keep her involved in those areas on a consistent basis, rather than having her try various different activities.

Relax people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting