Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:22 PM

33 posts, read 45,724 times

Advertisements

Just was curious what the general consensus was. I don't have any kids but if I did it would depend on the age obviously. I doubt if say they were in their teens I'd have an issue with them playing something like Grand Theft Auto, Doom, etc.

I have always found it funny though how so many parents will let even much younger kids play very violent games but if there's any sex/nudity in it then that's a problem. I never understood why seeing a naked woman should be considered some horrible thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 07:03 PM

926 posts, read 673,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
Just was curious what the general consensus was. I don't have any kids but if I did it would depend on the age obviously. I doubt if say they were in their teens I'd have an issue with them playing something like Grand Theft Auto, Doom, etc.

I have always found it funny though how so many parents will let even much younger kids play very violent games but if there's any sex/nudity in it then that's a problem. I never understood why seeing a naked woman should be considered some horrible thing.
It's a 'horrible thing' Aeana because little kids shouldn't have to be subjected to seeing images of naked people while playing a console/pc game! I mean, seriously?! Violent race car/sports/shooter games don't make as much of an adversely emotional or mental impact to kids as them viewing (and sometimes directly interacting with) sexually suggestive and explicit content. This is just MY personal opinion. I know myself and have known other kids that I grew up with who have played some seriously freakin' violent and graphic console and pc games (I mostly played games like mortal kombat, half life, world at war, call of duty & battlefield) and none of us ever acted out those violent actions IRL.

To me, the danger with allowing little kids to play console/pc games that are sexual in nature, is that with prolonged exposure to that, they're gonna eventually want to act out IRL whatever they're seeing and virtually experiencing in the game, which is no good (I realize some kids can act out stuff without playing console/pc games). I'm talking about really young kids playing these types of games, like around 4-12 years old.

There is enough sexual harassment and abuse going on without having people exposing their kids to sexually suggestive content/nudity in console/pc games that more than likely will produce attitudes and behaviours that will not bode well for the next generation.

If I was forced to choose which type of console/pc game to give to a kid to play and I could ONLY choose either a violent video game or a sexually suggestive/explicit video game for them to play? Um, I would pick the violent video game. Every. single. time.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:26 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
I don't like gratuitous sex OR violence being used to peddle video games. The ratings guidelines are in place for a reason, and we used them to approve purchases. Our kids were well into high school before they played Grand Theft Auto. Fortunately, none of them were ever really into video games. They played for a while, then moved on.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:40 PM

33 posts, read 45,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
It's a 'horrible thing' Aeana because little kids shouldn't have to be subjected to seeing images of naked people while playing a console/pc game! I mean, seriously?! Violent race car/sports/shooter games don't make as much of an adversely emotional or mental impact to kids as them viewing (and sometimes directly interacting with) sexually suggestive and explicit content. This is just MY personal opinion. I know myself and have known other kids that I grew up with who have played some seriously freakin' violent and graphic console and pc games (I mostly played games like mortal kombat, half life, world at war, call of duty & battlefield) and none of us ever acted out those violent actions IRL.

To me, the danger with allowing little kids to play console/pc games that are sexual in nature, is that with prolonged exposure to that, they're gonna eventually want to act out IRL whatever they're seeing and virtually experiencing in the game, which is no good (I realize some kids can act out stuff without playing console/pc games). I'm talking about really young kids playing these types of games, like around 4-12 years old.

There is enough sexual harassment and abuse going on without having people exposing their kids to sexually suggestive content/nudity in console/pc games that more than likely will produce attitudes and behaviours that will not bode well for the next generation.

If I was forced to choose which type of console/pc game to give to a kid to play and I could ONLY choose either a violent video game or a sexually suggestive/explicit video game for them to play? Um, I would pick the violent video game. Every. single. time.
That's funny considering in Europe for example, it's the exact opposite, kids and teens see lots of naked people both in media and real life and it's viewed as no big deal, yet any kind of violence is viewed as real bad.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
That's funny considering in Europe for example, it's the exact opposite, kids and teens see lots of naked people both in media and real life and it's viewed as no big deal, yet any kind of violence is viewed as real bad.
Much of Europe has an entirely different attitude about sex and nudity than the U.S., or certain parts of the U.S. The whole "forbidden fruit" and taboo aspect.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:39 PM

13 posts, read 17,280 times
i dont care let kids enjoy they live they only live once

Old 11-14-2017, 01:22 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
I see no problem with children engaging in things at a fantasy level when they already know about those things.

There is however an age where children are innocent of human violence and hatred and evil. I prefer to maintain that innocent and illusion as long as is possible. I see no benefit of giving them computer games that will divest them of that innocence.

Once they have moved past that stage of innocence however - where they are ignorant of the hatred and violence that exists in our world - I see no reason to maintain the moratorium on computer gaming.

As with the OP though I have never - and likely will never - understand what peoples issue with nudity is. Whether involving children or not. The human neurosis and horror of the naked form is so far beyond my world view that I will likely never be able to get into their head space and see it from their perspective.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:37 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post

Just playing devil's advocate...but why are kids so much more likely to act out IRL sexual stuff but not violent stuff? What is the real difference between them? Because YOU never acted out violently after playing violent games is really NO indication of what other kids (or even you) might do if you'd been exposed to violent OR sexual content. And what ages are we talking about here? And are we talking about the juxtaposition of violent and sexual imagery?

Maaaaybe if I have time I can look up some research...but anecdotes and feelings don't mean much here.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
My older son plays Skyrim and Fallout. He wants Wolfenstein II for Christmas which he will be getting. I don't have issues with violence or nudity in video games unless the person playing them is already predisposed to acts of violence and inappropriate behavior.

ETA: I've always found it fascinating how Americans are a-okay with violence but not nudity/sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting