Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 05:07 PM

12 posts, read 21,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Opinions from anonymous strangers in an internet forum?
Why not ?the answers have helped me a lot to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 05:23 PM

12 posts, read 21,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhogHR View Post
Think back to when YOU were 7 years old. How emotionally mature were you? How would you have liked being separated from family/friends MOST of the time? Please consider your son's well being more & your brother & family traditions less. I cannot imagine sending a teen, much less a 7year old. Wishing you & your child wisdom and peace with this decision.
Yes i agree with you.That's one of the things I will argue about

Last edited by Marsey.x; 11-15-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 11-15-2017, 05:54 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
I would never have sent my children to boarding school. I had a very good friend that was sent to boarding school in high school and he was sexually abused by a member of the staff. It happens more than you would think.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
So, OP? You wouldn't like to send your child to boarding school, as your thread title indicates. So, don't. And thank you for refusing.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:09 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
I think seven is too young - but perhaps 10 or 11 would be okay?

I hope you do some research on the psychological effects of sending kids to boarding schools.

I would check the history of all boarding schools, re: emotional/physical/sexual abuse cases . . .

Old 11-15-2017, 06:44 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Your son is your son, not your brothers or your Fathers.
Do right by him, (your son) if you are spoiling him, cut back on it. He doesn't have to go all the way to Switzerland to learn how to behave properly. Is his Mother in the picture at all, & if so, what does she think? I agree with those who have suggested he go to a local private school.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:28 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
My heart hurts thinking about sending a child away like that. It actually makes me want to cry.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:46 PM

638 posts, read 529,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsey.x View Post
He is 7 years old. My brother, who has a son who is studying at one of the best boarding schools in Switzerland, has sent me some recommendations. I think he's still very young,but I want to send him to the beginning of the school year. what do you think about that ?
I personally don't know anybody who went to boarding school who was glad for it. At an absolute maximum they would concede that they got a good education.

I also think there's a big risk for abuse.

I do understand what it is like to parent a strong willed child, however, so I understand the thinking behind "toughen them up" or "learn they aren't the center of the universe". I just think that boarding school may not be the best way to do that. Public school should get the same lessons across and they sleep in their own safe bed at night.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:22 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Are you spoiling him or does your brother SAY your are spoiling him? Don't spoil him but I also don't think a seven year old is ready for boarding school. My husband is from England and was sent to boarding school for high school. He enjoyed it but it wasn't so far away that his parents couldn't come and visit every weekend. He was still a part of the family. All these years later, he still keeps in touch with the "boys" that he went to school with.

As others have stated, there is plenty of room for sexual abuse at boarding schools. I knew someone who was a victim of that and it scarred him for life. So I guess I would say that if the school is close enough for you to keep in touch and for your son to be able to come home and for you to visit, it would be okay for high school age.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I don't understand sending a child away to school, especially not that young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting