Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:54 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Sorry if there has been a thread on this before, but I could not find one!

My daughter will be 12 in March. We have already had the talk about menstruating over a year ago, but when should I have the sex talk? Other parents out there......How old were your children when you had the talk? I know I should be having this talk soon, but just wanted to hear from other parents. I'm very confident she has no clue about any of it right now, but I'm afraid if I wait too long she'll hear about it from friends and I don't want that to happen. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
There is no "one talk". This should be an on-going, age appropriate discussion from when they are very small.

At age 12, she knows more than you think - at least, more than she's letting YOU know that she knows.

You do her no favors by waiting.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Hi all! Sorry if there has been a thread on this before, but I could not find one!

My daughter will be 12 in March. We have already had the talk about menstruating over a year ago, but when should I have the sex talk? Other parents out there......How old were your children when you had the talk? I know I should be having this talk soon, but just wanted to hear from other parents. I'm very confident she has no clue about any of it right now, but I'm afraid if I wait too long she'll hear about it from friends and I don't want that to happen. Thanks!
Well, how did you explain menstruating? Why does she think it's happening to her?

It's the perfect topic to segue into reproduction.

So ... yep, by all means go ahead. Knowledge is power.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:45 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:

My daughter will be 12 in March. We have already had the talk about menstruating over a year ago, but when should I have the sex talk? Other parents out there......How old were your children when you had the talk? I know I should be having this talk soon, but just wanted to hear from other parents.
I'm very confident she has no clue about any of it right now, but I'm afraid if I wait too long she'll hear about it from friends and I don't want that to happen. Thanks!
Unless your 11 year was locked in her bedroom, without a computer, telephone, TV or radio or access to other people, for the last decade she knows a lot more than you can imagine. Hasn't she ever seen a pregnant woman or a new baby? Do you really think that she thinks that a stork brings babies?

I started "the talk" about sex when my children were preschoolers. Of course, it was the very basics then and I added more details as they grew older. I am sure that we gave the "official" penis/vagina/love/baby talk by the time that they were about eight. At that time the schools had their "welcome to puberty" movies/discussions in grade five (age 11). Now most schools, in my area, have those movies in fourth grade (age 10).

BTW, When I was pregnant with my second child my oldest was three turning four. We have a cute picture that he drew of me with a baby inside me in a big circle (womb) and the baby had what appeared to be an umbilical cord attached to it's belly button/tummy area going to the circle. So, yes, children know and understand a lot more than we imagine.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-19-2017 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 06:48 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
There is no "one talk". This should be an on-going, age appropriate discussion from when they are very small.
In general, I think this is good advice. I will say that my oldest is 10 and we had "the talk" almost a year ago when she was 9.

It was not my intention to have the discussion with her as quite as early as I did, but she was asking increasingly specific and complex questions, and I am not one to withhold information when asked directly. She was also in the early phases of puberty, so answers to questions about her body developing had been a topic for a while, which as another poster mentioned, is a perfect segue to discussing reproduction.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 11-19-2017 at 06:56 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 06:58 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Books.

Once they are *ready* I bought books from amazon that fit our values. Once my kids have a question, they come to me. Nothing awkward. Its been working well

Old 11-19-2017, 07:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Books.

Once they are *ready* I bought books from amazon that fit our values. Once my kids have a question, they come to me. Nothing awkward. Its been working well
Yes, there are wonderful books that start at the preschool level.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Geez, you guys act like I have NEVER talked to my daughter about anything. Of course I've talked to her at age appropriate levels about relationships, love, etc. I'm talking about telling her about actual intercourse. No one is telling their preschooler about that! And yes, there are a lot of great books out there and I have already gone over some of them with her.

Btw, our schools don't give sex ed until the end of 6th grade which is coming up quick. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:45 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
I'm talking about telling her about actual intercourse.
Again, why does she think women menstruate?

Does she just think it's a weird thing that happens every month?

Old 11-19-2017, 07:54 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
I tried obliquely to bring it up with my daughters about 11. They informed me I didn't need to bother because they already knew everything. Go figure. I just taught them how to deal with men correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting