Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 06:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
There is a world of difference between saying “someone said this to me” and making a whole thread generalizing “why do people think SAHMs will babysit”. One is personal experience, and the other is so far beyond making generalizations as to be ridiculous.
And then we have nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking which adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 07:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,208,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
No, that's different than people trying to take advantage under the assumption you do nothing all day.
This. Amongst the parents of our kids’ friends, we informally help each other out on a regular basis. But we all work and none of us have very young children, and no money is expected to be exchanged, so it’s a different dynamic. Little kids are a ton of work, but I barely even notice if there’s an extra preteen or two in the house.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:29 AM

6,281 posts, read 4,166,669 times
Quote:
There is a world of difference between saying “someone said this to me” and making a whole thread generalizing “why do people think SAHMs will babysit”. One is personal experience, and the other is so far beyond making generalizations as to be ridiculous.

Nitpicking still doesn't invalidate the op' s experience

Old 12-02-2017, 10:05 AM

32,559 posts, read 47,729,085 times
My place always had a pack of kids. I just put them to work. Maybe their parents were glad to be rid of them, I don't know. But none of the moms worked and most of them had a full time housekeeper, so I just assumed the kids all preferred to be at my place. I fed a lot of kids, but my child was welcome in other homes and he was fed when he was there, so I didn't feel taken advantage if.

However, I don't have any problem believing it is happening to OP because of the way strangers always thought they could use my pickup truck. People who were friends of aquantances would call and inform me that Bubba said I would let them use my pickup, when I didn't even know who Bubba was. Or the chainsaw or the cement mixer. Just because someone lived three blocks away, they felt entitled to raid my tool shed or use my horse trailer.

And pet sitting, people are the worst. In theory, I watch their pets/ livestock while they go on vacation and they reciprocate and watch mine while I am gone. Except that nobody ever reciprocated and some of them expect pet sitting every month and most of them don't even bring over any dog food, they just drop off their pets.

I don't have the slightest doubt that there are people who think they can just drop their kids off anywhere and someone else will take responsibility for them.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:53 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,682,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Nitpicking still doesn't invalidate the op' s experience
Neither does lack of reading comprehension mean that questioning the generalization of ones personal experience to society at leave is nitpicking.

Not differentiating between personal experience and generalization is one of the worst aspects of American society. People are entitled to their experiences and sharing them, that does not entitle them to pretend that makes them an expert on how society treats “SAHMs”.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:00 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,676,529 times
Quote:
Neither does lack of reading comprehension mean that questioning the generalization of ones personal experience to society at leave is nitpicking.

Not differentiating between personal experience and generalization is one of the worst aspects of American society. People are entitled to their experiences and sharing them, that does not entitle them to pretend that makes them an expert on how society treats “SAHMs”.
It seems like you are really bothered by this thread and are trying to make it into something that its not.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:41 AM

6,281 posts, read 4,166,669 times
Quote:
People are entitled to their experiences and sharing them, that does not entitle them to pretend that makes them an expert on how society treats “SAHMs”.

If you want to talk about reading comprehension the OP didn't state she was an expert.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,682,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It seems like you are really bothered by this thread and are trying to make it into something that its not.
I am endlessly bothered by people taking the actions of one or two people and using them to making sweeping generalizations about groups. In all honesty I think it is one of the sources of many of societies ills. This thread is just a classic example.

Last edited by lkb0714; 12-02-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 12-02-2017, 04:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,334,679 times
Quote:
I am endlessly bothered by people taking the actions of one or two people and using them to making sweeping generalizations about groups. In all honesty I think it is one of the sources of many of societies ills. This thread is just a classic example.
What group of people is being generalized here? I don't see any racism, sexism or anything else in this thread. Nobody is being persecuted here. That is a figment of your imagination. You seem to be very upset about this thread. I hope you can get past this somehow.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:25 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,702,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
This. Amongst the parents of our kids’ friends, we informally help each other out on a regular basis. But we all work and none of us have very young children, and no money is expected to be exchanged, so it’s a different dynamic. Little kids are a ton of work, but I barely even notice if there’s an extra preteen or two in the house.

+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting