Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 02:14 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
The apology is weird, it's almost like they would be implying that there is something wrong with how your child's dad looks...which I'm sure is not what they mean. Bad form though, haha.
HAHA! I definitely phrased that wrong. It was them seeing my husband and saying "OH, now I get it. He's all his Dad." And then apologize because I must feel bad that they don't think he looks like me. I have light hair and light skin (to say the least!) and they both have dark hair and eyes and tan no matter what. How deluded would I have to be to think he took after me in looks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 02:35 PM

388 posts, read 307,395 times
My son is only 4 months old, but put him next to one of his dad's baby pictures and they could be twins, except son's hair is redder like dad's hair now instead of the light blonde he was as a baby. Other people have said he has my eyes or nose, but I don't see it. It will be interesting to see how his features develop as he gets older!

Old 12-01-2017, 03:03 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
My daughter is a combo of us, but superficially people say she favours her dad. Her dad is a tall Scandinavian, I'm a red-haired freckled short person. Daughter is taller and blonde, but has my green eyes and facial structure. I didn't realize it until one year as a staff person at my daughter's high school I got my picture taken. Seeing both of our faces at 8X10 it was really striking how alike in shape they are.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:33 PM

20,762 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Neither of my kids look remarkably like me or their father - they look a lot like each other and both have some traits of each of us, but nothing that would stand out in any way as much of a resemblance if you were a stranger looking at us. They are a pretty good blend of the both of us, but no mini me's here. The part that I find weird (to me) is that they both have a different eye color than me (oldest has hazel and youngest has dark brown), and even though my so has dark eyes, I guess I always grew up picturing having blue eyed kids so it's strange not to see much of myself in them. I don't know why, but the eyes thing is where I always thought the resemblance would be. (And yes, I know they are mine, I am the mother, haha!)

Can anyone else relate to what I am saying? How much do your kids look like you?
My sister has green eyes, neither one of my parents have. Everyone was surprised when she had no hair until she was almost two and then it grew red. Someone dug out a picture from our Greatgrandfather - RED HAIR and the mystery was solved.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:08 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
My daughter is unusually pretty/attractive, and that's not just me saying it. She just is. All her life, if I showed someone a picture, they often gasped and said, "That's YOUR daughter?" without thinking. It became amusing over the years.

She does have the same bone structure in her body as I do, except that she is only 5'8". She resembles her father more facially, although she doesn't really look that much like him, either. She favors his oldest sister except that she has my brown eyes instead of the blue ones of his family.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
I’m not sure how to edit the title or original post to say bio kids, but yes. What does GIGO mean?
Garbage in, Garbage out. It's an old term in math and computer science.

Bad input will result in bad output. Because computers operate using strict logic, invalid input may produce unrecognizable output, or "garbage."

Old 12-01-2017, 07:35 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
My son looks more like me. Although he has light skin like I do, he tends to turn brown rather than pink in the sun; that's from my husband.

My daughter is the spitting image of my husband in terms of features, but she gets her light coloring and her red hair (and propensity to sunburn!) from my side of the family. It's funny because she always looked more like me when she was younger. I also don't have the red hair and freckles; those came from my grandmother. But no, it's not weird at all. She's just my kid and it doesn't matter what her coloring or features look like.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Neither of my kids look remarkably like me or their father - they look a lot like each other and both have some traits of each of us, but nothing that would stand out in any way as much of a resemblance if you were a stranger looking at us. They are a pretty good blend of the both of us, but no mini me's here. The part that I find weird (to me) is that they both have a different eye color than me (oldest has hazel and youngest has dark brown), and even though my so has dark eyes, I guess I always grew up picturing having blue eyed kids so it's strange not to see much of myself in them. I don't know why, but the eyes thing is where I always thought the resemblance would be. (And yes, I know they are mine, I am the mother, haha!)

Can anyone else relate to what I am saying? How much do your kids look like you?
My daughter looks like the female version of my husband. She looks absolutely nothing like me.

My son looks very similar to my father when he was my son's age. I wouldn't say he looks like me though and he definitely doesn't look like my husband.

Both of my kids do have my blue eyes and that was the first thing I looked at when they were born. I was SO happy to see those baby blues, so I do totally understand your comment about the eyes.

In the end though, what makes them MY kids are the little personality quirks they share with me and my husband. I'm sure if you think about it that way, you'll see the resemblance in your kids, blue eyes or not.

And, of course, looking like you doesn't make them your kiddos. Ask any adoptive parent and they'll tell you that your kids are your kids even when they don't share a single gene.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:53 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
My dad looked like his dad. I look a lot like my dad. My son looks a lot like me.

When people comment on how much my son looks like me, I usually reply, "I know. I can't deny him. I'm just not so sure he's my wife's".

Old 12-02-2017, 06:43 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
None of my kids 'look' like me. They look more like other relatives in the family. I always say we know who the father is, but we aren't sure about the mother. Son #1 looks like my father in law and one of my brothers had a baby together. Son #2 looks more like another brother and my mother in law. My daughter looks a lot like my husband's dad's mother with different coloring. She does have my hand and lip shape.

I have a brother who greatly resembles a first cousin. They didn't look like anyone else until I saw a picture of our great grandfather. It's always fun to see who we get our traits from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting