Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:33 AM

426 posts, read 362,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Well, first of all, don't go in there talking about lawsuits. What, exactly, did your friend who suggested threatening a lawsuit believe that you would sue them for??

Also, why are you angry that they have your private phone number? They aren't even answering the calls you are making. I doubt they will be abusing your phone number.

While I absolutely believe this was out of line, this story is very bizarre, and I still think the questionnaire was every bit the daughter's idea.

I think both the mom and the daughter had things they wanted to know, so the daughter just asked the mom to sign it in case it backfires because it doesn't matter to the daughter if everyone thinks the mom is a weirdo and the mom probably doesn't care what her reputation is among people she doesn't know.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I understand other people think differently. I still think its weird and creepy. Just like I find something like arranged marriages weird and creepy. I get people do it. I don't agree with it at all.

But thinking something is weird and creepy is not grounds for a lawsuit.

I think its weird that women go to super bowl parties JUST to drink and have no intention of watching the game, but I can't go call the police to shut down the party because I think its weird.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB0925 View Post
As a mother to a 16 y/o daughter...an application is ridiculous...who does that??

Being a mom to a 16 year old is not enough to relate.

Your daughter needs to be the type who gets tons of boy attention and either enjoys or desires the ability to pick the perfect boy.

If your 16 year old keeps to herself, she is not going to relate.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i purposely held off from clicking on this thread listed in the active threads from around the forum list for about a week because i thought the discussion would be for a mobile app like tinder or grinder where parents rank/date their children (yikes !).

now after reading the op: its weird. i would disregard the application.
find out from the son if he really likes this girl because theres already some big challenges ahead; if she is worth it then the two families should get together to discuss their concerns over a more normal setting (bar-bq, tea, dinner, ...)

i think your son is smart for showing it to you; it's illegal for minors to sign contracts.

i feel bad posting this but keep the contract and note (file it away) in case its needed down the road as evidence in a trial.

This isn't quite accurate.

Minors ARE allowed to sign contracts, but the minor is allowed to opt-out at anytime, which is why no one asks minors to sign contracts.

In other words, they are unenforceable, which is why no one asks minors to sign.

But my takeaway was not that the contract is designed to be enforceable.

She just wants to set expectations for the relationship. Breach of contract would just mean one side ends the relationship.

Besides, did the mom even expressly use the word contract? It was only referred to as an application. Those are not the same thing in a legal sense.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I would start the conversation off by stating how uncomfortable you are with all of this. Ask if they can explain in better detail what you feel like is an invasion of privacy.

Maybe they have legit reasoning.

It really isn't an invasion of privacy to hand it out.

If you feel it is an invasion of privacy, then don't return the application.

It is not an invasion of privacy because someone asked you a question that you didn't like.

To clarify to the mom involved, there is no threat of punishment on the application if you do not fill it out right?

Old 12-13-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Key words being "their minor children". The sexual activity of other minor children is none of their business.

How are you going to isolate their child from the other child in a sexual act that involves 2 people?

Also, it is illegal for an adult to engage in sex with a minor.

It is not illegal for the adult to know if a minor has sex with another minor.

Too many people in this conversation are confusing those 2 things with each other.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Uh, maybe because the OP cannot control to whom these people give the phone number. I hope your meeting with the parents goes well. I have serious doubts. DO meet in public and find a place where you can ask a friend to sit nearby to be a witness to the conversation.

I would definitely control when and where my son could have interactions with this girl outside of school and school functions (dance, basketball games, etc.). I'm not sure I'd tell him no to all contact with her but clearly I would not trust the parents of the girl. I think you are on the right path and completely not over reacting.

Good luck, let us know how the parent-to-parent meeting goes.

If the purpose of the friend being a witness is to make this go to trial, it will not work.

Most states have laws that prohibit planted witnesses where the group has some reason to believe they are not being spied on.

So an employee of the restaurant can be a witness if something violent happens, but the planted witness cannot. It would be easy for a lawyer to make the connection to someone wiretapping a phone call.

The jury will likely not have sufficient legal education to make an informed opinion on that analogy and will likely succumb to the wire tapping analogy.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Why else would teenagers of the opposite sex want to be alone together on weekends or after school?
Listen, I understand you truly believe that teens walk around in a perpetual state of arousal, salivating at the opportunity to have sex. But back to reality...no.

Teens of the opposite sex often hang out together on weekends or after school....

just.to.hang.out.

Imagine that.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
If the parents want to protect their kid from getting an STD, it IS their business.

How is it creepy to know a yes/no or how many?

It would be creepy if they asked him to provide details of the encounter.

That is not the same thing.
Its not up to the parents to protect their kid from getting an STD. It is up to the person having sex to protect themselves. Otherwise, they shouldn't be having sex. And no, its not mommy and daddy's business if Jr. has herpes. Again, the only person who should be concerned about one's sexual history is the person who will be having sex. Its NONE of the parents' business if Jr. had sex already or with how many.

Mommy and daddy will have to be content they taught their child to be mature, discerning etc.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:33 AM

Quote:
But thinking something is weird and creepy is not grounds for a lawsuit.
Where did I say it was?

Quote:
I think its weird that women go to super bowl parties JUST to drink and have no intention of watching the game, but I can't go call the police to shut down the party because I think its weird.
Um ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting