Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:30 PM

776 posts, read 394,059 times

Advertisements

We tell kids that they can't go outside and/or hang out with friends because of kidnapping, bullying, peer pressure, cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, sex, falling behind on schoolwork, etc., and then we complain about our kids always being inside on their phones. Such hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 03:42 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
You tell your kids they can't play outside "because of sex"?

Parenting is about management and is an active process, not a passive one. Hopefully those who are complaining aren't doing it while looking down at their own phones.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:46 AM

776 posts, read 394,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You tell your kids they can't play outside "because of sex"?
By "we", I meant "the public".

Old 12-05-2017, 05:39 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
I agree with the general message of the OP.

It cracks me up when people lament the use of phones then complain when kids are :gasp: outside playing by themselves. I've taken it upon myself to thumb my nose at detractors and do what I think is right with my kids. They go to the park by themselves, they go for walks by themselves, ODS goes out for pizza, to the mall, etc. by himself. YDS will be allowed the same independence when he is ready for it.

And for the adults in the neighborhood, the mall, pizza shop etc who don't like it? Too bad.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:50 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
We encourage our son to play outside as much as possible as do our neighbors. Our son has a limited free range (he can go to certain neighbors and in limited parts of a park but not out of eyesight from our windows/deck). We don’t have a phone and if he does anything on the tablet he has 30 mins max.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:11 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,825 times
?

My kids are in school most of the day and there aren't as many kids their age in my neighborhood. Most are too young or high school students, or too obnoxious and have zero interest in interacting with them.

So they stay inside and enjoy solitary activities, especially when it's cold or ungodly hot.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Kids here in my town go outside to play frequently.

With the youngest, we usually had one or more parents sitting outside watching them to make sure that they were not going to be hit by a car. With the older kids, they walk to the park in our subdivision and play by themselves (usually by the time they are 8 or 9). They also walk to the pool once they are 13 (that's the age when they are allowed in without parental supervision).

This is true of pretty much everyone here in our subdivision.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:22 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
By "we", I meant "the public".
You're not speaking for me. My grandkids are allowed to play outside, in fact are encouraged to do so.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:45 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,455,143 times
I'm raising my kids to go outside. Thats how it was for me. I played video games and watched TV (didn't use a computer til I was like 11-12 and then it was my mom's, not my own) but my parents made sure I got plenty of outdoor play whether its baseball in the backyard, jumping on the trampoline, riding the swings, hanging out with the neighbour kids etc. etc.

I actually used my imagination as a kid. Had sword fights with sticks, pretended to be pirates, made up adventure stories with my brother etc. And we didn't have a pool so every summer we went to my aunt's pool, or we just played in the backyard with a hose or had water balloon fights. Kids need to be able to do that. Don't keep them locked up inside. Don't spoil them with unlimited internet access (there's more danger to them from a cyber predator than a random creep picking them off the front yard) Encourage imagination and play.

My kids are going out year round. Going to parks, riding bikes around the neighbourhood, making snowforts, going sledding, swimming in pools and lakes. Its only a "sign of the times" because of how parents raise their kids. I also don't understand how parents who grew up in the 80s and 90s, in a time where kids had more outdoor play and more freedom, have raised their kids so differently then how their generation was raised. What brought this shift? Its funny you watch a show like Stranger Things or you watch something that actually came out in the 80s like the Goonies, and kids today are nothing like that. Parents shelter them too much and give them all these gadgets, even if they have bad grades or misbehave, and I've seen it with my youngest step-brother. The kid is literally illiterate, misbehaves all the time, has repeated 2nd or 3rd grade, how many times? What does his dad do? Nothing. Give him as many video games and tablets as he wants, doesn't emphasise him working on homework or school work. I also think its this overhype of crime in the media. Its safer now than the 80s and 90s and you wouldn't realise it.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:23 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Yeah, I wonder who this *we* is because no one here does that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting