Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 04:05 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Instead of getting offensive and turning on the Momma Bear mode, ask her what does she mean by she's weird. She may be struggling with how to tell you something. We're all weird in our own way.
Exactly. For many, weird works out very well later in life.

My age group, Bill Gates would of been considered weird.

The OT gal sounds dreadful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 05:42 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
My daughter has been going to OT for a couple months for some sensory issues. She is 4. After the session the therapist tells me what they did and how my child reacted. Today she kept mentioning that my child was “weird” and she has said it before as well. This therapist is young and has no kids so I guess she doesn’t realize that it’s a hurtful thing to say to a parent but it’s also pretty unprofessional. I didn’t really know what to say and I think she gathered that from my face. Yeah my daughter has some quirks which is why she is in OT. To be totally unPC her job is to work with kids that might be considered “weird”. The way she talks about my child it seems like it might not be helping her at all but my child loves to go and asks to go many times when it’s not even her appt day. So I’m considering stopping it since it is a big expense and this lady is rude (but my kid adores her). What would you say and do? Yes I am being butthurt and I am also sick and more emotional right now and don’t want to overreact and say something I’d regret. I need some rational responses, lol.
It sounds as if your child is doing well with the therapist, you mention nothing to the contrary. And that is the point of having her there, right?

Have a private talk with the therapist about your hurt feelings before you do do anything precipitous. I find that younger people use many words that I find inappropriate because the use and meaning of those words has changed over the years. Perhaps "weird" is a highly loaded word for you, but not so for her.

Talk about it with the therapist, this is for your child first of all. In other words, as a younger person would say - Don't go getting all "weird" about it. Have a talk with her. Think of your daughter before your butthurt nonsense screws things up.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:25 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That one went over my head. I think it might go over the OT's as well.
One just inserts the title for who they are talking to.

I've used the line before in reality. It is rather a silencer of further conversation.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One just inserts the title for who they are talking to.

I've used the line before in reality. It is rather a silencer of further conversation.
I'm sure! And therein lies the issue. The child likes the therapist. If the parent wants to continue the relationship, this is not the way to pursue it.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
Where the people she was talking about actually retarded?
No, which I stated though not in those words, and I think you know that.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
I do not understand why so many people want to go directly to the supervisor without even talking to the OT herself. It sounds like, other than this, she's a good OT. The child likes her.

For the nth time, I do not think the OT should have said the child was "weird". However, I've heard worse. There was a new young doctor at my office who used the word "retarded" in the colloquial manner when she first started working there. I have a feeling she was "counseled" to stop it.
Who better to "counsel" the OT than her supervisor.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Who better to "counsel" the OT than her supervisor.
I disagree that contacting the supervisor should be the first step. Why not talk to the OT first and leave the supervisor out of it? (I don't know who talked to that doctor; it might well have been a patient. Heck, she might have overheard me saying that I thought the word was offensive.)

Having worked in health care, here's one likely scenario, though not the only one:

Sup: "Suzi" I got a complaint about you yesterday.
OT: Oh?
Sup: Yes, a mom says you referred to her daughter as "weird". (Pregnant pause while sup waits for OT to respond)
OT: Well, I don't remember my exact words, yeah, maybe I did say that because. . .
Sup: I have to write you up for this.

Later, supervisor brings form for OT to sign. When it comes time for performance review, OT gets bad review and no raise, even though she's never said that again, she's one of the best OTs in the office, etc. OT quits job. Replacement isn't nearly as good a therapist.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:02 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
I disagree that contacting the supervisor should be the first step. Why not talk to the OT first and leave the supervisor out of it? (I don't know who talked to that doctor; it might well have been a patient. Heck, she might have overheard me saying that I thought the word was offensive.)

Having worked in health care, here's one likely scenario, though not the only one:

Sup: "Suzi" I got a complaint about you yesterday.
OT: Oh?
Sup: Yes, a mom says you referred to her daughter as "weird". (Pregnant pause while sup waits for OT to respond)
OT: Well, I don't remember my exact words, yeah, maybe I did say that because. . .
Sup: I have to write you up for this.

Later, supervisor brings form for OT to sign. When it comes time for performance review, OT gets bad review and no raise, even though she's never said that again, she's one of the best OTs in the office, etc. OT quits job. Replacement isn't nearly as good a therapist.
That's one possibility. It's also possible the supervisor doesn't write her up, she doesn't get a bad review, and she doesn't quit.

Or, she does quit and her replacement is just as good, and as a bonus, doesn't call kids weird.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:11 AM

Why bypass the worker herself, do an end run to her supervisor? Why not give her a chance to change her behavior without getting involved in the office discipline process? Just one chance!

Old 12-22-2017, 09:37 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
I am guessing the person who prescribed the ADD medication intentionally knew the medication would interfere with puberty to force the first poster to have to pay for another appointment.

(I don't actually think puberty has anything to do with anything, but if it does, you can be sure that doctor made that "mistake" intentionally.)
What the heck?

ADHD medications need to be calibrated for individual children. Puberty does affect the dosage, so it is legitimate that a change in meds made be needed when a child hits puberty. The meds do not *interfere* with puberty, but puberty does change the medication needs.

As for appointments, my granddaughter who takes adhd meds has to be seen at various times when we renew her prescription because they are a controlled substance and the doctor has to account for their usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting