Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:17 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I don't get it. There is no diagnosis but there is regular therapy? While I certainly favor getting children in need as much help as possible, I find it odd, and possibly offensive to be tapping into what appears to be public funding on a whim. Who ordered the therapy? At what kind of place does it occur? What are the qualifications of those running the center? What are the qualifications of the "therapist" in question? Who is actually paying the bills?
The OP already stated that her daughter is in OT for SPD which stands for Sensory Processing Disorder. It's pretty common in kids these days and OT is very appropriate for SPD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 08:21 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Did she make the comment where your child could hear it? That would be even worse. Even at age 4, kids can understand what "weird" means and that it's a negative thing. When I was a child, adults would comment all the time on my size. They'd tell my mom, in front of me, "oh gosh your daughter is so BIG". I was big for my age, and it eventually made me self conscious. Kids shouldn't have to hear this garbage.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:18 AM

242 posts, read 184,184 times
Quote:
I don't get it. There is no diagnosis but there is regular therapy? While I certainly favor getting children in need as much help as possible, I find it odd, and possibly offensive to be tapping into what appears to be public funding on a whim. Who ordered the therapy? At what kind of place does it occur? What are the qualifications of those running the center? What are the qualifications of the "therapist" in question? Who is actually paying the bills?

I’m paying for it, thanks. A dx code is necessary for insurance funding. I am paying cash. Many kids get early intervention services without a formal dx. Some go on to receive one, some don’t. It’s a formality. If they need to for insurance purposes it will say spd because that is what they are treating but it doesn’t officially show up on her medical record yet unless a a formal written dx is made. They would not have agreed to treat her if she didn’t qualify on eval as that is a waste of everyone’s time. Your taxes are not paying for my kid so don’t worry.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:35 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
Do not accept any vague evaluations. You need and want medical terms and any verbal communication should be followed up with a written evaluation. You should ask for and keep copies of all medical tests.evaluations, etc. Ask people to be blunt, direct, scientific, and direct.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:21 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I would probably ask the person to clarify how they define "weird" in relation to my child. Once they expanded upon "their" definition, I would proceed to either A; Discuss this "opinion" with their superior, or B: Counter the definition with, Okay so weird to you means, "different", Not within the "Norm", Well with that in mind, most children challenged with this melady are indeed Different in being tolerant of adults with narrow views. Perhaps in your "normal" day of providing rehabilitation you can work on your "different" attitude. Fair enough?

Old 12-20-2017, 11:35 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Is the therapist helping your daughter? If so, work with her, and ask what she means by weird.

The other day, my husband's doctor told him he's weird. She's right on several levels, but what she actually meant was that he reacted differently to the medication than most people. She's a friend, so can speak more casually to us than to regular patients.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I would probably ask the person to clarify how they define "weird" in relation to my child. Once they expanded upon "their" definition, I would proceed to either A; Discuss this "opinion" with their superior, or B: Counter the definition with, Okay so weird to you means, "different", Not within the "Norm", Well with that in mind, most children challenged with this melady are indeed Different in being tolerant of adults with narrow views. Perhaps in your "normal" day of providing rehabilitation you can work on your "different" attitude. Fair enough?
I would not turn this into a full blown "intervention". It's going to be difficult enough for the OP to tell the therapist she was uncomfortable with the term "weird".

Old 12-20-2017, 12:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
Is it this person's problem what the OT is saying to other parents about their children?

It doesn't do the child any good to continue pretending the child is normal if they're not normal.
What exactly is *normal?* Labels matter. There is nothing wrong with being quirkly or having various problems. These do not mean a child is *weird.*

What makes something or someone weird or normal? Something is weird when it breaks societal norms. Weirdness is ultimately subjective. A therapist should not be using this term when s/he can be more precise about what a child has. Often gifted children are considered *weird* because they act out of the norm. That is not a bad thing so we should shut down the use of weird for most traits.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
You do not need a dx to need therapy. Often the child needs OT due to fine motor issues which are not necessarily enough for a dx. Special needs are simply traits that may need to be worked on with OT, PT, ST or other therapies. Often children start therapy before a diagnosis is made and the dx is confirmed later on.

Very young children often need therapies, but can be difficult to diagnose.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:41 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I would not turn this into a full blown "intervention". It's going to be difficult enough for the OP to tell the therapist she was uncomfortable with the term "weird".
No, "weird" is not a medical term, and it is borderline insulting. It is not difficult to understand at all.

If someone told me my stepson was "weird" there would be a discussion, immediately.

COMPLETELY inappropriate for a health care professional.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting