Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:13 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,287,724 times

Advertisements

Did your son or daughter date or marry a vegetarian?

We're you supportive and accommodating?

How has it affected family gatherings?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:25 AM

32,529 posts, read 47,608,287 times
Sorry. I laughed out loud. My son is a dedicated carnivore who hunts, fishes, raises and butchers his own meat. The thought of him with a vegetarian is pretty amusing.

But, if he ends up with a vegetarian, that will be fine. I don't mind adding a vegetarian dish to the meal if they come to dinner. I could figure out what to feed a vegan; there are recipes online. I really don't care what other people eat and it doesn't hurt my felling if a dinner guest doesn't want to eat some of everything or doesn't clean their plate.

My mother had a few vegetarian friends and they just ate what they could eat and left the rest of us to eat the roast or turkey or whatever it was that they couldn't eat.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:35 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post

My son and DIL are both vegetarians (although, my son does occasionally eat meat). Plus there are numerous vegetarians among my nieces and nephews. It certainly has not effected family gatherings at all. As long as there are a couple of side dishes that are vegetarian everyone in happy. Who cares if they don't eat the turkey or the stuffing that was baked inside the turkey? IMHO, it would be like inviting friends who are Jewish to dinner and getting upset that they did not eat the ham.

Now the many years that our daughter was a strict vegan were more difficult but we still never had a problem at family gatherings (at other people's homes). Sometimes all that she ate was a lettuce salad, plain baked potato or an apple but she never actually starved. And, at our home she made vegan dishes to share.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,554,356 times
I think it shouldn't matter because if you love your child, you should not have a problem of supporting whatever he or she decided to do in life. Of course, I am not talking about supporting wrong doing, but in this case, I don't see why parents don't support or accommodate.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,677,956 times
Quote:

I wasn't involved in my son's choice to be or marry a vegan.

What I am involved in is eating the delicious meals they prepare.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:44 AM

13,976 posts, read 25,861,632 times
My youngest son and his various girlfriends have, at various times, been vegan, vegetarian, and pescatarian. It's never been an issue for us, in fact, we discovered new foods and recipes that we enjoyed.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:52 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,374,009 times
Quote:

I expect to be supportive and accommodating regarding any number of things. I don't see anything alarming about vegetarianism.. You adapt family meals on the occasions you host/participate in those meals. *shrugs*

Old 12-26-2017, 11:11 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,903,010 times
Quote:

Yes. My daughter is dating a vegetarian.

Yes. Why wouldn’t I be?

It hasn’t affected family gatherings at all. Why would it? Total non-issue.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:17 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,157,980 times
This made me laugh because my mother is very southern and is a great cook--in part because she puts pork/pork fat/duck fat in everything. One of my brothers has a new girlfriend who is vegan. My mother is trying to be supportive but it's like she has a mental block. As we were planning Christmas dinner she keeps asking my sister and me: "But I can use cheese, and K will eat it, right?" "No, mama" "So I can make [recipe with a pound of butter] and she will eat that, right?" "No, mama".
It was all fine and it isn't as if we felt like every dish had to be vegan but we wanted the girl to have something to eat!
And my mother will have to adjust better because they got engaged on Christmas day. Now we are all planning a vegan wedding for July...

Old 12-26-2017, 01:09 PM

50,111 posts, read 63,494,064 times
My son’s friend married a vegetarian girl. She and their two babies are vegetarian, so he only eats meat in restaurants.
The few times I’ve had her over for dinner, she just ate all the side dishes...no big deal. If they go to a potluck, she brings a vegetarian dish.
Vegan would be A LOT harder, but I could still manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting