Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:25 PM

426 posts, read 362,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
He's got a weekday girlfriend then. This has nothing to do with the age issue but he probably has 2 girlfriends. I may have first hand experience in this matter in my younger years.

If the girl wants to spend more time with him, this is unlikely, particularly since he's not in college.

If he really liked an athletic girl who has practice every weekday, this might make more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
OP, if you all are in Alaska, this relationship is, as others have said, playing with fire.

In Alaska, as in many other states, the laws on statutory rape depend, in part, on the age difference between the two partners. The law recognizes statutory rape only in cases involving an age difference of more than 3 years. A 20 year old man who has sex with a 15 year old girl, in Alaska, is guilty of statutory rape. A 17 year old male who has consensual sex with a 15 year old girl is not guilty of statutory rape, under Alaska law. Statutory Rape Laws-Alaska - CNN iReport

The girl isn't telling her parents about this guy, which is a dead giveaway that she knows something isn't quite right about her relationship with him. I would continue as best I could to keep lines of communication with her open because you seem to be the adult she trusts. If things go sour she'll come to you before her folks. So listen a lot, and listen very hard when she talks--keeping in mind that she is (probably) inexperienced about guys at her age. If this is her "first love" let her know that she doesn't have to do everything a guy asks.

Then I'd start bringing the topic of boys up with her parents. Not necessarily telling them directly what's going on, but talking about school, boys, her friends--that sort of thing. Enough to get them thinking hard about what the girl's life is like when they're not around. Unless they're totally dense, they'll take it from there on their own.

Yes, it could all be relatively innocent. But if something bad happens--rape, pregnancy, violence--all bets are off and you tell everyone.

You didn't read your link correctly. It says right at the top that the minimum age to have intercourse with someone over 18 is 16.

If the girl is 15 and the guy is within 3 years, it is also ok, but 16 and up has nothing to do with the 3-year window.

Teenage girls hide lots of stuff from their parents, so that is not quite a dead giveaway. Also, they do not seem to be around much.

It's doubtful this is her first boyfriend if she's dating a college guy. A girl's first boyfriend isn't usually older than her.

If something bad happens, that's the WORST time to tell everyone. She could run away at that point. That's TERRIBLE advice.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I would tell the parents immediately. Your niece is asking for help, even if she's not being direct.

As for betraying a confidence, this would not even be a concern to me. You can tell the parents not to tell her that you told them specific details because you want to keep the lines of communication open, but they should know.

The bigger problem is that she needs guidance, boundaries, and supervision. Can you possibly help out in that regard?

I always hate comments like this.

How is confiding in someone equivalent to "Yes, please squeal on me"

If the girl hasn't told someone else who knows the parents, what's the parents excuse going to be on how they know?

I'm not sure a 16-year old needs supervision.

Do you want to be like those parents who think their daughter needs their mom with her on her dates?

If you're cool enough that the two would ask you to hang out with them though, you should say yes and investigate yourself.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I doubt a 20 year old man is dating a 16 year old teen for the stimulating conversation. I have a thing he is only "dating" her for one reason—sex. And if they’re only hanging out at each others' houses then I have think I know what they’re doing.

And just out of curiosity: is he actually sustaining himself by working on cars? Is it a legitimate business, or is it just he’s good with cars and people are paying him cash?

On the other hand, maybe they do "love" each other, and they just don’t want her parents to know because of how it looks.

Sometimes people who are totally opposite each other date for a short time because they find each other interesting, but it inevitably falls apart. Sort of like when you meet a girl on vacation and then are in that city for 6 months and you hang out again.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
I always hate comments like this.

How is confiding in someone equivalent to "Yes, please squeal on me"

If the girl hasn't told someone else who knows the parents, what's the parents excuse going to be on how they know?

I'm not sure a 16-year old needs supervision.

Do you want to be like those parents who think their daughter needs their mom with her on her dates?

If you're cool enough that the two would ask you to hang out with them though, you should say yes and investigate yourself.
You're not? Please tell us how many 16 yr olds you've parented.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You're not? Please tell us how many 16 yr olds you've parented.

I don't think 16-year olds need supervision in the sense that the parent needs to be present on their date.

That humiliates the 16-year old and ruins any trust they might have and is not necessary.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
I don't think 16-year olds need supervision in the sense that the parent needs to be present on their date.

That humiliates the 16-year old and ruins any trust they might have and is not necessary.
That's not the same as saying a 16 year old needs NO supervision. There are other forms of supervision than accompanying a teen on a date.

Now please answer the question I asked.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
That's not the same as saying a 16 year old needs NO supervision. There are other forms of supervision than accompanying a teen on a date.

Now please answer the question I asked.

Giving guidance isn't supervision.

Maybe that's not what the poster meant, but it's not what the word means.

I don't think anyone's parented a statistically significant number of 16-year olds, so no idea where you are going with this.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:23 PM

So the answer is you have parented zero 16 year olds? No wonder you're such an expert. Most of us who have done so are a little less sure of the right answers.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
So the answer is you have parented zero 16 year olds? No wonder you're such an expert. Most of us who have done so are a little less sure of the right answers.

I didn't say that. Are you trying to bait me or something.

I'm saying that asking for a number implies statistical significance, but I doubt anyone here has raised hundreds of kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting