Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 12:12 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,691,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
All valid points, but those are not the type of SAHMs I’m complaining about.

I’m complaining about the type of SAHMs who are sitting in a spa or beauty salon all day while their husbands are working long hours. I am not complaining about the SAHMs who are working hard in the home.
Who are these women that you are talking about? Do you know them personally or seeing them in the pages of People Magazine or what? I have known a LOT of stay-at-home moms (because I was one myself), and I know none like this. Is it possible that you are misinterpreting what is happening? I mean, I might go get a haircut, but that doesn't mean that I spend my days in the beauty salon. (I'm not currently a SAHM; just using that as an example.)

I'm thinking these women are a figment of your imagination or you maybe know one family like this and are projecting that onto the population at large.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,366,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Who are these women that you are talking about? Do you know them personally or seeing them in the pages of People Magazine or what? I have known a LOT of stay-at-home moms (because I was one myself), and I know none like this. Is it possible that you are misinterpreting what is happening? I mean, I might go get a haircut, but that doesn't mean that I spend my days in the beauty salon. (I'm not currently a SAHM; just using that as an example.)

I'm thinking these women are a figment of your imagination or you maybe know one family like this and are projecting that onto the population at large.
"Real" Housewives of......

Someone needs to turn it off or take it with a grain of salt.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:39 PM

609 posts, read 261,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post

I know that I want to go to a beauty salon, I have to find a babysitter first and pay them to watch my children. And that's not always easy. Not that it can't be done, it just involves jumping through some hoops.

In fact, if I want any kind of break at all I have to find a sitter. I can't just walk out my house, leaving my kids there alone; if I did that, I could be arrested and charged with child endangerment. Walking out whenever I feel like it is not an option.

Going to the salon or spa whenever I feel like it, is not an option. Any leisure activity involves having to find back up childcare.

As for wealthier people, well, they do tend to have easier lives that the rest of us do. There are rich women and rich men who don't have to work. They have plenty of free time to do as they want. I know a few people who took early retirement. They saved money, spent very little, and invested well.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:39 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,533,536 times
I think some of our points were that even if you are a rich wealthy person who doesn’t have to work is it really the best thing for the child to basically be raised by a nanny. This does happen. Someone can do whatever they want with their money but if you already aren’t working i challenge why you really need a nanny to help raise your kids. Just know that these people are in the minority. For most people that isn’t real life. Having help is great but if I were rich I’d hire a chef or a maid before I hired someone to watch my kids.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,308,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think some of our points were that even if you are a rich wealthy person who doesn’t have to work is it really the best thing for the child to basically be raised by a nanny. .
Have you ever had a nanny?

I'm guessing you haven't, because if you had, you would know that nannies don't work all day long. They usually work during the day.

It's not much different from a working parent who puts their child in daycare during the day.

It's already been discussed why some SAHMs need to hire nannies. Everyone's family situation is different and may have different challenges, i.e. special needs kids, health problems, no extended family in the area to help out, multiples (twins, triplets), various other reasons. You can not assume that every single person in the world is in the exact same situation. But really they don't have to justify any reasons to anyone.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:58 PM

Ive has a babysitter who did about 25 to 30 hours a week while I was at work. So yup plenty for me to do when I got home at 6 but then kids were in bed at 7:30ish.

If I hadn’t had a job there’d be no babysitter.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Ive has a babysitter who did about 25 to 30 hours a week while I was at work. So yup plenty for me to do when I got home at 6 but then kids were in bed at 7:30ish.

If I hadn’t had a job there’d be no babysitter.
And that's you, and that's your own personal situation. You can decide that for yourself, but you can't decide what other people do.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:01 PM

But also many people DO have live in nannies. We can’t know for sure what schedule every nanny works but some seem to work round the clock

Old 01-16-2020, 03:02 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
And that's you, and that's your own personal situation. You can decide that for yourself, but you can't decide what other people do.
Um I’m not.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
But also many people DO have live in nannies. We can’t know for sure what schedule every nanny works but some seem to work round the clock
How can a nanny work around the clock? When would they sleep? You can't employ someone and make them work 24 hours a day. It's against the law.

So what you have stated is not true at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.