Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 09:30 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
If there's a SUDDEN change from lazy 24/7 to wanting to socialize all the time with these girls, they weren't really depressed.

Think of it this way. If the boy was depressed because his twin brother suddenly died and they were best friends all the time, just because a pretty girl comes along doesn't mean he's going to forget his twin brother.
He might still go, but it will be clear he's still really upset.

If he just drops the act altogether, obviously it wasn't real.

There's no chance of it backfiring because if the boy responds well to the pretty girl, the girl will still want to socialize with him outside of what she was asked to do because he'll be interesting. If the boy does not respond well, the girl will not ever want to socialize with him again anyway, regardless of what she was asked to do.

There's actually very little chance of it failing.
It’s misguided ideas like this that cause a stigma to be attached to mental illness. The child has a diagnosis of depression. That’s not in question. Your plan is horrible. End of story.

The fact you can’t see the backfire in this is crazy. There is a 100% chance of a back fire, hurt feelings, and future trust issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 10:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
I think people are underestimating how expensive home schooling really is.

I know a friend who had to homeschool a kid for 3 years for a medical reason.

Cost them well over $200G. The family was pretty wealthy and still had to do fundraisers all the time to pay for the costs.
I have a hard time believing that cost. Are you sure some of his medical needs weren't being factored into it?

That's even far more than what it would cost for private school for 3 years.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:26 AM

197 posts, read 229,338 times
Although not the same as your child's issues, I had a lot of issues with bullying when I was in high school and stopped going to school over it. On top of that, though I was quite intelligent, I was extremely sensitive to negative teenage behaviors at that point in my life and simply did not wish to surround myself with people behaving badly, which made high school hard (though my HS grades were low, once I attended a community college I got A averages, in part since people were there to learn and the bad behavior was nonexistent). Fortunately I was able to put together a group of close friends who stood by me, and getting involved with certain extracurricular activities (namely those involving helping other people) also helped. I also had special education services and they were actually able to help me with creating this peer group for me.

That said, I wasn't threatening suicide over the bullying. You need to take those suicide threats seriously and find a way to get help for your child. Maybe he'll be able to transition back to school after some time doing homeschooling.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:45 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Just a quick FWIW:

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/...e-time-linked/

It's more about being online/on social media than the device used, and it's not a rigorous study (though lots and LOTS of others back up the premise). Simply put, kids who spend a lot of time online are more depressed than those who don't. Heck, I find the exact same is true for myself, and I'm many decades out of teen years... the more time I spend online, the less happy I become. I vividly remember being Extremely depressed in my college years when I had access to the University network via dial-up, and I spent an inordinate amount of time connected. Life changed and I lost that near constant internet connection, my depression evaporated.

Something to consider for helping your kids depression.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We have 6 kids. Yes at times some of them did not want to go to school. We give them two options: School or go to work in the fields. Picking strawberries has a way of making kids change their minds about school. Works wonders for depression as well.

One of our sons we were told would need to be on drugs. The school was telling us this. My wife asked which one of them in the room was licensed to prescribe medicine. No one in the room raised their hand. My wife noped the heck out of that. We did take him to our Doctor and we were told he is a boy and likes to do boy things. No drugs needed. Now here it is years later, he graduated near the top of his class in High School, is in his third year of college, well adjusted, good all around kid.
How long ago was this? Schools know NEVER to suggest medication - they can suggest consulting with a doctor but never to advocate treatment as it opens them up to a lawsuit.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:09 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:

Cost them well over $200G. The family was pretty wealthy and still had to do fundraisers all the time to pay for the costs.
“If you are considering home education, you are very likely a single-income family, and if you’re like most of us, your budget is pretty tight. Although I have read that the average homeschool family spends about $900 per student per year I have never personally spent nearly that much. My most expensive year was my first year, when I used a prepackaged curriculum and spent over $600 for three children (okay, with inflation, maybe it would be $1,200 total now!). As we have accumulated nonconsumable materials (“living books” or textbooks vs. workbooks), our home library has grown to the point of just adding a few supplemental materials each year.

Homeschooling costs more than public school, but less than private school. That may sound pretty noncommittal, but $900 can sound like a burden or a relief, depending on your previous education experience! What are some of the expenses that you should consider in drawing up an education budget?”

https://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Costs.asp

Old 01-26-2018, 06:35 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
I think he's faking too.

If he's truly depressed, he can't enjoy anything he used to, so he wouldn't be so concerned over where he stays.

If he wants to stay locked in his room 24/7, that sounds like the kid who stayed home from school for 2 weeks over a headache and when mom asks how he is feeling that day, he barks out 10 things he wants for breakfast.

Yeah, you're still sick, OK.

This is EXACTLY what my family says. That if he was really depressed, then he wouldn't want to be glued to the iPad. He wouldn't be eating. Etc. He actually seems happy now that he's sitting at home and playing video games and sleeping and eating all day.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:39 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Letting the kid stay home because someone is being mean to him is not setting a good pattern for the rest of his life.

Is he going to call in sick when his coworker is being not nice?
This is also what my family says. That I am crippling him for life by giving in to his lazy behavior.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:42 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:

Um homeschooling is really cheap.

All you need is a library card, access to social media to find groups/coops in your area, and a bit of imagination. Library offers a ton of resources online, even language classes.

Most museums/county parks offer homeschool activities during the day for cheap. Most museums also offer discounted entry -- heck even LegoLand offers discounted tickets to homeschoolers.

$200K for 3 years? Did they send him to Harvard?

Or did they play the community begging for money? Methinks you've been had.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:44 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“If you are considering home education, you are very likely a single-income family, and if you’re like most of us, your budget is pretty tight. Although I have read that the average homeschool family spends about $900 per student per year I have never personally spent nearly that much. My most expensive year was my first year, when I used a prepackaged curriculum and spent over $600 for three children (okay, with inflation, maybe it would be $1,200 total now!). As we have accumulated nonconsumable materials (“living books” or textbooks vs. workbooks), our home library has grown to the point of just adding a few supplemental materials each year.

Homeschooling costs more than public school, but less than private school. That may sound pretty noncommittal, but $900 can sound like a burden or a relief, depending on your previous education experience! What are some of the expenses that you should consider in drawing up an education budget?”

https://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Costs.asp
Homeschool families spent probably about the same as public school families, with supplies, clothes, sports fees, trips, etc. Public school isn't cheap anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting