Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:55 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
I think people are underestimating how expensive home schooling really is.

I know a friend who had to homeschool a kid for 3 years for a medical reason.

Cost them well over $200G. The family was pretty wealthy and still had to do fundraisers all the time to pay for the costs.
A kid at our school has been in and out of hospital for 3 years with cancer, she’s been homeschooled by the district the entire time for the cost of $0. One of my friends is one of her teachers, they record their lessons for her on an iPad and a district teacher takes it to her in hospital or at home several times a week. I think I know how your friends got so wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 12:02 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
Check out k12.com, it should be free if you live in Georgia.

If it is the school he attends that is the problem, then he should have no problem doing homeschool online. But you should be taking his threats of suicide more seriously, as should he. I know it has to be hard when nobody else seems to believe he’s really sick, even if he is not really depressed or suicidal, making all of this up is also a sign of illness. Perhaps the therapists should be working on why he would make it all up, if that’s what they think he is doing.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:56 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Getting a learning coach won't make him learn.

Don't pass the problem on to a learning coach.

You could home school, if necessary but you can't make him want to learn or be able to learn.

I took my kid out of only MATH in the last two years of high school but he wanted to learn and did, via tutor who came to the house. In fact, it was the only math he ever retained.

I agree with you. It's not an act. Something's wrong.

Also find out your LEGAL rights. Find a lawyer who specializes in these matters for a consult. His psychiatrist should know, too.

Does he indicate a willingness to work on home schooling? If so, great. DO IT. It'll be a test of where his mental health is at the moment if he wants to but can't.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:07 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Getting a learning coach won't make him learn.

Don't pass the problem on to a learning coach.

You could home school, if necessary but you can't make him want to learn or be able to learn.

I took my kid out of only MATH in the last two years of high school but he wanted to learn and did, via tutor who came to the house. In fact, it was the only math he ever retained.

I agree with you. It's not an act. Something's wrong.

Also find out your LEGAL rights. Find a lawyer who specializes in these matters for a consult. His psychiatrist should know, too.

Does he indicate a willingness to work on home schooling? If so, great. DO IT. It'll be a test of where his mental health is at the moment if he wants to but can't.

Yeah I am worried that a learning coach won't be able to get him to do his schoolwork, or, worse, what if he attempts suicide when he's with the coach? It's just a nightmare scenario.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:25 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
14-year-old refuses to go to school, threatens suicide if sent to school. Home-schooling is the only option at this point. Need to hire a learning coach to supervise his studies. Does anyone know the best way to do this?
Quote:
Thanks all for your concern and advice. Tough situation.
The child has been in therapy and on meds for years. Everyone (relatives, doctors, therapist, etc.) except me thinks the child is putting on a big act. Just to get out of going to school. Everyone thinks he is just being lazy and wants to stay home and use the iPad all day. I on the other hand am not interested in calling his bluff for obvious reasons. I do think he is depressed. Other than meds, therapy, docs, dunno what else can be done.

Anyway, need to find a learning/homeschool coach. The school says I need to find my own, hire one, etc.
Quote:
Just wondering, how common is this for you all? A child threatening suicide to avoid school? Anyone ever experienced this?
The docs/professionals tell me this is not uncommon whatsoever. The problem is determining if it's an authentic threat.
Quote:
Yeah I am worried that a learning coach won't be able to get him to do his schoolwork, or, worse, what if he attempts suicide when he's with the coach? It's just a nightmare scenario.
You have two different things going on: a kid who doesn't want to do his schoolwork and a kid who is suicidal. You have to deal with the suicide issue before you deal with the kid not doing his schoolwork issue. If your son is suicidal, it's not because he's being forced to do schoolwork.

Why do his doctor and therapist think he's faking suicidal intent to get out of schoolwork? Have you gotten a second opinion? Why are you the only one who thinks otherwise? Threats of suicide should be taken seriously, but there seems to be more going on here than is apparent from your post.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You have two different things going on: a kid who doesn't want to do his schoolwork and a kid who is suicidal. You have to deal with the suicide issue before you deal with the kid not doing his schoolwork issue. If your son is suicidal, it's not because he's being forced to do schoolwork.

Why do his doctor and therapist think he's faking suicidal intent to get out of schoolwork? Have you gotten a second opinion? Why are you the only one who thinks otherwise? Threats of suicide should be taken seriously, but there seems to be more going on here than is apparent from your post.

The doctors think that a child who threatens suicide to get what he wants is not uncommon and not necessarily indicative of suicidal behavior.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:13 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
The doctors think that a child who threatens suicide to get what he wants is not uncommon and not necessarily indicative of suicidal behavior.
That's a very general statement.

Have they given a reason to disbelieve that your son's threats are real?

Old 01-26-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
That's a very general statement.

Have they given a reason to disbelieve that your son's threats are real?
Among other reasons I have already stated, his depression seems to lessen on the weekends, or when school is out.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:56 PM

2,868 posts, read 1,148,015 times
Op, I've skimmed through the prior posts - I have not read them in depth. This is frightening for you, but don't be held hostage by this fear - reach out and obtain whatever resources you can for both your child - and you. Is a psychiatrist involved in your son's care at this point?

Old 01-26-2018, 05:14 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
What is so hard about changing the wifi password?
Boredom will set in and he will come out of his room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting