Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 10:25 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times

Advertisements

My son had a first grade teacher with this rule. We told him to just get up and go and we’d deal with her. Wound up being a huge ordeal that involved meeting with a counselor, principal and teacher and they actually defended the teacher! Long story short we got a pediatrician to write a note and sign that our son had to have bathroom access at all times and could not be made to hold it. It worked as soon as we put that on file and he was never told no again. I hope it changed for others too.

I can see having determined bathroom breaks, sure, but if a kid really has to go they have to go. I have walked out of a meeting because I had to before - sometimes you just can’t hold it. And I sure as heck don’t expect my child to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 12:03 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskel View Post
I teach 9 and 10 year olds. I don't allow children to go to the toilet/bathroom during class time, only during break and lunch. Would the rule bother you?
I guess you fancy pools of urine, crying and humiliated kids, and their irate parents showing up.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:16 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Yes, it's ridiculous. If you gotta go, you gotta go. The body doesn't work around mediocre public school instruction

Old 03-01-2018, 06:46 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I can see this rule in high school. People need to learn to time their breaks. You cannot walk out of a meeting, a courtroom, or drop your welding torch because you suddenly have to pee. You have to finish what you are doing. Saying you need to go before or hold it is something they will need to learn, but 9-10 years old is too young.
It should NEVER be in any school.
We don't need schools enforcing any rules regarding using the washroom...
People DO "learn to time their breaks" when it becomes necessary {as in your examples}...not when in school.
Have you ever heard of someone losing their job because they stopped to use the washroom????

This is not something that anyone "needs to learn"...it's a given in certain situations...and that's something every adult understands..not something they learned in a school.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:07 PM

69 posts, read 176,531 times
As a second grade teacher, I see both sides. It's frustrating to have children interrupt teaching to ask to go. Even worse is when one child starts a chain- one asks to go and like 4 others decide that they want to go, too.
To not allow children to go except during break and lunch seems restrictive. I know a first grade teacher who ended up with a student peeing all over her floor because of this type of rule.
In my classroom, the kids may not go while I'm giving whole-group instruction. That means that they can go... during silent reading time, during 'seat work', when we first come in in the morning, during our two class bathroom breaks (one in the morning and one in the afternoon), on our way to specials, or at lunch/recess. By maybe mid September, the kids have figured out when they can and cannot go and it's not really an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting