Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:33 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,606,192 times

Advertisements

My daughter had a lot of anxiety in fourth grade and I took her for a few visits to a therapist, which helped. She was mostly afraid that something was going to happen to me and became very clingy. She also had a great school counselor and when she felt anxious they let her go to the counselor's office to call me so she could be reassured that I was fine. That only happened once or twice. Her fourth grade teacher told me it was pretty common at that age, because that's when they start to realize that mom and dad can't fix everything and they are able to start seeing consequences of actions.

The anxiety cropped up again a few times over the years but a few more trips to the therapist always helped her. We have to be careful about over-cautioning her about things. We went to Yellowstone National Park when she was about six and told her to stay on the path because you can break through the crust to the hot stuff below (there are signs about it all over the place). We overdid it and she wouldn't even get out of the car. So keep that in mind with your son, too. A little warning might go a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 AM

632 posts, read 1,836,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
The common denominator is mental illness. Some treated, some not. Be very careful what you advise someone else with regards to mental illness.
I’d much rather have some lay person suggest I research the potential dangers of psych meds on children’s developing brains than take any doctor’s recommendation on it, psychiatrist or not. If they offer you samples while figuring out which med will work for you? Run the other way UNTIL you do your own due diligence. Ask someone who wasn’t told the dangers of these meds, especially the mind and body’s dependence (not addiction) on them, who ever tried to get off and ended up losing their careers, marriages, and sometimes their lives how THEY feel about these meds….

SSRI antidepressants don’t cure mental illness. It might suppress symptoms, for awhile, but it will then cause its own set of issues. If someone wasn’t “mentally ill” going into some medications (for example, being put on SSRIs for anxiety or muscle pain or menopausal hot flashes, etc.), you likely will be years down the road, especially if you ever want to try and get off these meds. Increased suicide and homicidal acts by teens have risen along with the rising practice of prescribing these meds to children. All you have to do is research the facts. You won’t hear much about the prescription med angle on the mainstream news because they’re too afraid of losing advertising dollars from the pharmaceutical companies.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that people should be made VERY aware of the great potential for harm. I bet if Don Schell had known that after only TWO pills of the SSRI Paxil, that he'd kill his wife, daughter, and baby granddaughter, that he'd wish someone had cautioned him or his wife of what to look out for.... Many of these incidents don't make the news as the pharma companies settle BEFORE court and seal the documents and gag the recipients of the payoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...qM&app=desktop

Old 02-21-2018, 11:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,024,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
I’d much rather have some lay person suggest I research the potential dangers of psych meds on children’s developing brains than take any doctor’s recommendation on it, psychiatrist or not. If they offer you samples while figuring out which med will work for you? Run the other way UNTIL you do your own due diligence. Ask someone who wasn’t told the dangers of these meds, especially the mind and body’s dependence (not addiction) on them, who ever tried to get off and ended up losing their careers, marriages, and sometimes their lives how THEY feel about these meds….

SSRI antidepressants don’t cure mental illness. It might suppress symptoms, for awhile, but it will then cause its own set of issues. If someone wasn’t “mentally ill” going into some medications (for example, being put on SSRIs for anxiety or muscle pain or menopausal hot flashes, etc.), you likely will be years down the road, especially if you ever want to try and get off these meds. Increased suicide and homicidal acts by teens have risen along with the rising practice of prescribing these meds to children. All you have to do is research the facts. You won’t hear much about the prescription med angle on the mainstream news because they’re too afraid of losing advertising dollars from the pharmaceutical companies.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that people should be made VERY aware of the great potential for harm. I bet if Don Schell had known that after only TWO pills of the SSRI Paxil, that he'd kill his wife, daughter, and baby granddaughter, that he'd wish someone had cautioned him or his wife of what to look out for.... Many of these incidents don't make the news as the pharma companies settle BEFORE court and seal the documents and gag the recipients of the payoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...qM&app=desktop
Therapy does not automatically mean meds!

Old 02-21-2018, 05:42 PM

5,025 posts, read 2,229,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
As I said before those dogs are cruel. The "slobbering" is really taking a taste of your flesh to decide if they'd like it. How do I know? They are either bashing me with their wildly swinging tail or placing their head strategically on my lap to get into a really good position to bite.
I don't want to derail this thread too much, but that's not why dogs lick. There are a number of reasons. Some submissive dogs will lick you when they're seeking your approval. Some dogs will lick you if they smell something 'good' on your skin. They lick if they like you; they're grooming you, like they would their puppies. Yes, they use licking to see how you taste - it's something they do in addition to smelling you - but tasting you has NOTHING to do with them wanting to take a bite of you. It's how they figure out who you are.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:42 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 11 days ago)

34,434 posts, read 16,527,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I don't want to derail this thread too much, but that's not why dogs lick. There are a number of reasons. Some submissive dogs will lick you when they're seeking your approval. Some dogs will lick you if they smell something 'good' on your skin. They lick if they like you; they're grooming you, like they would their puppies. Yes, they use licking to see how you taste - it's something they do in addition to smelling you - but tasting you has NOTHING to do with them wanting to take a bite of you. It's how they figure out who you are.
Then why do they whack with their tail if not cruelty?

Old 02-27-2018, 10:16 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,711,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Then why do they whack with their tail if not cruelty?
They wag their tail because they're happy. It's NOT cruelty. If they hit you with their tail it's accidental. If a dog licks you it also can be a sign of submission. Their put their head in your lap because a lot of scent is located in that area and scent is a big part of how they make sense of the world. It has nothing to do with being in a position to bite. Your ideas about dog behavior are totally wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting