Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 11:08 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
My son has always been sort of a worrier, but this year is worse. His fear of death has been prevalent. Nothing has happened to him personally-but he won’t watch anything remotely scary on tv, these school shootings we hear about have him nervous, global warming, house fires, pollution, tornados, - basically any type of catastrophe. His imagination/anxiety is in overdrive.

It just seems like every day he has a new fear. We’re goingbon a cruise for vacation and he is worried about the boat sinking.

He is in a church group Awanas that he looks forward to going to every Wednesday, but no other activities. He loves to read and play video games, especially Pokémon. He loves to laugh and joke around. His grades are good- gifted and talented program. He would greatly benefit from having an extracurricular activity for the social interaction.

How can I get him to relax about these big issues?
Sounds like hereditary anxiety. An exaggerated flight/survival response which was needed to survive in ancient times. Those that were more aware of danger were favored by natural selection and passed their genes. This tends to be more common in women. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy could work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 11:20 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
For what its worth, anxiety has motivated many successful people in this life. It can be harnessed for good things, with decent direction. You'll find everyone has their own divergent views on this kind of subject. Been there done that. My oldest was terrified of moving to California (earthquakes) and would not calm down about it until I promised at least there are no tornadoes or hurricanes here. Keep him off of YouTube.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:38 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Therapy helps my otherwise very sunny boy tremendously. He does have this worry issue and it does run in our family. Hearing from "someone else" besides Mom gives it all credence, I believe. Because Mom will of course go "everything's all right." But a real worrier of a child will think, "She says that because she loves me, but what if it won't be???" A non-family member who is able to maintain an emotional distance but is trained with addressing such things can be a tremendous help.
This has a caveat too, and an unavoidable one at that. The child's age will often work against him/her during therapy. He/she may perceive the therapist as an authority figure, or an extension of other authority figures, rather than someone "on his/her team". I know I did. (Interestingly, I didn't harbor this view of medical doctors, even during painful procedures.) Which could make the kid clam up, as far as serious issues are concerned, such as nightmares. All due to a potential fear of "getting in trouble with the therapist".

Besides, in my case, all they did is spew out crap like "How did your nightmare make you feel?" , rather than give me anything useful to work with. I don't know; maybe today's therapy evolved. In the 90's, it was the mental equivalent of bloodletting. But any therapist who's too stupid to know how a nightmare makes a child feel, should NOT be practicing therapy with troubled kids.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-16-2018 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-16-2018, 03:45 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,160 times
My daughter suffers from anxiety. She's 13, but it's always been there. There are times I want to rip my hair out because it seems so hard to negotiate her fears. It's not easy. In fact, it's really, really hard.

First, make sure you talk to your son's doctor. I would even try some therapy--it is often easier for our kids to talk about this stuff with someone else. My daughter is petrified of "bothering" us. It's not because of anything we've said. It's just inside of her to feel that way.

One of the most powerful things I've found is to get her to recognize her anxiety as a "Brave Warrior" who is trying to protect her. She now sees her anxiety as something she can negotiate with. That Brave Warrior is great if she needs to run away from a bear, right? So if what is ramping up her Brave Warrior is not bee

We also have boundaries that we've agreed on when she's NOT anxiety-filled. One of her triggers is homework. If the homework isn't done perfectly, then she's going to be homeless--and that's not an exaggeration. That's what her brain does to her. And then she gets frozen. She can't do ANYTHING, which makes it even worse. So, we have decided on ways to deal with that situation--she gets three chances to get control, and we have various ways of doing it (deep breathing, taking a walk, etc).

NEVER say "calm down" or "it's no big deal." I know my daughter feels things out of proportion. If she's to the point of sobbing, simply telling her to stop doesn't help, it adds to the freak-out.

We used to do an exchange journal. She would write or draw in it, then put it under my pillow. Then I would do the same. We had rules about it--one of the biggies was, "we don't have to talk about anything in here." So if she would write something, I had to ask permission to speak to her about it, or tell anyone. It was safe. And it allowed us to communicate freely. We talk instead of writing it. But have some of the same rules. We can say, "I don't want to go there right now" and respect one another. She knows that if anything was happening that made me fear for her safety or that of another person, we'd have to figure out a solution. That hasn't happened.

We also have a rule with both kids that if something is going on at school, they can always tell me, but I promise not to go to the teacher or whomever without them agreeing to it. My son did have a bully in elementary school, and we eventually got to a place where he agreed I could talk to the teacher. There was no physical contact, just mean talk. It's important that they trust me enough, because they know it's hard not to run to protect them.

My daughter has a fear of dying. She says it always is there, sort of running in the background. The important thing is she tries to work past it. She colors, she draws, she listens to music (a Spotify account and wireless headphones were an amazing investment!). She has found ways to distract herself from what her mind perceives as threats.

It's so hard when your little one is suffering. It's also hard when you can't wrap your head around why something is such a big deal. I hope you can find some good advice and some relief.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:46 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
My son has always been sort of a worrier, but this year is worse. His fear of death has been prevalent. Nothing has happened to him personally-but he won’t watch anything remotely scary on tv, these school shootings we hear about have him nervous, global warming, house fires, pollution, tornados, - basically any type of catastrophe. His imagination/anxiety is in overdrive.

It just seems like every day he has a new fear. We’re goingbon a cruise for vacation and he is worried about the boat sinking.

He is in a church group Awanas that he looks forward to going to every Wednesday, but no other activities. He loves to read and play video games, especially Pokémon. He loves to laugh and joke around. His grades are good- gifted and talented program. He would greatly benefit from having an extracurricular activity for the social interaction.

How can I get him to relax about these big issues?
Seek professional help.
Not here.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:52 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
He may need to talk to a professional. Maybe he was traumatized somehow. Once he can open up to someone that would be a large first step. Lots of scary shows on TV for a 10 year old these days. Watch what he watches.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:23 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Seek professional help.
Not here.
It's hard for most of us to know what is normal and what needs help. Before my daughter's OCD diagnosis, I had trouble distinguishing between some of her behaviors and the stages that kids naturally go through and grow out of. Asking other parents if their kids have the same issues is a good way to figure out if your child needs professional help, or just moral support from parents while outgrowing the issue.

Also, some causes of anxiety are hereditary, meaning you may have seen your relatives or spouse or spouse's relatives exhibiting some of the same behavior, or you may have it yourself, and that makes it doubly hard to recognize as a problem in your child.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:35 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I have had bad experiences with therapist, too. But I have found help from some. I think its a bit foolish to cast judgement on an entire profession from experience some time ago with 2 "therapists" (were they?) and 1 student.

CBT can really help kids with anxiety. Its doing a disservice to warn against it. Warn to follow your gut for your child, to learn as much as you can, etc.
They were therapists; what else could they be? Although I'm sure they were LCSW's or some equivalent. Psychologists (Ph.D.'s or Psy.D.'s) would have been cost-prohibitive. Better than a LCSW or not, I have no idea.

Still, if I were the OP, I have my kid do talk therapy only as a very, very last resort. Therapy is general is very pie-in-the-sky, and that's if a therapist doesn't do more harm than good, like mine did. I'd start with something more down-to-earth and rational, like a good prescription medication and/or some high-intensity individual sports.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Put him on a horse (my answer to 99% of everything). Once he learns he can partner with a 1000 pound animal he'll feel like a superhero.
I think this is an amazing answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

Horseback riding is seen as a feminine sport. ].
Who on earth sees horseback riding as a feminine sport? It is the sport of kings, and of men. Cowboys are not feminine and polo players certainly are not.

Even Prince Charles look hot on a polo pony.

You can say a lot about horseback riding, elitist, expensive, but feminine it's never been.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:30 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
<>Horseback riding is seen as a feminine sport.<>
I don't know why I'm bothering to argue against that since you are well set in your ways, BUT I'll tell the tale for the others:
I was an EMT and once had to assist an injured professional jockey. Very short, very compact, and probably the strongest, most muscular man I ever worked with. When I palpated his shoulders and arms his muscular structure felt like he was made of marble. Not a feminine trade all. A lot of recreational riders are women, and my daughters both had horses. The older could shake your hand and make YOU cry. Controlling a horse that outweighs you by over 1000 pounds is a mind game that takes great strength.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting