Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

My mom would have asked one question: "Where is my strap?"

Always seemed to calm us down. The funny thing is I have never seen my moms strap. I don't think she had a belt. I don't remember seeing it. Maybe she just never had to bring it out. It was the threat that got us back inline.

My dad on the other hand, had a thick leather belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 09:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
So true. I gave my daughter Dramamine on our last flight because she gets motion sick (NOT because I wanted to drug her). I did expect she would sleep, it was an over night flight and she was tired from the trip we had been on. She got hyper instead. Being 11 and not having autism, it wasn't a real problem. She was able to manage. But some kids react opposite to the meds and can get super deregulated.
That is a common side effect, also with Benadryl.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My mom would have asked one question: "Where is my strap?"

Always seemed to calm us down. The funny thing is I have never seen my moms strap. I don't think she had a belt. I don't remember seeing it. Maybe she just never had to bring it out. It was the threat that got us back inline.

My dad on the other hand, had a thick leather belt.
The problem is some of today's parents are scared their child won't like them if they set boundaries or try any form of discipline. They want their child to be their friend and always give in to every little request. Before you know it you are raising a little monster who whines, cries, throws things, and acts like a brat because that is all he knows. Kids need a parent not a friend. If you are giving into every little thing little Johnny wants you are not doing your job.

Ever notice a kid in the store who is screaming at the top of his lungs and as soon as he gets what he wants he gets quiet and there are actually no tears. It's all an act. He has trained his parents to be exactly what he wants.

Now put that kid in a public environment such as a plane ride and everyone else has to suffer because poor little Johnny needs to get his way every time.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:20 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That is a common side effect, also with Benadryl.
On the positive side, she didn't get air sick

Old 02-16-2018, 09:24 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
*rummages through drawer to find "best parent ever" medal to pin on your chest*

Do you realize one of the complaints everyone has of this child is that he was walked around the cabin and didn't remain seated in his chair the entire flight?
Do you realize I just explained the physical things I needed to do with my son too?

No need to get defensive with the medal comment. I parented. Many people do. Those who have a child with special needs have to do it more, and more creatively. I wasn't smiling about it. I wasn't beatific. I was damned exhausted. But if you want to have kids...you have to be prepared to parent. No matter what hands you are dealt. That is life.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:25 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
if you want a stress free trip with well behaved passengers, fly first class or drive your own car to your destination.
I agree to a point. I know when I'm flying that parents have small children, many of the kids are going through a traumatic experience, and there will likely be some distress and crying involved. So I bring a hefty dose of earplugs and sympathy with me. But subjecting other passengers to 8 hours of a child crying is not acceptable in any way. (And no, having a child who is disabled or special needs is no excuse either.)

Old 02-16-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
So true. I gave my daughter Dramamine on our last flight because she gets motion sick (NOT because I wanted to drug her). I did expect she would sleep, it was an over night flight and she was tired from the trip we had been on. She got hyper instead. Being 11 and not having autism, it wasn't a real problem. She was able to manage. But some kids react opposite to the meds and can get super deregulated.
If something this unbelievably drastically out of character were going on I would think the mother would be a bit more concerned. Me, I'd be panicked. That is serious. Not getting that feeling though of course we only saw a clip. But one would think in this case the mom would be alerting the crew and RUNNING off that plane for the hospital on landing and surely that would have been newsworthy too.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:30 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Do you realize I just explained the physical things I needed to do with my son too?

No need to get defensive with the medal comment. I parented. Many people do. Those who have a child with special needs have to do it more, and more creatively. I wasn't smiling about it. I wasn't beatific. I was damned exhausted. But if you want to have kids...you have to be prepared to parent. No matter what hands you are dealt. That is life.
Sorry about the pin comment. Once it popped into my head I just couldn't not post it. ;D

All parents have to do what you did on the plane - I certainly packed "tackle boxes" for my kids with entertaining trinket surprises in them all gift wrapped, books to read, delicious treats, etc, walked them up and down the aisles, played the switch seats game.

It's exhausting.

I never had a child who would scream like that for entertainment, though. So bullet dodged. I have complete empathy for a parent whose child screams for nothing. And you do see them in grocery stores - the child is just screaming out. Not upset, not trying to get something he wants, just for the apparent pleasure of screaming.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I traveled tons with my kids when they were little. They don't have autism, but that was how it was with them before they could entertain themselves. However, I do realize I was mostly lucky because neither full on freaked out on the plane. We cant always control our kids. Things go sideways. I wasn't on that plane and have a grumpy person posting a tiny snippit of the flight, claiming it was 8 full hours (I doubt it). So I am not going to condemn the mom or think I am so much better then them. I have had some difficult times as a parent and may have been recorded or judged. I don't know. I am just not willing to get on the bandwagon
I don't think I am better. I was putting in my experience as people were theorizing an autism connection. That is something I have literal, not theoretical, experience with and so I gave my input, as other people are giving theirs.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:32 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If something this unbelievably drastically out of character were going on I would think the mother would be a bit more concerned. Me, I'd be panicked. That is serious. Not getting that feeling though of course we only saw a clip. But one would think in this case the mom would be alerting the crew and RUNNING off that plane for the hospital on landing and surely that would have been newsworthy too.
Maybe I didn't watch the right video. I saw a short and highly edited video that was mostly audio (filming the back of a seat mostly) where you could hear screaming...a couple shots of the kid climbing up on the seats. I did not see 8 hours of the child running around screaming and the mom not attending to him. Perhaps I saw the wrong video?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting